“A perennial winner in downtown Bellevue”

Seastar Restaurant & Raw Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Seastar Restaurant & Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 568 Restaurants in Bellevue
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd Avenue
Description: Seastar Restaurant & Raw Bar in downtown Bellevue, WA is brought to you by renowned chef John Howie, providing guests with freshly prepared seafood, as well as steak, poultry, pastas and a raw bar serving sushi and rolls. Enjoy the comfort of the luxurious Seastar dining room or the upbeat Raw Bar for drinks, cocktails or happy hour. Private dining and catering is available.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

In the last few years, the number of restaurants in the Bellevue area has really expanded. One would hope that the increase in quantity/choice would improve the quality but it isn't clear that has happened. So we have to ensure that those ongoing, proven, established restaurants don't get overlooked (and they have to ensure they keep the qualities that made them perennials in the first place). Seastar closed down for a bit in the summer of 2017 for a remodel--I am not impressed with the results. It WAS a place lacking much ambience BUT with superior seafood and a knowledgeable staff. We have been going there for much of its 15 year history (and the shorter-lived Seattle site, which had better ambience but more competition apparently). It is STILL a really good restaurant but I don't think the remodel did anything to improve the atmosphere of the place and I have detected in my last few visits a bit of a down-grade in the staff's attitudes towards customers. The food is still high-quality but I miss the older menu choices. I bought John Howie's cookbook, we attended special wine dinner events in the past and always felt comfortable bringing friends here to eat. It's a good/great place that I would hate to see stumbled.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A business meeting this time and after being closed for remodeling briefly Seastar's refreshed decor was lovely. The food is excellent and the superb staff helps you gauge your dishes from the many menu choices. We tend to be moderate in appetite and were able to order a variety of dishes in portions that suit us. The crab cakes are excellent and the salads fresh and delicious. The raw bar delivers fresh fare and we sampled the Ahi & Salmon Poke as well as the scallop ceviche. Don't miss the grilled salmon and the seared Ahi tuna. We have to dine/lunch here frequently to enjoy all of the great food on the menu.

Mark M, General Manager at Seastar Restaurant & Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank You for dining with us at Seastar Restaurant in Bellevue. It is always nice to here positive comments not only about are food,( by the way the items you described are my favorites on the menu), but also about our staff and the new look of our restaurant. I also really appreciate the fact that you are able to dine, enjoy, and do business at the same time. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Mark

Reviewed 2 November 2017

Visited with locals. Very nice décor. Space between tables that allows an actual conversation. Nice, diverse group of guests. Restaurant was busy and had a nice buzz. Professional and polished service. Food was very good but not extraordinary for the price. Issue was that even with a reservation we were not treated with the appropriate respect and welcome. Given a table that was better suited for a sports bar and to just have drinks. When we asked to move, told us that it is all that we have, etc. etc.. Refused it and eventually they found a better table but still not great. I expected more. Maybe regulars get treated better.

2  Thank Dogwalkinthepark
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

Stopped by for drinks and a bite at the bar. When the bartender noticed I hadn’t enjoyed the chowder and asked if I didn’t enjoy it I said it was a little heavy handed on the flour. His response was to say he’d let the chef know “He’s a big guy”
Clearly so self absorbed they don’t have a clue about customer service.

1  Thank SeaBrent
Reviewed 25 October 2017

I recently had the opportunity to dine again at Seastar Restaurant. They just seem to get better each time I go there. The appetizers were incredible. The experience was almost worth ordering nothing but a selection of appetizers to satisfy the most discriminating palate. The preparations were creative, savory, and distinctive. But the meal to follow was indescribable.

For those visiting the Seattle area's Eastside, Seastar is an experience not to be missed.

1  Thank GDL919