“Cool Place for Happy Hour”
Review of El 42 Cantina

El 42 Cantina
Ranked #26 of 179 Restaurants in Issaquah
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 18
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Reviewed 1 June 2017

Went to El 42 Cantina for happy hour, which we hadn't done in quite a while. It was a hot, sunny day so we opted to stay inside where it was cooler and the hip background music was playing. Sometimes we like to sit in the backroom with the murals but it was too hot in there to enjoy the ambiance.

We started with the chips and two salsas which are good, but the chips were a little greasy; they are also thicker than most chips I've had. Hubby had the carne asada from the regular menu which he liked and I had the happy hour mahi mahi tacos (2), which were very good. I opted to have them without the add-on rice and beans (a bargain at $1.50) but I wasn't that hungry. Drinks were good too -- margarita perfectly prepared and a happy hour glass of chardonnay for $6.00. For some reason, they don't have the happy hour menus on their website, so I have attached a photo.

Our server was new and so missed a few steps like not bringing us napkins with our chips so I ended up using the cocktail napkin to wipe my fingers. We like this place and all of the Jak's restaurants so we'll be back.

1  Thank Mary H

Reviewed 11 April 2017

This is a cantina, so no one under 21 can dine here. That said, it is awesome if you want margaritas and great food. They have a great tequila selection and the food is really good. In particular the tacos and the carne asada are top-notch. The servers are friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 31 March 2017

Don't order the Nachos and think you're going to eat them all yourself. I added black beans and pork and it was enough for a meal for 2-3. Lucky hubby was there to help as there are no doggy bags for happy hour. Since the regular prices are only a couple dollars more it might be better to just go for dinner!

Reviewed 14 February 2017

always fun and hopping! love the guacamole!! Busy and localy festive! Great food just like companion Jak"s Grill

Reviewed 15 December 2016

So I used to love this place but last Saturday I took my girlfriend here and we were seated.... and that was it. we waited, they were not busy. and we waited and waited. no water, no menu, no drinks... we watched for a long time as our black hair female waitress talked and giggled to another young female employee by the bar. We couldnt believe both of them were ignoring their guests for so long. So we began to walk out and watched as they didn't even notice. Even as we walked outside we looked into the window and the two were still talking...didn't even notice we had walked out. We walked across the street to a real Mexican restaurant and got great smiles, service, drinks and food. Sorry, but I won't be going back to El 42... they lost my business and I'm a big tipper.

Been to El 42 Cantina? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK