“Relaxing and delicious dinner”
Review of Pogacha Restaurant

Pogacha Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 628 Restaurants in Bellevue
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 25
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Pogacha Restaurant is located in downtown Bellevue, WA - 98004. We serve lunch and dinner daily. Catering and private parties available.
Reviewed 27 June 2017

We have been several times, sampling the Croatian and Mediterranean dishes. Their bread is superb, but leave room for the main course. They have a good variety of salads, and the pizzas (aka Pogacha) are rich with flavor (by comparison, the Pizza chain variety taste like cardboard)/ They do chef quality vegetarian dishes, which my mate appreciates. Set in a nondescript one story shopping area near downtown, there is plenty of parking.

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

Pogacha burger with a side of soup makes your day !
My wife ordered the pizza. They were both yum!
Definitely a good place to visit!

Reviewed 1 May 2017

My culinary experiences from several tours through Serbia/Croatia/Macedonia explains why there are few, if any, restaurants in the US that feature cuisines from those regions. While there were a few memorable (in a good way) foods tasted, overall the restaurant scene was pretty dismal. So I was intrigued by a restaurant with a Serbo-Croatian reference in its name. ‘Pogacha’ is a bread found all over the Balkans and one of my more pleasant memories of the region. Served with one other regional gem, caymak (a clotted cream with a slightly cheesy edge) it was the tastiest of items on those visits.

The restaurant Pogacha, it turns out, has some Balkan influences, but is more heavily Italian influenced. Given my Balkan experiences, this was reassuring. The menu lists a very appetizing description of the offerings. I was leaning toward their House Cioppino, but the very pleasant server suggested their most popular dish (‘House Favorite’), one that was featured in Bon Appetit magazine. This prestigious endorsement together with the title of the dish suggesting again Balkan influence, “Dobar Chicken” (‘Dobar’ being Croatian for a friendly greeting/wish for a ‘nice day’) led to be opt for this featured dish. It is a grilled chicken breast sitting atop penne pasta in a Port wine and Gorgonzola Cream sauce accompanied by grapes soaked in Port wine and crumbles of Gorgonzola.

Perhaps it was the inflation of expectations that follow from the Bon Appetit endorsement and the popularity of the dish, but my reaction to the dish was disappointment. The Gorgonzola Cream sauce was watery and not at all creamy. This caused the acidity of the wine to dominate and the sweetness of the port to be too prominent for my taste. The grilled chicken was prepared simply but very nicely and the port-soaked grapes with quite tasty. But what this dish needed was a fabulous sauce, and I don’t think that, as served to me, it would have garnered the attention it has.

Despite this disappointment, I am ready to give Pogacha a second try. I don’t believe the dish served to me is representative of the cooking at the restaurant. This conviction results from such things as the pogacha bread served along with the dish being very good. Also the dishes I viewed as they were being delivered to other patrons looks very appetizing with wonderful aromas. Included in this parade of dishes was the Cioppino that I originally considered. I think I would have been much happier with that dish. I left the meal disappointed, yet with a strong desire to make a return visit.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

A friend and I had a lovely lunch at this small restaurant tucked away in a area of offices in downtown Bellevue. The service was good and the parking was free. I had a large plate of pasta with shrimp.

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We had high hopes for this place. The freshly baked bread was great. Unfortunately, it went down hill from there. The salad dressing was very sour, not at all balanced. The entrees were meh. The salt was left out of my Adriatic prawns, which was bland despite the potential flavorful sauce. The julienne veggies were red and green bell peppers and onion. And I couldn't see or taste the sundries tomato. I think they only used canned tomatoes. Gross. I only ate the shrimp, not prawns, and the waiter didn't bother asking why. I guess they don't care if you like the food or not. My husbands chicken Marengo was not any better. The kids shared the mushroom ravioli was good. I expect more when the entrees are $20. You're better off at the Olive Garden. BIG disappointment!!!