All reviews front porch horseback riding trout fishing bath county waterwheel restaurant accommodations
Reviewed 18 May 2015

I have been going to Meadow Lane for years, and my wife and I have come to think of it almost as our private getaway. We have gotten to know the river, the staff, and the different rooms in the Lodge. We've studied the black and white photographs on the walls of the Lodge; they tell the story of the family that has owned the place for almost a century. This was once a thriving country estate, with show horses and lush gardens and prize winning Great Danes.

The 3000 acre property still feels like a private kingdom. Once a bucolic playground for a wealthy family, Meadow Lane is now a haven for those who love the contemplative outdoor pursuits. Hikers, birders, and especially fishermen will feel they have found the place they've been searching for. If there is a better stretch of trout water in the state of Virginia, I would like to know where it is.

Others have noted the peace and serenity of the property; this is a place where you don't have to engage in constant activity. It's just a great place to sit still for a while and listen to river rustling along, or watch the moon rise, or listen to a whippoorwill singing his persistent evening song, or stare down the otter who is just waiting for you to move along so that he can resume his fishing.

The accommodations aren't luxurious but they are spotless, and the beds are just right. Fishermen will be grateful for the mown paths that make it easy to access the river. I can't say too much about the staff, especially Pam, who often prepares the breakfast for the visitors staying in the Lodge; she has lived in Warm Springs all her life and a little conversation will yield dividends of local knowledge.

Meadow Lane isn't a place for people who need nonstop distractions and a lot of pampering. It's a place to reflect and recharge, to unplug, to remember that there is such a thing as real silence, a place just TO BE.

Room Tip: Steinway suite has a dreamy bed and a fireplace
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve G
Reviewed 30 April 2015 via mobile

This past weekend was my fifth spring visit to Meadow Lane. We, a group of fly fishermen from around the world, spend four days at Meadow Lane each April or May, host a charity auction for wounded vets and enjoy each other's company while doing some fly fishing on the Jackson River.

I'll keep it simple: it's a collection of houses and an older inn. The accommodations are what they should be for a backcountry sort of thing. If you're a nouveau riche pretender who wants everything catered to their particular comfort, hire a maid and stay home.

It really is a good place to unwind.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2015

My husband and I just spent two nights at the Lodge. Unfortunately we picked a freezing cold weekend to go, but the peaceful country setting was just what we needed. We live in the city and wanted a quiet country setting. Meadow Lane Lodge was perfect. We stayed in the Loft, which is a cozy room, with a separate entrance, breakfast was provided, Pam took good care of us with that. The lodge has a kitchen for guest use, microwave, fridge, bottle opener, glasses, etc, but no stove. Decent restaurants are available in nearby Hot Springs. If you prefer to cook for yourself, recommend one of the fully equipped cottages. One note, if you plan to fish the Jackson River that runs through the property, ensure that a spot is available. You pay a separate rod fee and they issue a limited number per day. My husband had decent fishing on Back Creek.

Room Tip: Swiggle Cottage is completely separate, but still includes breakfast.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It is such a peaceful place .A great place to unwind from our stressful life and take in God's creations.We saw 4 deer bathing in the river. We also loved our soak in the historic Jefferson Pools! We also recommend Jason's Pizza and country cafe for great southern dinners and atmosphere. The homemade pies are superb at the cafe!

Room Tip: You can watch the horses and deer from the Car Barn! :)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brendaferg
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked 3 nights for Room Alice fortune.I have two small kids,1 year old and 2 years old.We usually have a king bed room when we are on travel.I knew many hotels and resorts are free for kids under 2 and half.After one night stay in Alice fortune,The manager asked us to change room to swiggles because they don't allow kids under 7 stay in the logde.I dislike swiggles.It has a narrow long entryway up the hill to the house.I am always afraid to pass an entrance like this during summer time.I was bite by a snake on a similar way when I was a kid .At first they said if we disagreed to change to swiggles we need to find another place to stay.We only had 3 days vacation.Who want to waste time on booking and changing a hotel !! I asked them to show me the policy as they told me 7 years old are not allowed in the logde.I only remeber they have no pet policy which they make it clear on their wedsite.The manager said she need to make a phone call.At last they changed us to a samll cottage called jackson cottage which doesn't has a narrow entryway.It locates on flat lands and we can drive in front of the house.But it only has a queen bed and two twin beds.So I feel alice fortune is more fits our needs.We stayed at jackson cottage for two nights.I feel jackson cottage is a clean and morden style cottage.It would be perfect for a family with school age kids.It has two bedroom.Alice fortune is a comfortable suite .It is spacious and I really enjoy the front porch.It is a large land retreat.It is very wild.I feel it is a little too wild for me.They don't have many landscaping.Grasses grow as tall as me But they do cut grasses around the house area.It has a beatiful jackson river in the retreat.
Pros:It is a quite location.relaxing
They rasied my kind of animals in the barns.My kids love to watch them.
Cons: I feel the hardwood floors in the logde are not in good condition.
The bed is not very comfortable.The matress is on soft side.Sheets are OK.

Room Tip: Alice fortune is a spacious king bed room.It has a front porch.The hardwood floors are not in good condition.so the floors gave me some dirty feeling.The shower in this room is awful.The shower head is small and dirty. swiggles is perfect for couples or honey moon.I just hate the entryway. Jackson cottage is perfect for family.But it doesn't has house keeping and breakfast.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family