“Amazing Breakfast, Cold Garage”

Carr's Restaurant & Catering
Ranked #5 of 185 Restaurants in Lakewood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This fairly new restaurant shows up on a number of other sites,
Reviewed 18 November 2017

The restaurant is dated (circa mid-90s perhaps) and the auto paraphernalia may interest some. But judging by the size of the plates — and the size of many of the customers — the food is what this "dive" is about. The restaurant is generally clean, the service is fair to average, but the food is consistently good, and oversized.

They make some of the best—no, make that THE best—hash browns in town. Get 'em crispy. They serve 'em kind of folded over—a double portion—which is what brings us back for more. The omelettes are not what you'd call gourmet, but are stuffed with a generous amount of cheese and fillings. My favorite breakfast is the chicken-fried steak. Get the trucker size if you dare! Best value in town.

Oh, they serve what looks like a homemade strawberry "freezer jam" for toast, which is very good. The English muffin comes perfectly toasted, with generous amount of butter melting inside. Pancakes are also fluffy and impressive. I plan to try the pumpkin next time. Oh yes—if you're not inclined to get greased up in hash browns and gravy, the fruit bowl is also one of the nicest we've had anywhere.

But I hope that Carrs will "overhaul" this place one day. Styled after a garage, it's a bit dim inside, and the floor is cold cement. All tables, no booths—so there is no coziness about it. Not even any music played during our meal. But the coffee is a nice bold roast, and gives you something to wrap your hands around to take the chill off.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

My sisters and I ate at Carrs today JB the cook was excellent. I had the ruban my sisters had the patty melt and fish - all came out tasting the best we've had. You have got to go to Carrs and try their food!!

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Been for both breakfast and lunch and both the food and service was great! The pancakes are huge!! But very flavorful even with their size! The coconut prawns are amazing! We've debated running to Carr's for them as a snack! The atmosphere is kid friendly as well! We will be back!!

Reviewed 1 August 2017

The food was hot, delicious, and definitely plentiful. The service was awesome too. When we arrived there was no waiting. We were seated and serviced right away. By the time we were ready to leave the waiting area was almost filled but there were several tables available. It was hard to explain why the people were not seated since there was plenty of wait staff. Had I been in the waiting area, I would have been annoyed. Still, my wife and I were totally satisfied with our food and service.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

The food (hamburger $10 & BLT $11) were served hot and fresh. Generous sides came with each - choice of fries, sweet potato chips, salad, etc.). We did seem to wait and inordinately long time to be seated and then to receive our orders. The restaurant was only about half full. The waitresses seemed to be busy clearing a table and did not want us to sit at a couple of tables that were empty and clear. When we were seated, the table was excessively wet from the cleaning. Also noticed that there were large amounts of spilled/dropped food on the floor around several of the tables that no one bothered to attend to. And, as an FYI, there is not handicapped/disabled parking place in their large parking lot.