“So quiet -- we'll be back”

The Anchorage Cottages
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed for two nights, with our kids. This place was very quiet, which was great.
The walk to the beach might be a bit much for families with super small kids, but for ours (12 and 14) it was fine. It was nice to go down to the beach early in the morning and be the only ones down there!
We don't have dogs, but saw a lot of people staying with dogs, but never heard any noise.
The owner was friendly and the room was nice-sized. The tv was small, but that's not something that's important to us. My son loved the jigsaw puzzles in the room.
The kitchen had everything we needed, and the bed was super-comfortable. Next time we'll get a two-bedroom, rather than a 1-bedroom, so our kids have a little more space to spread out.
We really have no suggestions -- loved the sitting area in front of the cottage and played basketball for a few minutes on the basketball court. We liked that it was out of the main drag off Long Beach, but still close enough to drive in quickly. We plan to come back.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank beth d

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I live on the Long Beach Peninsula so it's strange to write a review for a local Motel, but I recently used the Anchorage to accommodate "overflow" family and friends during a summer reunion. I've lived here for years and didn't even know about the Anchorage--what a gem! It's very close to town and all the wonderful summer activities but just enough off the beaten track to feel private and quiet. The staff was incredibly accommodating and gracious--from the moment they answered the phone and took my reservation until my last family member checked out.

I looked at lots of local places when I started planning this reunion last fall and the Anchorage offered the best location, the most individual privacy, really affordable rates, and the exact rustic-though-clean-and-cozy ambiance that I was looking for. And their customer service is top-notch--my sister had some very minor plumbing trouble with a slow-draining sink and it was addressed immediately to her great satisfaction and everyone who stayed there commented on how friendly and accommodating the staff was.

We have a lot of gatherings on our property but my house doesn't sleep 20 people; now that I've found the Anchorage I won't hesitate to send my family here and what's even better, with all the cute little cottages having kitchens, I'll no longer get stuck with all the cooking!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank HappyClam49
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We booked 3 cottages in January and when we arrived in July, the rates had increased by $10 per night. We each stayed 4 nights so that $10 a night adds up. They told us that we were basically screwed and had to pay the extra money if we wanted to stay there. It was my grandma that made the reservations and given her credit card to pay for the rooms. She is in her 80's and the lady in the office was very rude to her and took advantage of the fact that she was an older very noce woman. We should've only been charged the amount we were told in January. I own a company of my own and would NEVER do this to someone. If anything, we should've got a discount when leaving because we had one less person than originally planned and the room I stayed in with my children was a dump. The bath tub was litterally falling apart, the bed had bugs in it and the tv didn't work. VERY bad business.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank djalymom
AnchorageManagement, Manager at The Anchorage Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

A request was made in October of 2010 for accommodations during summer of 2011. At the time of the initial inquiry, the rates were $10 less per cottage, but by the time the reservation was actually made on January 18th, our rates had increased (our first increase in 6 years). We are certain that the booking agent for this party was notified of the new rates at the time of booking and while we regret this misunderstanding, we feel all of our policies were followed and that our management team did not act inappropriately.

Though not mentioned in this guest’s review, it is our pleasure to offer a Senior Discount to our qualifying customers and even though that typically applies to only the cottage wherein the senior guest is staying, in this instance we applied the discount to all 3 cottages for all 4 nights--a savings of $135.50 which we feel was a more than generous attempt to assuage any hard feelings due to this misunderstanding.

Finally, we are proud of the high standards of cleanliness and comfort that we offer in our cottages and eagerly follow-up on all concerns and criticisms regarding maintenance and upkeep. When we investigated the other complaints of this guest we found the TV working perfectly and nary an insect in sight, just as we expected.

While we regret the obvious hard feelings that prompted this poor review of our establishment, we believe with certainty that they are unfounded.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

We just got home from a 3 day trip to Long Beach. Stayed in cottage #7 with my husband, son, daughter, son-in-law, new baby and our Jack Russell Terrier. We had a fine time even though the weather didn't cooperate. Room was nice and bright with enough seats and beds for all of us. It was very quiet just like being at home. The kitchen was adequate but the dinning table was a bit small for 6. Love the location. It is good for walking on the beach and for biking to town. The bike trail makes it the best, longest beach in the state.

Room Tip: South end of motel is best for privacy.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank meandmyJR
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I looked a lot on the internet at properties in Long Beach before I made reservations at the Anchorage Inn. We were traveling with two dogs and I wanted a place we could walk them right outside and a place that was quiet. We stayed here in January so the entire town is very quiet and one night we were the only tennants. The units are older, but clean and well kept with a lot of charm. Very nice hotel staff too. Some of the fixtures remind me of our house when I was a child! All the reviews are right on with how great this place is. The only con we have to add is that they don't have a fitness room, but for a short stay we decided we could forgo one necessity. They don't have toiletries or hair dryers, but ask at the desk and they can fix you up.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple