“Nice place on the rivet to unwind”

Trumpeter Public House
Ranked #11 of 135 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 60
Cuisines: American, Irish, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 14 September 2018

We enjoyed our evening here, just a few yards from the river in Mt. Vernon. We were seated at a nice table not far from the big open door to the street, the weather was nice so it was a good thing.

My wife ordered the French Onion Soup, I had the Stuffed Mushrooms. For main courses we had the Fish and Chips and the House Special Cod/South African Style. We shared the fresh Rhubarb and Berry Crisp.

Everything was nice, the wine selections were good and priced well. Our server was a bit young and could have done the wine service better if more trained. But it was all ok in the end.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

We went pre-theatre for dinner, which the server was good enough to ask about so as to make sure we had our food in time - they were busy. Good selection of wine by the glass and beers. People with food allergies or avoidances will particularly appreciate the menu, which identifies for each dish whether its gluten-free or has options, dairy-free etc. Items like calamari are gluten free, which they do wherever possible.
Our meals tasted good. Mine did have an issue, which was addressed quickly and the server was very apologetic.
Easy walk to the Lincoln Theatre.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

Excellent example of an exported English Public House (Tavern/Pub). Limited menu but the items on it are all excellent. Highly recommend the Shepard's Pie when they have it, also the French Onion soup is a favorite. Seating is comfortable, in a variety of formats, from 4 person tables to 8 person booths, to easy chairs and a long bar. Service is caring and professional. Give them a break when they get busy. Don't need a reservation, but you may have to wait a few minutes during busy times. Located next to the river in downtown Mt Vernon. Parking nearby can be a challenge at times.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

I had lunch at the Trumpeter in Mt Vernon. The local was nice, an "old town" location near the river. I ordered the shepherd's pie. It was both unusual and delicious. It is an item I would recommend to others.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

We enjoyed a good lunch at Trumpeter. I guess vast portions of food are a good thing for some diners, but it is hard to imagine anyone could eat the Reuben they put out plus an order of fries and be fit for anything other than a nap in the afternoon.

It was a good Reuben, with too much corned beef, but they got the sauerkraut and sauces right. It also came with my choice of soup, salad, or fries, and among the soup options was French Onion, half a meal in itself. I’ve never been served F. Onion soup in a flared bowl before (doesn’t it always come in a steep-sided bowl?) but it was very good despite being sincerely messy at the edges.

My spouse had her standard fish and chips. The fish was declared to be very good, but the fries were fat, soft, and poofy instead of crisp. Needing a box for the second half of my Rueben, we also snagged the leftover fries, and they were considerably better with eggs when we re-fried them at breakfast.

It was ArtWalk w/e. Hard to know why they were staffed with only one badly overworked, but cheerful waitress and a bartender. With a birthday party for 15 or so in a side room, plus a fairly large lunch crowd of ArtWeek people, I expect we were not the only diners who “understood,” yet still felt somewhat neglected.

Mt. Vernon appears to have a vibrant and competent restaurant scene. I expect there are a lot of towns this size where Trumpeter Public House would be close to the best eatery in town.