All reviews front porch horseback riding trout fishing bath county waterwheel restaurant accommodations
Reviewed 5 July 2015

While I understand the owners are moving away for renting out the entire property for large gatherings like our granddaughter's recent wedding, it was really a lovely place for it. The family and the wedding party were all able to stay on the large and beautiful farm property. One large building had space for her three brothers and their families and had a large kitchen. Another large building had space for the wedding party and served a nice breakfast. There are other facilities for as few as two and others that have several bedrooms.

The wedding itself was under huge old oak trees.

Even with GPS we had a bit of trouble finding the place. Some VERY SPECIFIC directions on the website would have been very appreciated. Also, since the fact sheet in our cottage gave the wi-fi password we thought we'd have wi-fi. Nope. Should have made it clear where on the property wi-fi was accessible.

Some of the entries below are hard to do, because it was not a single hotel. The pool was not open while we were there, but it looked nice

Room Tip: Some rooms had wi-fi, others didn't, but could go into common areas of buildings that did have wi-fi.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2015

I came here for a quick retreat in October. Got here, welcomed and shown around the lodge. The Wifi isn't wonderful, but I guess the whole point is to disconnect, right? The place is clean, beautifully furnished, the breakfast is simple, but tasty. You can bring your own microwaveable or fresh fruits/milk/cereal too. I loved the lodge cat, Leroy- super friendly and he inspired me to adopt my own cat! The Hidden Valley trail is a short drive away, as are the Jefferson Pools. The lodge itself is on beautiful property. This is a wonderful peaceful quiet place in October but it would have been nice to invite some friends along and make smores on the farm. A perfect family retreat.

Room Tip: There are ground floor rooms and they looked super cozy. I stayed in the Boolah Suite and it was all the space I needed!
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2015

I have been going to Meadow Lane for years, and my wife and I have come to think of it almost as our private getaway. We have gotten to know the river, the staff, and the different rooms in the Lodge. We've studied the black and white photographs on the walls of the Lodge; they tell the story of the family that has owned the place for almost a century. This was once a thriving country estate, with show horses and lush gardens and prize winning Great Danes.

The 3000 acre property still feels like a private kingdom. Once a bucolic playground for a wealthy family, Meadow Lane is now a haven for those who love the contemplative outdoor pursuits. Hikers, birders, and especially fishermen will feel they have found the place they've been searching for. If there is a better stretch of trout water in the state of Virginia, I would like to know where it is.

Others have noted the peace and serenity of the property; this is a place where you don't have to engage in constant activity. It's just a great place to sit still for a while and listen to river rustling along, or watch the moon rise, or listen to a whippoorwill singing his persistent evening song, or stare down the otter who is just waiting for you to move along so that he can resume his fishing.

The accommodations aren't luxurious but they are spotless, and the beds are just right. Fishermen will be grateful for the mown paths that make it easy to access the river. I can't say too much about the staff, especially Pam, who often prepares the breakfast for the visitors staying in the Lodge; she has lived in Warm Springs all her life and a little conversation will yield dividends of local knowledge.

Meadow Lane isn't a place for people who need nonstop distractions and a lot of pampering. It's a place to reflect and recharge, to unplug, to remember that there is such a thing as real silence, a place just TO BE.

Room Tip: Steinway suite has a dreamy bed and a fireplace
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve G
Reviewed 30 April 2015 via mobile

This past weekend was my fifth spring visit to Meadow Lane. We, a group of fly fishermen from around the world, spend four days at Meadow Lane each April or May, host a charity auction for wounded vets and enjoy each other's company while doing some fly fishing on the Jackson River.

I'll keep it simple: it's a collection of houses and an older inn. The accommodations are what they should be for a backcountry sort of thing. If you're a nouveau riche pretender who wants everything catered to their particular comfort, hire a maid and stay home.

It really is a good place to unwind.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2015

My husband and I just spent two nights at the Lodge. Unfortunately we picked a freezing cold weekend to go, but the peaceful country setting was just what we needed. We live in the city and wanted a quiet country setting. Meadow Lane Lodge was perfect. We stayed in the Loft, which is a cozy room, with a separate entrance, breakfast was provided, Pam took good care of us with that. The lodge has a kitchen for guest use, microwave, fridge, bottle opener, glasses, etc, but no stove. Decent restaurants are available in nearby Hot Springs. If you prefer to cook for yourself, recommend one of the fully equipped cottages. One note, if you plan to fish the Jackson River that runs through the property, ensure that a spot is available. You pay a separate rod fee and they issue a limited number per day. My husband had decent fishing on Back Creek.

Room Tip: Swiggle Cottage is completely separate, but still includes breakfast.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple