“"System Error" Really JEFF?? $506.90”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
Ranked #9 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Every summer my family and I take at least six road trips and we stay at different Hotels. I have to say this has been the WORST experience EVER! Upon checking in Jane (at the front desk) was very pleasant...in the beginning that is. She advised me a $50.00 hold would be placed on my debit card. Which was normal procedure however, that $50.00 hold turned out to be a $506.90 debit from my debit card. The day after I checked out, I called the hotel back and spoke with Jane who was defensive, unhelpful, and extremely rude to me. She could not give me a full explanation on why my account was debited $506.90 even though the room was paid in full online. After over talking me she advised me she would call me back to resolve this issue (which she never did). Later on that day I called back and spoke with Jeff who said he was the general manager. He explained to me that it was a “system error” because I used a different card to place the $50.00 hold on, then what I used to book the room. Which makes absolutely know since to me!! Because it shouldn’t matter what card I used to place the $50.00 hold on…the room was already paid for. Long story short I was out $506.90 for 72hours while on vacation with my two young children, and all Jeff the (“General Manager”) did was apologize for me being inconvenienced and called my bank. I was also charged for breakfast which was included in the package I purchased but once again because, Jane didn’t check me in properly that’s another credit I’m waiting for.

Room Tip: Check the holds being placed on your card!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank 87Simone_
GM515, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear 87simone_,

First let me be very transparent and say that we dropped the ball. We truly did. I am sorry for any inconvenience that our error caused you. We did reach out to your bank and release the hold immediately. We truly tried anything and everything we could have done to make this right for you, given the situation and our resources. I am sorry that our efforts could still not amount to a positive stay. We apologize for the negative experience but hope that you may one day reconsider giving us another shot. It would be very rewarding for our team to sway your opinion to a positive one and show you what our real customer service is all about.

Respectfully Yours,

Geoffrey Scheibel

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel was clean and fresh, the staff was extremely helpful with activities in Williamsburg, and the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank since1985together

Dear since1985together,

Thank you so much for providing us with this review. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. We are so glad that you enjoyed your breakfast. We appreciate all guest feedback. It helps make our hotel better. Thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

After checking out a day early from a dirty, dingy nearby hotel, we were homeless and in need of a place to stay. We walked in to this hotel praying for an available room. After sharing our story about the other hotel, the clerk made it her personal mission to make our stay pleasing. For sure, we were very pleased! The suites were wonderful, clean, spacious, and beautifully decorated. The staff was welcoming (oh, I wish I could remember the check-in clerks name ( I wrote it down, but can't find it); maybe her name was Corinthia? Anyway, she was wonderful, she called to have our rooms prepared immediately, allowing us to check in early. We even received a call an hour after check-in to make sure we were satisfied. I loved everything about our stay. The kids loved the pool, my husband and I loved the room and we all had a great nights sleep!

I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KidsMomBaltimore_MD

Dear KidsMomBaltimore_MD,

Thank you so much for telling us about your experience at our hotel. We are sorry that you had the bad experience at the previous hotel. We are so glad that we could accommodate you and your family. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We will pass all your great comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job.

Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We called late at night to check for availability, the lady quickly offered a room for a great deal. After telling her about our bad experience with the hotel we had to leave due to air conditioning problems, she made sure the air was turned on in our room prior to our arrival. The room was much more comfortable then the one we'd left. The ladies at the front desk were so friendly and helpful. The whole hotel was extremely clean and beautiful. Rooms are great, beds are super comfy, and great location. Will definitely be back sometime.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brittany H

Dear Brittany H,

Thank you so much for telling us about your stay with us. We are glad that we could accommodate you when you needed us. We appreciate all of your great comments about our staff. We will pass the on to our staff. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Great location, excellent service (particularly David at the front desk), and terrific amenities. I would absolutely stay here again when visiting Williamsburg. Value can't be beat!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Estruntz

Dear Estruntz,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass them on to David and our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you so much for your time. Thank you for mentioning our great amenities. Thank you again for your review. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.