“Took out of town guests to lunch”

Port Gamble General Store and Cafe
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Historic Feel,Modern Appeal. The Port Gamble General Store & Cafe is a great place to come for any occasion! The historic building takes you back in time, while offering flavors of today; fun gifts and home decor, souvenirs, ice cream, espresso, and a cafe that serves up from scratch cooking using organic and locally grown/sustainable products as much as possible.
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

The last time I was at the Port Gamble Cafe approx 4 months ago, lunch was disappointing plus it was very noisy.
I wanted to take my friends to Butcher Baker Provisions but they were closed on Tuesdays. So, I tried this restaurant one more time. It was very disappointing for me and my guests. The waitress was not friendly at all. Almost condescending when asked questions. I ordered a cup of northwest chowder. This is the description
"Made with local clams, smoked salmon, celery, carrots, onion, fresh herbs and cream"
It was the worst chowder I've ever had. Very thin with very little substance. I saw 2 small pea size pieces of salmon, no clams. I couldn't even detect vegetables, plus served lukewarm.
The greens salad was ok, but it is "just greens."
My friends had the fish and chips. For the price, they said it was disappointing. Over cooked, soggy fries. We had to ask twice for water refills and the 2nd coke ordered came at the end of the meal after being reminded.
This is the last time I will be going there. Total waste of $50.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

Family was having an amazing Labor day visit to the area, Decided to stop in Port Gamble. Well this place is a gamble. Really cute place should have been an amazing experience. But it was not meant to be. Staff was really nice. seemed undertrained not well organized. Place was half full had to wait 15 minutes to be seated on the patio because they had to clear tables. Ok looked out at 4 empty tables with nothing on them. We went over to the Store fun with lots to look at. Came back after 10 minutes. waited another 10. Got seated waited 5 minutes for water. Waited 10 minutes more for server to take order. Ordered half order of Fish and chips, plus a full order. and 2 burgers for the kids not young kids 13 and 17. and a appetizer of waffle chips. It took 15 minutes before appetizer showed up, very good everyone enjoyed to dip. took another 10 minutes before food showed up. Most fish and chips tell you how many chips you get in a order and i didn't ask so a full order is 2 and a half is 1. at the $13 plate price I thought it would be 3 and 2 my mistake. All of us got cold fries, The burgers were an attempt at gourmet wished their mark. My 13 year old son who is a hoover vacuum when it comes to food had to remove everything off the meat and just eat it. by then we had been in this place for over an hour and a half. enough said. Staff was super nice just not well trained. Simple menu and above pricing. You should be nailing every plate.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

Having passed through Port Gamble on many occasions on our way to/from the Kingston ferry terminal we decided to stop in and visit this restored 'Company Town' and, while there, had a delightful lunch at the Port Gamble General Store and Cafe. To be frank we weren't expecting a great deal but were pleasantly surprised by the quality. My wife had the Fish & Chips which she felt to be well above average both as to quality and size while I enjoyed some of the best mussels (Moule Frites) that I have had in a long while. The service, while pleasant, was a little slow but I attribute this to the fact that it was a beautiful Summer day and the staff was stretched a little thin due the large numbers of customers wanting to sit on the deck and enjoy the sunshine! Don't think you can go far wrong here and you have the added bonus of a delightful restored town in which to roam around after your meal.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

First of all the wait, ridiculously long. Then more waiting for the food. My husband ordered the smoked salmon omelet and you needed a magnifying glass to find the salmon. The waitress did bring him a little bowl with maybe an extra tablespoon of salmon in it. I had the fish and chips. The fish was just on the cusp of being overcooked. The fries, well let's just say I was served what was left at the bottom of the fryer. Our server was lousy and really needed to button a few more buttons on her top. We won't be back.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

If you haven't stopped at Port Gamble, you should, and if you have, you probably already have had a meal at the General Store and Cafe. While Port Gamble is a "cute" place, there isn't much there except the General Store and Cafe. But it is worth a stop, especially for breakfast. My wife had an Indian Taco breakfast plate that what it lacked in qualtity was made up for in quantity. My wife isn't a big eater at breakfast, so the Indian taco was a bit much but she tried it because it sounded intriguing. She said she enjoyed it and is glad she tried it but wouldn't order it again. I ordered the Almond French Toast and it was very good and very substantial. I managed to finish it because it was so tasty but probably should not have been quite so indulgent. The General Store is worth a stop but the food is expensive and only average to somewhat above average in quality.