“Clean room, slow elevators! :)”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Corning, New York
“Clean room, slow elevators! :)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hospitality in this hotel was great, and the room was clean. Guests were loud- very loud! Screaming kids in a freezing pool and 1am - 2:30 am hooting and hollering in the hallways on the 4th floor both nights. The down sides of our stay were not the hotel's fault, besides a dead-slow elevator, so maybe we just hit this one on the wrong nights. The breakfast was perhaps the worst, but it's on par with the other Homewoods, so no surprises here. Hit the seafood place across the street for the best crab cakes anywhere if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2012
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your review of the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. I am glad you were happy with the service and room accommodations. I would love to invite you back to stay with us. I will ensure you have an even better experience! We appreciate your business.

Meredith Brinkley
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
fairfax, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Nice reasonably priced hotel. Good room size, nearly full kitchen. Only complaint is that while most hotels start weekday breakfast at 0600, this one starts at 0630. Because of the nature of my job, I wind up missing breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tranquillotus
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Norfolk Airport! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let me know if you plan on returning to the area. We will happy to pack a breakfast "to go" for you in the morning. We appreciate your business!
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I've been to this Homewood Suites previously on business, but this time took the wife and child on a Friday evening. I miss the M-TH dinner, but wasn't expecting that, but it still would be nice to have especially since we're paying the same price. Since the last time, they finally fixed the pool heater so that was working, though it was temporarily closed since some inconsiderate parent let their toddler in w/o a swim diaper and pooped in the pool. Hours later and after a thorough cleaning, it reopened and was fine.

As always, the rooms are nice and staff was friendly. Location is good and convenient to dining (recommend Surf Rider across the street on Newtown road), Wal-Mart and other shopping as well as an easy on/off of the main roads. The only complaint was a bunch of rowdier kids being loud and obnoxious in the pool area between 6-7pm. Seems nobody watches the pool area and there are no pool rules to discourage acting like an idiot.

Stayed using points...so price was irrelevent here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jfwilder
Hello,
Thank you for the great review of the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Norfolk Airport. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us overall. I am sorry for the pool incident and we really appreciate your understanding. I will make sure our staff checks on the pool more frequently to ensure our guests are abiding by the rules. I completely understand your frustration. I hope you will come see us again if your travel needs bring you back to the area. Have a great summer!

NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a busy night (Friday night of Easter Weekend 2012), so any problems that exist with the property were likely to become apparent. Our experience was mostly smooth, marred only by a couple of housekeeping/maintenance items.

Check-in was quick and courteous. We were greeted in a friendly manner, by name, and our Hilton Hhonors status was properly noted. Basically all the in-processing items on the Hilton checklist were followed without a hitch.

Staff at this property was fantastic. In fact, the people who staff this hotel are probably its greatest asset.

There are several room types and layouts available at this extended-stay property. Note that this review is for a non-smoking 1-bedroom King suite (which is different than the King Studio Suite which is the same price). When we made our reservation we got the last of this type available (one the one hand, lucky for us, but with the drawback that nothing else is available is there is a problem with the room)

As other reviewers noted, wait times for the elevators can be quite long. Annoying, definitely, but I wouldn't advise against staying here solely on that basis. But then I was only there one night. Maybe I would feel differently if I were there for 60 days.

The room was laid out nicely and most things were in good working order. The large flat-screen TVs were nice and I noted the presence of a DVD player. Carpets were vacuumed and clean. Preference for bed firmness is highly variable from guest to guest. I would say that our bed was sort of middle of the road. Some people may find it a tad firm, others a bit soft. But probably acceptable to nearly everyone.

Upon check-in there was a hair from a previous guest on the seat of a particularly important piece of restroom equipment. Hmmmm, definitely not a good sign, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us (especially considering that there were no other "similar" rooms available that night).

The kitchen area was spotless. The dishwasher was immaculate. The dishes in the kitchen were all clean and were well-stocked. There were no funny smells coming from the refrigerator as we have occasionally encountered before.

As it typical for Homewood Suites, the sink and vanity area is outside the bathroom area. That's always a big plus in my book. Our room type had a shower only, so families with small children take note (other room types have a tub - ask the front desk if you're not sure what you're booking). The walk-in shower was very spacious and quite nice. Countertops and shower enclosure all had a medium-dark granite look. Water pressure was fine and hot water temperature was also good. But, oops, there was mildew on the shower enclosure. Not so bad that it looked like it was going to take over, but definitely noticeable. A couple of extra minutes by the cleaning staff with a bottle of Tilex and everything would be fine (of course we didn't notice this until the next morning, but we did mention it upon checkout).

Our room (515) was right next to the elevator. On a busy night I feared that hallway noise might be a problem but we never heard anything from the hall. The layout is such that the bed is pretty far removed from the hallway walls and room door, so that probably helps. Exterior noise, however, was another story.

This property is basically "L"-shaped. One leg of the "L" (the leg with the front desk in it) runs parallel to Cleveland Street and the other leg runs perpendicular extending out to just a a few feet from the off ramp for the freeway. We were right in the "elbow" of the "L", thus we figured that street noise would not be a problem, but the Virginia Beach Expressway (264) turned out to be noisier than we expected. It was definitely noticeable, even up on the 5th floor where were. A fan would probably mask it pretty well, but we always bring "emergency" ear plugs for just such a contingency so we were fine. I suspect that the rooms which face Cleveland Street are much quieter as there are more walls between you and the freeway. If noise is big concern, there's a room tip for you.

As we were there on a Friday night, the evening reception was not available, and we opted for the all-you-can breakfast bar at Shoney's Saturday morning, so I cannot comment on food at this property.

Management was thoughtful enough to include two laundry bags instead of one in the closet and, thankfully, plenty of hangers. Too bad the sliding glass door on the closest (left side) did not slide easily and would occasionally stick. Maybe we got the only room in the hotel with that problem.

The room was tastefully appointed and even included something I don't normally encounter - a wall-mounted hanging plant (fake, I'm sure). But a nice touch.

All told, this is not the best Homewood Suites I've ever stayed at. But it was certainly better than some (particularly the older ones). I can't give it an "Excellent" overall rating due to the housekeeping issues we encountered. Since I don't see a widespread trend of other reviewers reporting housekeeping issues, I'll chalk it up to being the exception rather than the rule. And, hey, I was getting the room for free by using my Hilton points, so I can't be too demanding. :-)

Room Tip: Rooms that face Cleveland Street should be quietest, but there are not many of those.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank keithwnc
Hello Keith,
Thank you for your detailed review of the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Norfolk Airport. We really appreciate you taking the time to express your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff treated you well. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding last year. The wedding was at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens and this hotel was in a great location as it was near the beach, and the gardens. It took us about 10 minutes to get to the beach and a few more than that to get to the gardens.

First off, the key selling point on this hotel is the price. I am writing this review late, but I think our rate was ~80 bucks a night. Its a great deal, considering what you get for your dollar and compared to area hotels.

The hotel is relatively new and everything is in good shape. Check in/out went without an issue. The hotel lives up to the Homewood Suites name in every way and will meet the needs of most travelers.

We opted to eat out, there is a wonderful mexican resturant on the way to the beach, but the room had every kitchen applicance utensil you would need for a meal.

I would stay here again if I come back for another wedding.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goosebump6
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Hello,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach. I am glad you had a good experience with us! I will pass your comments on to my staff. It means a lot to all of us. Hopefully we will see you again if your travel needs bring you back to the area.

Meredith A. Brinkley