“Wonderful experience, can't wait to go back!”
Review of Inn at Langley

Inn at Langley
Ranked #2 of 16 Langley B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful experience, can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Waiting many years to come here, so glad we finally went! Everything was great. The view from our room was great, the view from the oversized tub was even better! The fireplace is such a treat. We brought a tea kettle to make tea, but found the room comes with one, what a nice surprise for tea drinkers! The fridge was handy for keeping some wine we brought cool. The dinner was amazing and we loved it. We bought the wine pairing to go with, but be careful because you will get a lot of wine! (at least for us) Glad we only had to walk to our room because we wouldn't have been able to drive. The breakfast is great!! Quiche, homemade scones, muffins, granola, smoked salmon, triple brie, crackers, toast, fruit. We skipped lunch after eating so much at breakfast. Best part is the trays and thermos they give you if you want to take it back to your room to eat. Langley is a cute little town to explore, but we spent most of our time at the Inn just relaxing. They have DVDs available in the office for use in your room, but we neer turned on the tv, the peace and quiet was just what we needed. When I made the reservation, they asked if there was a special occasion and I mentioned our anniversary. Everyone wished us a happy anniversary and they left a card and bottle of wine in our room. Very caring service. I really cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms had a great view and are quiet, rooms 40+.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Washington
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We just returned from another fantastic trip at the Inn at Langley and it did not disappoint. This was our second trip here and it was again great. Everyone we ran into who works there is extremely helpful and friendly. The room was perfect with a big jetted tub and a fireplace and you cannot beat the view right off your balcony of boats going by. The location can't be beat since you are right in the cute town of Langley and a short stroll to all of the shops and restaurants.
We had the wine paired dinner at their restaurant and the food was exquisite. You get plenty to eat and drink and the presentation was great. The chef even visits your table during the meal to ask how it was. In the morning they also provide a great continental breakfast spread of homemade granola, an egg dish, fruit and yogurt. My husband and I will definitely be returning in the future when we need a night away.

• Stayed February 2012
Bellevue, Washington, United States
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Overall, I would rate our experience at the Inn at Langley on par with what you would expect from an average hotel, or even motel - but for a premium price. We shared our concerns (similar to what I've shared below) with the Inn staff and I do believe they were genuinely upset that we had such a sub-par experience. Unfortunately there wasn't much done at the time of our stay to correct the situation 'in the moment' but I am very appreciative of their efforts and follow-up after the fact, which is why in sum I am rating the Inn as "Average" rather than what it would have been otherwise, which would have been "Poor". I do hope that the feedback we shared will go toward improved experience for future guests, and it is my strong belief that Matt (GM) and his staff take it all very seriously. So definitely speak up if you choose to stay at the Inn - if there is anything they can do to improve your experience, I am quite sure they will.

I read a number of reviews before deciding on Langley for a weekend getaway for my birthday with my husband. We have a young infant and 2 toddlers at home, and we were looking for a relaxing place to get some much-needed sleep and to enjoy a little bit of luxury. I spoke with Karly at the Inn at Langley and she was terrific. She spent a good deal of time talking to me about the town and the inn and I was convinced this is where we should go. I had read unfavorable reviews about the rooms and so requested a renovated room. My preference was to be on the top floor, but there were none availabe. As a nice gesture, we were upgraded to a corner room, but it was on the lower level.

Unfortunately, that is where the positive experience ended for us.

The lower level felt very much like a 'basement' and was pretty dark and gloomy. The corner room was right against a hillside and got very little light. We were in a renovated room, and it was certainly fine, but definitely didn't have the type of finishes that I would rave about. The shower had been updated with a nice stone, but I was surprised for such a big space to only have one shower head. And although I knew there were only queen-sized beds avaible, it still strikes me as odd not to have Kings, especially when the room was plenty big for it. We were also surprised that there was no comfortable 'lounge space' in the room. Only a couple of upright chairs. At least in the room we were in (10) there was plenty of space for a sitting area - kind of odd to have a big corner suite but nowhere to actually hang out? The placement of the TV was a little awkward tucked in the corner - not sure why it wasn't above the fireplace where it would be a much better viewing experience. And we were a little bummed not to have in-room movie selection (there are videos available at the front desk, but the selection is not very good).

