“Our experience wasn't very good; yours could be - share any concerns with the staff!”
Review of Inn at Langley

Inn at Langley
Ranked #2 of 16 Langley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Overall, I would rate our experience at the Inn at Langley on par with what you would expect from an average hotel, or even motel - but for a premium price. We shared our concerns (similar to what I've shared below) with the Inn staff and I do believe they were genuinely upset that we had such a sub-par experience. Unfortunately there wasn't much done at the time of our stay to correct the situation 'in the moment' but I am very appreciative of their efforts and follow-up after the fact, which is why in sum I am rating the Inn as "Average" rather than what it would have been otherwise, which would have been "Poor". I do hope that the feedback we shared will go toward improved experience for future guests, and it is my strong belief that Matt (GM) and his staff take it all very seriously. So definitely speak up if you choose to stay at the Inn - if there is anything they can do to improve your experience, I am quite sure they will.

I read a number of reviews before deciding on Langley for a weekend getaway for my birthday with my husband. We have a young infant and 2 toddlers at home, and we were looking for a relaxing place to get some much-needed sleep and to enjoy a little bit of luxury. I spoke with Karly at the Inn at Langley and she was terrific. She spent a good deal of time talking to me about the town and the inn and I was convinced this is where we should go. I had read unfavorable reviews about the rooms and so requested a renovated room. My preference was to be on the top floor, but there were none availabe. As a nice gesture, we were upgraded to a corner room, but it was on the lower level.

Unfortunately, that is where the positive experience ended for us.

The lower level felt very much like a 'basement' and was pretty dark and gloomy. The corner room was right against a hillside and got very little light. We were in a renovated room, and it was certainly fine, but definitely didn't have the type of finishes that I would rave about. The shower had been updated with a nice stone, but I was surprised for such a big space to only have one shower head. And although I knew there were only queen-sized beds avaible, it still strikes me as odd not to have Kings, especially when the room was plenty big for it. We were also surprised that there was no comfortable 'lounge space' in the room. Only a couple of upright chairs. At least in the room we were in (10) there was plenty of space for a sitting area - kind of odd to have a big corner suite but nowhere to actually hang out? The placement of the TV was a little awkward tucked in the corner - not sure why it wasn't above the fireplace where it would be a much better viewing experience. And we were a little bummed not to have in-room movie selection (there are videos available at the front desk, but the selection is not very good).

The biggest disappointment by far, however, was how little sound-proofing there was between the floors. We could hear every move made by the guests above us - nothing 'inappropriate' - just regular living, but it was akin to a cheap apartment building, not a premium-priced inn. So the much-needed sleep was not possible unfortunately.

The breakfast was nice, but I would call it 'continental' - definitely not a full breakfast. It was mostly baked goods (which were very tasty, including my favorite, homemade granola). No protein options or 'hot food' besides a fritatta, which I couldn't eat due to an allergy. We were expecting a full breakfast, so that was a bit of a disappointment.

Altough the spa wasn't a large appeal for our stay, it was not opened (despite being told that it was being painted and should be opened by the time of our visit). We did head down to the spa area and it was opened so we took a peak around - pretty small, didn't seem to have anything along the lines of soaking tubs or steam rooms. I'm sure it will look better when it's complete, but it, too, was kind of gloomy.

There were nice in-room touches including snacks and drinks as well as complimentary passes to the in-town movie theatre (it only plays one movie, which we had seen, but would have been fun otherwise).

The location is great - right on the water and right in town. We absolutely loved the town of Langley and will definitely go back. Because we were so disappointed with our experience at the Inn at Langley, we checked out other places in town and there are several options with similar or superior amenities (that match more of what we were expecting). Our favorite was the Saratoga Inn. It is across the street from the water, but we checked it out and really liked the rooms and the location. That is likely where we'll stay next time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Molly S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

My wife and I love the Inn at Langley. The staff are very personable and attentive. Matt's food is remarkable.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We got a free night here but the gift cert was for $300. I was shocked at the room we got for $300. I have heard this place is beautiful but was very disappointed. The room was a dull tan color, rather depressing, and very badly in need of updating. The carpet was gross. You can't charge $300 for a room with gross grout, heaters that don't work, unpleasant smell, and small queen bed. The bathroom was badly in need of a fresh paint job and the sink and fixtures had bad wear on them. The rooms are not sound proofed and the noise from people above you taking a shower is like something out of a tenement building. Seriously LOUD and tacky for such a touted accommodation. My friend and I just looked at each other in disbelief. Yes, the view was spectacular but when we went to sit outside, we found disgusting moldy plastic seat covers on the chairs and mold all over everything. Gross! Hadn't been cleaned in months. The breakfast dining room was cramped and there were not enough seats. the line set up for the breakfast line was badly organized. there is not enough room for people to move around and everyone is tripping over each other. Coffee ran out so I never got any because it was such a hassle to get back in line and get back to my table without wanting to punch someone! Breakfast was sparse , little egg and mostly scones, etc. Again, for $300 one would expect a lot more of a breakfast. Everything at this Inn is claustrophic, from the cramped parking to the small dining room and the tiny spa area. I really have had more enjoyable stays in a Hilton Garden Inn or Best Western. Not impressed for such a highly touted "resort" And Chef Matt, stop serving fois gras which everyone knows is a heinously cruel "delicacy." Even Wolfgang Puck stopped this horrible dish from being served in his restaurants as well as other great chefs.
Sorry, but was disappointed with the condition of this Inn and would have complained about it if I was paying for it. Please invest in some updating or lower your rates.

Room Tip: don't get one of the guestrooms, spring for a suite.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank SinnyC
InnkeeperLangley, Manager at Inn at Langley, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Sounds like we were not what was expected at all? Some folks expect 'resort' when we are really more of a retreat. Remodels are in progress, that may resolve some of the issues this guest felt. Although, it would seem we are just not what they expected. We really do feel value in what we provide and are quite sorry you could not let us know in person so we could help you feel better.

I only serve a free fed foie gras. I maybe taking liberties with the name foie gras, but it is a fat liver. Not a forced distention of a living, breathing and feeling creature.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is a gem, and the perfect place for a romantic getaway. The setting is spectacular with excellent view of the water. The town itself is really fun, with several excellent restaurants and a great art gallery, as well as a garden shop with a chocolate theme!

The rooms are really nice - almost zen-like. The staff is incredibly helpful.

As for the restaurant, I think it is outstanding. It was expensive, and it's prix-fixe but if that's an issue there are several good restaurants in easy walking distance.

A bonus was that the weekend we spent there was the weekend the town lit their Christmas lights. There was caroling. It was a really nice getaway.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stay here every Christmas and in the spring as well as some summer weekends. Over the years the Inn has aged like everything does and the wear is showing in carpets and plumbing especially. But we are not that bothered by the small downside given the perfection of the view, location in a sweet little town with great restaurants such as Primi Bistro and the Braeburn and a water view wine shop. The Star store and wine shop is amazing! The receptionist was so sweet and we have always felt valued as guests. They have kept prices very reasonable so you can't expect everything brand new or you would be paying at least double! We travel enough to know that. Also we now have a small dog and they are so kind by providing the levels by the water for pets and give them a big bed and dishes. Very amazing staff as I said. We can't wait for another visit.

• Stayed: December 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley
31.1 km away
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland
0.6 km away
Country Cottage of Langley

Been to Inn at Langley? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK