“View is still fabulous, but food quantity and quality have slipped”

Anthony's HomePort Gig Harbor
Reserve with OpenTable
Anthony's HomePort Gig Harbor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 124 Restaurants in Gig Harbor
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: View, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2018

I last reviewed Anthony's Homeport in Gig Harbor in October, 2012 and gave it an enthusiastic five stars, but now it has slipped down to four stars. Why? Well, the view is the greatest of any eatery in the entire area, right at the foot of beautiful little Gig Harbor bay, with the ones of Millionaire's Row on your lefts you look out the window, and the little businesses and more ordinary, smaller, older homes on your right. It is a scenic postcard view, with the boats in a marina right in front of you, and with visitors coming to the restaurant by boat, tying up also right in front. On a scale of 1 to ten for marine vistas, this is easily a 13 or 14. Its that good.

And the service is still very good and professional from mostly younger wait staff. But the problem is that the quantity of the food has gone south, while the prices have gone north -- in some cases, way north. The food is still pretty good, but the last two or thee times we have been there, we have left a little disappointed. The cioppino, a signature seafood/fish stew, no longer had the big pieces of salmon chunks or the big shrimp, replaced by cheaper cuts of fish. And for the price they charge for this wonderful fish stew, I would expect more fish and more shrimp, and fewer of the less expensive seafood items. This dish has been a favorite of mine for many years, and I have ordered it in many cities and countries, and sad to say, their version was a little lacking. Then on our last visit in late May, on our 51st wedding anniversary, we both had the bowl of steamed mussels, a cup of their fabulous clam chowder, and their version of a Cobb Salad, done with cocktail shrimp, mango and avocado, instead of the usual Cobb Salad ingredients. Sad to say, the portions of the tiny shrimp was, well, tiny, as was the equally tiny amounts of mango and avocado. Lots of mixed greens of course, but you don't order a Cobb Salad to eat a plate full of mixed greens. And it was already tossed with a oil and vinegar style dressing, something neither of us realized. This salad requites a more creamy dressing, not a vinaigrette style.

On the other hand, the mussels were delicious and some of them were very large and plump, the creamy clam chowder was as good as it has always been, and the star of the meal was their thick chunks of warm, chewy sourdough bread. It is very easy to go overboard on the bread, and actually, next time we go there, it may be to totally skip all of the increasingly pricey entrees, and just do the mussels, a bowl of clam chowder and that delicious bread! Speaking of the entrees, they don't seem to have changed much, if at all, since our last review in 2012. The fresh sheet changes on a regular basis of course, and it does offer a nice variety of fresh seafood and fish.

Bottom line is that if this is a special occasion, birthday, anniversary, etc., which calls for a bit of a splurge, then go there and reveal in the great views, while inhaling the warm fragrance of that fantastic sourdough bread. But if you are just looking to have a nice dinner out, there are a lot of other places that can fill the bill, without emptying your wallet.

AnthonysRestsNW, Guest Relations Manager at Anthony's HomePort Gig Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

Hi there,
First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on you experiences. I really appreciate the thought you have put into this and it really brings up some good topics to speak about. I'm so sorry that it seems the prices go up while the food quantity and quality have slipped. We hold ourselves to very high expectations and work each and every day toward improvement but it seems we have fallen short on your last few visits and I feel horrible about that. I would love to put you in contact with the general manager so that you are able to touch base about these topics. Again, I am so sorry about your dissatisfaction in your last few visits. Thank you so much for taking the time to share. I look forward to hearing from you soon and taking steps to make this situation better.
-Molli, feedback@anthonys.com

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

The food is good,not great, but good. It is a little pricey but you are in WA everything is pricey. The 2 best parts of Anthonys’s it has an awesome view of the harbor. Secondly, I take friends and family with children under 21 here as they cannot get into the other seafood waterfront dining in Gig Harbor. The Tides is funkier but you can’t get youngsters in. The food is the same fare as all the Anthony's Around Puget Sound so no surprises. All in all it is a good choic for dinner out with the family.

Hi William,
Thank you so much for you feedback! I'm so sorry that you are not completely happy with your visit. We hold ourselves to very high standards and our team of chefs work very hard to create excellent and satisfying dishes. I'm glad you are please with the family-style but I really want to put you in contact with the general manager about the food. Please, send me an email with your contact phone number so that I can have the general manager touch base with you regarding your visit. Thank you so much for your feedback and again I'm so sorry you aren't completely satisfied!
-Molli, feedback@anthonys.com

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Just dined at Anthony,s for the first time, on the outdoor deck. Beautiful, relaxing view. I had the Shrimp & Grits and my friend had the Sturgeon. We’re both retired ‘road warriors’ who’ve traveled & eaten out more places than I can name, and this was some of The Best food we have ever tasted anywhere! Great service too, Not cheap, but worth every Penney. Can’t wait to go back!

AnthonysRestsNW, Guest Relations Manager at Anthony's HomePort Gig Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Hi Benita! Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

Anthony’s at Gig Harbor was a great place to go for seafood. The chowder was amazing as were the crab cakes. The restaurant is in a small harbor and very picturesque. The kitchen was very accommodating. The wait staff friendly and helpful. I would visit again.

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 May 2018

Well, I've been here a few times now but mostly as a treat. Not being a fish-eater kind of narrows down your options in this restaurant but I will say they cater very well in the steak department. Well seasoned and always cooked as requested. An excellent meal for when you fancy a treat.
Upstairs is their formal restaurant and it's very nice with great views and intimate seating arrangements. The service tends to be very attentive but like everywhere, some days you get a good one, others days you get an average one. LOL
Anyway, downstairs is less formal, you can eat down their with either a bar menu or the menu from the main restaurant.
If you fancy a decent burger in nice surroundings then you absolutely need to get yourself downstairs for the $7.50 bar burger. Yes you did read that correctly, SEVEN DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS. Each extra is a dollar but who cares at this price. Better still, it's delicious, homemade and expertly cooked! I actually disgraced myself and ordered another one, I thought it was so good. Paid for it later but that's another story....