“We love it and will be back again”
Review of Chautauqua Lodge

Chautauqua Lodge
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We have stayed at the Chautaugua Lodge a number of times and have had great service, friendly staff and clean rooms.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I was very skeptical after reading the horrible reviews. When we arrived the check in went fine. When we walked into our room on the third floor i was more than happy to see that we had a suite reserved for us instead of a single room with two beds like i was expecting. there was a full size refrigerator, a dishwasher, separate room with the extra bed and it's own bathroom. The floor, beds and bathroom were clean although they seemed to be a little short on hand towels but it wasn't difficult to go to the lobby and request some extras. The room was not stuffy or dirty and when checking in there is a sign warning guests that there are thistles on the lawn out front so beware. Only thing that was kind of a bummer was that the pool was kind of green and the hot tub water was gray although there were a ton of people still swimming when we checked it out.
I'd have to say that overall i was very pleased with my experience here and I would definitely return. I feel we got a good value for the price we paid. I'm not sure why there are so many terrible reviews..........

1  Thank mel19rocks
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The hotel has no windows, rooms are stuffy and had to leave the doors open to ventilate. The lawn was full of thistle like plants that stuck in your shoes and feet (very painful). The blonde at the front desk tried to charge me twice and got rude when I tried to tell her I had already paid - no customer service whatsoever....I paid $109.00 a night plus tax which was $109.00 too much for this dump. I will never stay at this place again and recommend that you don't either.

1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I had to rate this as terrible because although there were inconveniences (Kids "therapy pool" out of order, dark stairway with construction debris, although they have and indoor pool you have to go outside to get to it, my Internet didn't work and I was told that they would "look into it" with no results). Yes the place it old, fireplaces don't work (was warned in advance on my reservation) and even with my inconveniences I wasn't that upset at first. It does have a good location and the staff that checked me in were polite and nice.
Unfortunately check out sucked. The girl was not friendly, at first didn't give me a copy of my bill, chewing gum and didn't seem to have any interest in who I was or what I wanted. Even still at that point I was disappointed but wouldn't have rated it terrible. It was after I arrived home and realized I had left my laptop computer cord in my room. I quickly called and spoke to staff at the lodge. The man that answered the phone was at least polite and reported that my cord had not been turned in but that he himself would go look and call me back. The weird thing was that he said he got my comment card (I had left on the table in my room next to my power cord) and that the next time I stay they would give me a discount. I provided my cell number at I work 10-12 hour shifts.... No call back. I called again. This time staff was not as friendly, reported they didn't know anything about my cord and took down my name and number again and promised that someone would call me back....no call back.... I called yet again, this time after several rings a man answered out of breath, didn't say who he was or even the Lodge's name and then asked me to hold. Put me on hold before I could say yes or no. Answered again several minutes later. Wasn't interested in listening to my concern and but at least again took my name and number and promised my someone would call be "right back". Apparently my interpretation of "right back" is not their's. Because guess what .... no call back .I then emailed the next day and got a rude reply stating yes my power cord was right there in the lost and found and that they would ship it back to me but I would have to pay a $10 fee and pay for shipping which they wanted to ship COD. At this point I was disgusted that they would offer me a discount to stay there but wanted me to pay a fee and shipping. I emailed again and reminded them as I had told each one of the staff that I had talked to earlier in the week and even included in my email.... I work 10-12 hr shifts. Which means that I would not be home to meet the mail man and pay for my stupid cord. I offered to pay for my own shipping (which I felt was fair since I left it behind) if they would send it priority so that it could be left at my door. I also asked who the owner/manager of the lodge was so I could pass on how unhappy I was.... can you take a guess what happened???.... no reply, no call, no cord!!!
Don't stay there if you are expecting good customer service!

- update. After 2months!!! they sent my cord COD (completely disregarded my request). They never called or wrote me to let me know they had sent it. So not only did I have to go to the Post Office on my day off, I ended up paying $20.95 to have my power cord back. After all said and done I should have paid the $20 and stayed at a nice hotel with good staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ambyr c
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This place was HORRIBLE. When we arrived the front desk older lady was smacking gum and she looked like she had a mouth full of rotten teeth. There was a larger lady behind the counter with her that was wearing the most dirtiest clothes and a ball cap. She too missing teeth. The large lady actually excused herself by tell the front desk lady bye baby, come to my room when your done so we can finish.?? WHAT??? We didnt ask. Anyway, we get our room key to the first floor room and wow. substandard it was. The room smelled of cigarette smoke and the tv was not working. I called the front desk to get resolved. They said they were sending their maintenance supervisor to remedy the problem personally. Well, she bangs on the door, walks in and said she didnt quite know how to hook up the dvd player. AND she was in her pajamas at 7:30pm and smelled of alcohol and cigarettes. I asked if she was going to fix it. She said she would return shortly. Never returned. I was walking downstairs to the front desk and low and behold. I she the lady at the desk and this maintenance supervisor actually, what looked like sneaking a kiss between the two walkways as the both strolled down to a room. DISCUSTING.. We will never stay where the staff cannot maintain their romance during their working hours. BTW, we never got the dvd working and we checked out the very next morning. The swimming pool looked like a hazy green dye was added and the hottub was partially working. Much better motels and resorts in long beach than to go here again.