“living social special”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Aloha, Oregon, United States
“living social special”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

must say totally different than your average hotel with carpeting, dressers and ammenities to take back home with you---we stayed in an ocean view room which was very nice but would have been nice to have table and chair --still trying to figure the use of the crates---bathroom area was very cold without carpet---office staff very helpful and accomodating ---fresh coffee and fruit flavored water all day +bikes to ride!

Room Tip: haave to go for the ocean view - it's a must but costs more than what is advertised with Living...
1 Thank tobisgammy1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I read some of the other reviews for this hotel and not everyone like it. I think you have to look at it for what it is, a hotel that is committed to reuse what they can and make it work. Furniture is a little eclectic, but functional. Rooms are not huge, but big enough for all our needs. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a great basket breakfast the morning we left. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: They only have wifi in the main building.
1 Thank Linda B
Tacoma, Washington, United States
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Ok if you like pallets you'll love this place. EVERYTHING is made out of used pallets. The bed, the bed side tables, shelfs. I thought this place is really cheap....but if you like to stay in a small room with nothing but a view I guess it would be ok. Not very many channels on TV but they do give u a DVD player. No microwave hair dryers, irons, NO CARPET or even a dresser in these rooms. Weak Wifi signal but no comunity computer to use. There are microwaves to use in theyer lounges. There are free bike u can borrow and 1 little wagon u can use for beach coaming. NO POOL OR SPA. I must say though we stayed in a room with beautiful view and VERY cozy bed. I just found the place to be way too minamal for my taste. I like big rooms and lots of amenitys and furniture. I bought the stay on groupon so it was really cheap to stay I also upgraded it for a bigger bed and view. So the price was great for us....but I would not pay full price.

Room Tip: pick the 4th floor better views and less noise from kids.
2 Thank Amy B
seattle
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I got a livingsocial deal for Adrift Hotel and we had a fantastic weekend getaway. The hotel is remodeled very nicely and they have comfy beds with nice duvets. It's right on the ocean (be sure to ask for a room with a view) walking distance from the boardwalk. They also have a lovely lobby complete with complimentary delicious coffee, citrus infused water, bicycles, and dvds to use in your room. There are plenty of great restaurants nearby as well.

We will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nwtrip
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Some of the good things - the hotel is next to the beach, so it is a very short walk. The staff were nice. Bikes are available for free, as are DVDs and board games. They accept pets (we don't have dogs, but many people did and the hotel seems to cater to that in a big way). They have a lovely breakfast basket available in the morning and the Groupon deal we had included a bottle of wine and a box of organic, vegan truffles. The lobby has some nice snack options as well as coffee and water. You can also buy chilled wine and juice. There were lots of outlets by the bed, so you could plug in your phone and use it as an alarm. You can get a hair dryer and ironing board/iron in the lobby if you need one.

Now the reason why I rated this hotel as poor. The decor is awful. They present themselves as an ecologically minded hotel with a small footprint. There are lots of ways to do that without feeling like you are sleeping in someone's basement that has been decorated by their son's middle school shop class. The pictures on the website don't give you the full feel of how tacky this place is. The bathroom had wood floors that look like bare subflooring. From looking at the responses to other negative reviews, I see that they say they are actually sealed, but you don't get that sense from looking at them and it creates a situation where you wonder how clean they are. The furnishings are wooden crates, plain wooden shelves, a platform for the bed (think futon) that is also made of unfinished wood. The room wasn't very clean. The bed linens were low quality and the pillows were at the stage where we would have tossing them at home. We pulled out the spare blanket and it was rough and uncomfortable. There was one small chair and the design of the room would have made it hard to move the small couch-style lounger to a point where you could see the TV, so we mostly sat on the bed. This also meant perching on the bed, eating the items from our nice breakfast basket off the wooden crate end table.

I had brought a travel hair dryer and had to search for an outlet in the main room that would take that type of plug (standard hairdryer type) - the outet near the bathroom sink was too close to the wall. The shampoo and soap are in refillable containers, a nice ecological touch but given how unclean things felt in general, those weren't very inviting.

At one point a fire alarm went off and we headed to the door to see what was up - we never did find out as the alarm stopped- and I noticed that there was no evacuation map on the door - something I have seen on doors of every one of the hotels I have stayed at in the past (I travel for work, so I've seen a lot of hotel doors). We were near the stairs, so it would have been no big deal for us know what to do, but I was surprised it was missing.

My husband and I were pretty put off until the next day, when, after a beer at the Rogue Pub in Astoria (a great place for lunch, by the way), we realized that it was the type of thing you would find in an episode of Portlandia. The reframe helped us find the humor in the situation. I mean, the lobby chairs are covered in a fabric that looks like duct tape and the art in the room was purposely framed with masking tape.

We had a 4th floor “deluxe” room and it seemed stark and cold - matching the weather outside, so we didn't get the escape of a nice cozy room.

I had read the rave reviews but not the bad ones, nor did I take the time to look at the pictures - if I had I'm not sure we would have stayed there. A lesson for next time.

I have seen some beautiful "green" facilities but these guys are just not pulling it off. If you are looking for a nice comfy stay at the beach, especially in the winter when you may be spending more time in your room, you may want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: They offer a variety of room types and one building does not have an elevator, so work closely with...
7 Thank Maureen_in_Oly