“Very Nice! The Best Place to Stay in the Area”
Review of The Weinhard Hotel

The Weinhard Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed 27 June 2008

I stayed two nights for business reasons, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel. When in small towns like this, there usually aren't any choices that are this nice. It is an old well-maintained building; two floors of rooms with about 8 rooms on each floor and a rooftop garden area on the second floor.

My room was on the second floor and was very large. The entire hotel has very high ceilings making it feel even larger! The windows were huge with stained glass arches at the tops. Very beautiful. The room was spotless (and I'm picky about this) and everything worked well.

My only complaints are minor. My room (number 8) faced the Main Street of town and was noisy, but it didn't bother me too much. The two beds were very small and if you are a large person, you need to ask about this because my bed was only 6 feet long and about 4' wide. I bumped my feet on the footer of the bed a few times. It would be nice to have a fridge in the room. I realize they want to keep it true to its time period, but really, there is already a TV there, so please add fridges. Lastly, the continental breakfast was one to pass on. Only small muffins and tea. May as well not advertise it. I at least expected some fruit.

Some other reviewers complained about a lack of personal service. I found the employees to be courteous enough. I don't like having staff bug me though, so I would not appreciate staff "checking" on me or whatever others were complaining about. I just want to check in and out without hassle and help IF I need it, but since everything was great, I didn't need help so I was quite satisfied with staff.

Overall, this was a spotless, beautiful place to stay. I'd love to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 3 June 2008

We drove here to see Palouse Falls. The falls at this time of year was worth the trip. The motel was a quaint sneak back in time, while over-priced for this out-of-the-way place.

However, their advertised "continental breakfast" was underwhelming; small, cold muffins, no butter, sparse tea selection. For $95 and their hype of history, I expected a more decent spread for breakfast. Fruit would have been welcome.

You could stay in nearby Walla Walla for less and still see the same sights, but without th historic hype and price.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank Sheskis
hotelshellie, owner at The Weinhard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2008

Each room at the Weinhard has a basket of fresh fruit and chocolate. This is complimentary and in the room when you arrive.

Reviewed 5 June 2007

We stayed one night in Room 3 on the first floor of the Weinhard at the start of Dayton Days. The building and decorations are very nice, but we were underwhelmed at the reception we received from the woman on duty. She seemed much more interested in warning us that we would be charged $200 if they found we had smoked in our room than asking us questions or offering us assistance. I certainly did not feel welcomed, but our room was very comfortable and interesting. The rest of the town was much more friendly, and we enjoyed the parade and walking tour of historic houses very much!

The hotel featured an ancient pair of musicians for one hour in the evening, along with complimentary sparkling cider, but we walked to the Patit Creek restaurant for a delicious, long French meal instead.

Overall, I was content but not impressed with our stay at the Weinhard. The price of room was not justified by the dour reception and lack of personalized service. I like to hope that our experience was unusual, but I don't know that I would pay another $95 to find out.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DDawnC
Reviewed 23 August 2006

We stayed at the Weinhard Hotel in mid-August 2006. The hotel is on the historic register and quite lovely. The hotel is furnished in period pieces from the turn of the century. We had an upstairs room #9 that can be connected to #8 if you open a mutual door. #9 and #8 (2 twins) were very spacious and tastefully decorated. It was very clean, nice size bathroom (and modern), quality toiletries, etc. Also, quality chocolates on the bed.

There are no alarm clocks or clocks of any kind in either room. #8,9 and 10 face out onto Highway 26 and were quite noisy. It might bother some people. We were tired and it didn't phase us. Also, the hotel has no elevator (and the stairs were steep, but wide). There are some rooms on the first floor though.

The morning breakfast was nice with good coffee, tea and tasty fresh muffins (not Costco!). I believe there is a snack in the evening too. There is a lovely 2nd story deck in the back with lavender and flowers planted all around. You have a view over an old train station and some houses and then the rolling fields of the Palouse in the distance.

Very nice hotel and nice people there.

3  Thank happytrailsagain
Reviewed 23 July 2006

What a wonderful hotel. From the moment we walked in it felt like a step back in time. Our room was gorgeous. We had a view of the roof top terrace right outside our window. We ate our breakfast out there every morning. We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The town of Dayton has some wonderful things to see. The train museum was very neat. The house tour was amazing. The Lewis and Clark camp statues were so real looking. We just had an amazing time.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank watson05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dayton
0.4 km away
38.1 km away
Green Gables Inn
Green Gables Inn
#2 of 12 in Walla Walla

Been to The Weinhard Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK