“Kind of works in a pinch”

East Moon Asian Bistro
Ranked #52 of 330 Restaurants in Woodbridge
Cuisines: Asian
Description: WOW! What a treat. My Vietnamese friend as well as my son's Korean friend both recommended this restaurant as they said the food was delicious! The
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

This is by no means considered ultimate cuisine and you have to really know what to order, and not to get even a barely decent meal, but once you get the right thing you should leave marginally satisfied.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

After my SEVERE disappointment at "SUSHI BAE" (used to be called "ARIANG"), this restored my faith in a decent sushi place in Woodbridge.

Was about to head out with my two teenage sons for our regular Chinese buffet, when the oldest said, "Hey DAD! Here's a coupon in the flyer ad for $20 off a $60 dollar tab, all you can eat sushi, at this other place. Wanna check it out?"

SO glad we did!

Not much to look at...situated in a tiny strip mall (next to our dentist's office and across the street from the WaWa). Inside isn;t much, either... a few nods to oriental decor, a little dark but cozy. LOTS of empty space between tables, which made me wonder how long this place has been here, or if it has been difficult to fill. The sushi bar looked nice...I will sit there next time, as the light is a little better. I led the boys over to have a look at the offerings in the glass showcase...a MUST if you want to get a fair impression. They had a very good variety, all looking fresh...if a little on the slim pickin's side, but we WERE arriving late on a Saturday night so that was to be expected. 3 sushi-masters were working full tilt.
Seated right away in the main dining room. Clean... a little spartan, but comfortable. Light music, easy to carry on a quiet conversation. About 1/4 capacity.
They offer two menus, which confused me at first. One was a booklet, offered by our very quiet, obsequious waiter...a full menu of an eclectic mix of Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese dishes. Not enough to peg the place as specializing in any one cuisine. the last few pages were dedicated to liquors and other drinks...a little odd, but...hey, who's complaining?
The second menu was a sheet of paper, with All You Can Eat advertised on both sides. As I said, I was confused...one side had all the standard oriental fare that was on the OTHER menu (everything from won-ton soup to General Tso's to Drunken Noodles to Yaki-Udon, etc...), in all catagories: Appetizers, noodles, poultry etc...
Each item had a checkbox next to it.
I flipped the paper over and saw listings for sushi and sashimi, with the same check boxes...

Which was the "all you can eat?"

The waiter said EVERYTHING on the sheet menu was "all you can eat", whereas the book menu was a la carte.

You can fill a sheet out individually, or "family style" as we did.

This took some planning, so the boys and I decided on a great number of items, writing down quantities for the table as a whole. This way, we would choose what we wanted from a central plate, rather than having a buttload of dishes for each diner. Unlike the standard method of sushi coming in pairs or a serving of a 4-5 pieces of sashimi, each item was for ONE single piece... except for a makisushi roll order (6 pieces). We quit about halfway thru our "wish list", fearing we would order too much. The waiter took our order and we had the "first batch" in front of us in about 10 minutes.

We had a great mound of seaweed salad and another of a delicious, lightly fried crab salad. Excellent miso soup. We had the following sashimi: Salmon, yellowtail, squid, tuna, unagi eel, red clam, and tobiko eggs served in little bowls carved from cucumbers. We had the same served as sushi, with additional shrimp and imitation (always) crab. We had the following rolls: salmon skin, spicy scallop, spicy salmon, asparagus and tempura shrimp, something called "Christmas roll" (avacado, tuna, crab and tobiko eggs) and a couple of others.
Some we ordered on the first round, others we submitted as the previous serving dwindled....
They came rapid fire, with only a few minutes between ordering another round and plates hitting the table. We had a total of 3 people waiting on us, so dishes were served and cleared, waters refilled almost instantly. (Actually, we joked that maybe we weren;t supposed to drink the water, as they were so fastidious about refilling the glass almost after every sip...LOL).
The food was EXCELLENT, in quality and quantity for the price ($22.95 for AYCA). My wife, who doesn;t like going out when us boys want fish, will have to give a report about the other items when we come back....but I asked other tables about their entrees and they all seemed very happy.

This is our new go-to sushi place. Even without the coupon, it would have been a great deal. We got out of there with happy bellies and palates for $50, not including tip. $50 would hardly touch what my sushi dinner would be ALONE at a place like Sakura Japanese steakhouse, much less for me and 2 very hungry teen boys.

It ain't much to look at, it ain't the "fine dining" of exotic sushi places with rare or expensive things, but I'm giving it 5 stars anyway. It exceeded my expectations by a country mile, we were surprised and very happy. We will be back. Often.

Oh, and, hey, a note to you sushi charlatans at "SUSHI BAE"! Not a single dang drop of god-awful "yum-yum" sauce...

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Service runs hot and cold. Sushi pieces are small. Vegetable dumplings are excellent. All you can eat is a great value.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

Met with friends for a quick bit one early evening. We shared plates of egg roll, sushi and sashimi. Very good. Will visit again.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Food is good and we normally share an meal, since the portions are large. The three of us share and appetizer and a meal. Food is hot and quick--salads are particular good