“Stumbled upon a gem!”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 8 August 2017

The hotel is absolutely beautiful with high ceilings, chandeliers, and nice furnishings. The room we had was very large and the bathroom was as well when compared to other hotels. The bed was comfortable, location was close to the walking mall with excellent dining and shopping choices. The entertainment in the hotel bar was very relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would like to return again for a longer trip to the area.

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
GWDOS, Director of Sales at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We're so glad you stumbled upon us! We know that you have many choices in lodging and truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us. It's always nice to hear from guests who admire our beauty; thank you for your kind comments. We would love to have you back for a longer stay and hope you will take advantage of all the wonderful things to do in the area. Check out the website visitwinchesterva.com or feel free to give us a call to help plan your next visit!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We had been treated like crap at the front desk on our previous stay and wrote about it here on Trip Advisor, so upon our arrival this time we got a complimentary room upgrade. Bigger room, nice view of town. Very nice manager at the desk. Smooth and seamless the way it should be! The internet bogged down here n there, but was mostly fine. And George's restaurant downstairs was slow and just ok (we only had late night drink/apps).

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

I'm very sorry that your previous stay was not a good one, and, do appreciate your willingness to give us another chance to show you what a wonderful, service-minded team we truly have. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 5 August 2017

First, when we booked our trip, we were charged way more that we were supposed to be. That was not the hotel's fault, we booked through a 3rd party who took an extra hundred dollars and overdrew our bank. We were told that the hotel couldn't cancel and the bank couldn't. If we cancelled through the third party site they would not refund us, only cancel the reservation, which made no sense. So we decided to go and make he best of it since we were out $400. Well, there was no metered parking available on a Friday night so we used the parking garage. It cost $7 for the night. Now here begin the things that are in my opinion the hotel's fault. The door to our room was extremely hard to open, for one. We had to put down everything we were carrying and try continually to open it. My husband got it on his fifth attempt. And no we are not stupid; it is just that difficult. So finally the door is opened and the room is only about half the size we expected. The pictures online are very misleading. What you see is definitely not what you get. No couch, no space. No bath tub. The shower is very nice but I can't take a relaxing bath because there is no tub. I called down to ask about trading rooms and they told me they were all this small. Well guess what, when I left to go out in the morning, there were maids cleaning other rooms and the doors were open and SEVERAL rooms were bigger. I called down about it again and they still tried to tell me no there are no bigger rooms. So basically the woman just called me stupid because I saw with my own eyes. I saw the other rooms. I told her. She still says I am wrong. And of course no management was available to speak to me. Oh, before I forget, the toilet was so hard to flush that I broke my fingernail. Nobody has offered me any apology. Not for anything that I have called down about. They have only told me that I am wrong. Well, except the girl who I originally called about the room size said " they probably made it look like you were getting a suite too, didn't they..." which at least felt like she was sympathizing. This is the first time in my life I've ever felt that anything was wrong enough to complain about at a hotel. I'm not a complainer. I know it doesn't sound that way because of this rant, but that's important to understand in order to realize how unhappy I am.

I guess I should tell the good things too. The bedding is great. Pillows very comfortable. Room clean except for rug stains. Someone said in review that there was no mini fridge but there is. Air conditioning works well. There is a spa for massages and such. The pool is really unique for the area, being modeled after a Roman bath. Honestly we came because we wanted to try the beautiful pool. I haven't yet because another guest said it was cold, but I am about to. There is a jewelry store in the lobby. There is a live musician in the bar. It has many really cool aspects. But fees for things, no free breakfast, automatic eighteen percent tip for room service. Many hotels offer free continental breakfast, this one is $7 to order continental. If you don't use the room safe you can tell them and receive a refund. But who wants to worry about that? Things that are free or included in price elsewhere are charged here.

Room Tip: Ask many questions because pics misleading
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

We spent the night in Winchester and enjoyed a light breakfast at the George Washington. Oatmeal & the yogurt parfait, they were both good. Service was very good and prices were very reasonable. Very nice morning at a historic site!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. So glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and you time in Winchester. Our staff looks forward to having you back again!

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The room and hotel were both lovely, clean, and well-appointed. We had a delicious room service breakfast that was not outrageously priced. Our only issue was that parking is very unclear. There is a garage right next door which we pulled into, parked & walked in to front desk. We were informed at front desk that parking would be $10 in the self-park garage but only $5 to valet?! That was annoying because we had just gone thru all the trouble of hauling bags and kids thru a garage...valet would have been way easier! When we asked why the garage was more expensive, the clerk suggest we go retrieve our car from the garage and then re-park it using the valet. We almost did that just to save $5 but then the clerk said the garage would charge us anyway if it was >15 min. A quick glance at our garage entry ticket showed 13 min had already elapsed so we opted not to try to sprint over and get out of the garage in time. Very odd, and clearer signage outside hotel would help. We never even saw for sure where the valet drop off was.

A minor issue is that the indoor pool is fairly cold and the interesting "Roman bath"-style architecture (steps, statue, platforms, & columns) is looking pretty worn. I'm sure all that extra concrete is hard to maintain & I wonder if it could all be taken out for a more streamlined look. Not sure if it's functional or just for show.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

I'm sorry the parking situation was unclear and perhaps not explained fully. Parking in our parking lot or by valet is $5 per night; the cities parking garage is $10 per night. However, parking in the city garage is .50 per hour, maxing at $10 per day (overnight). I'm sorry the pool was not warm enough, and do appreciate you making us aware. The pool will actually be going through a complete cleaning and repaint very soon, but, the columns will remain. A bit of history for you...two of those columns are original support beams to our 1924 structure and cannot be removed. During our renovation, it was determined there was no where else to put a pool and our architect added to more columns to create a beautiful Roman Bath and one of the many charming and unique features to our hotel. I hope you will return for another visit.