The biggest disappointment by far, however, was how little sound-proofing there was between the floors. We could hear every move made by the guests above us - nothing 'inappropriate' - just regular living, but it was akin to a cheap apartment building, not a premium-priced inn. So the much-needed sleep was not possible unfortunately.

The breakfast was nice, but I would call it 'continental' - definitely not a full breakfast. It was mostly baked goods (which were very tasty, including my favorite, homemade granola). No protein options or 'hot food' besides a fritatta, which I couldn't eat due to an allergy. We were expecting a full breakfast, so that was a bit of a disappointment.

Altough the spa wasn't a large appeal for our stay, it was not opened (despite being told that it was being painted and should be opened by the time of our visit). We did head down to the spa area and it was opened so we took a peak around - pretty small, didn't seem to have anything along the lines of soaking tubs or steam rooms. I'm sure it will look better when it's complete, but it, too, was kind of gloomy.

There were nice in-room touches including snacks and drinks as well as complimentary passes to the in-town movie theatre (it only plays one movie, which we had seen, but would have been fun otherwise).

The location is great - right on the water and right in town. We absolutely loved the town of Langley and will definitely go back. Because we were so disappointed with our experience at the Inn at Langley, we checked out other places in town and there are several options with similar or superior amenities (that match more of what we were expecting). Our favorite was the Saratoga Inn. It is across the street from the water, but we checked it out and really liked the rooms and the location. That is likely where we'll stay next time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Molly S
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My wife and I love the Inn at Langley. The staff are very personable and attentive. Matt's food is remarkable.

• Stayed February 2012
Washington State
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We got a free night here but the gift cert was for $300. I was shocked at the room we got for $300. I have heard this place is beautiful but was very disappointed. The room was a dull tan color, rather depressing, and very badly in need of updating. The carpet was gross. You can't charge $300 for a room with gross grout, heaters that don't work, unpleasant smell, and small queen bed. The bathroom was badly in need of a fresh paint job and the sink and fixtures had bad wear on them. The rooms are not sound proofed and the noise from people above you taking a shower is like something out of a tenement building. Seriously LOUD and tacky for such a touted accommodation. My friend and I just looked at each other in disbelief. Yes, the view was spectacular but when we went to sit outside, we found disgusting moldy plastic seat covers on the chairs and mold all over everything. Gross! Hadn't been cleaned in months. The breakfast dining room was cramped and there were not enough seats. the line set up for the breakfast line was badly organized. there is not enough room for people to move around and everyone is tripping over each other. Coffee ran out so I never got any because it was such a hassle to get back in line and get back to my table without wanting to punch someone! Breakfast was sparse , little egg and mostly scones, etc. Again, for $300 one would expect a lot more of a breakfast. Everything at this Inn is claustrophic, from the cramped parking to the small dining room and the tiny spa area. I really have had more enjoyable stays in a Hilton Garden Inn or Best Western. Not impressed for such a highly touted "resort" And Chef Matt, stop serving fois gras which everyone knows is a heinously cruel "delicacy." Even Wolfgang Puck stopped this horrible dish from being served in his restaurants as well as other great chefs.
Sorry, but was disappointed with the condition of this Inn and would have complained about it if I was paying for it. Please invest in some updating or lower your rates.

Room Tip: don't get one of the guestrooms, spring for a suite.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank SinnyC
InnkeeperLangley, Manager at Inn at Langley, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Sounds like we were not what was expected at all? Some folks expect 'resort' when we are really more of a retreat. Remodels are in progress, that may resolve some of the issues this guest felt. Although, it would seem we are just not what they expected. We really do feel value in what we provide and are quite sorry you could not let us know in person so we could help you feel better.

I only serve a free fed foie gras. I maybe taking liberties with the name foie gras, but it is a fat liver. Not a forced distention of a living, breathing and feeling creature.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley
13.0 km away
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland
28.5 km away
Blue Goose Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Inn at Langley? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK