See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Looks old from outside as well as inside. Easy to find and few minutes drive from loads of eating places. Very close to beach. Reception very small and closes overnight not opens until 7am. Room 2 beds, and small table and chair, ok. Bathroom small. Had fridge, microwave and old TV. Free WIFI. Breakfast included was muffens and Danish, no room to eat in reception. Stayed 2 nights and each night woke about 3am due to noise from outside of people talking. Would probably not stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
TravelodgeGM2802, General Manager at Travelodge by Wyndham Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Hello,

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7574283434.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

I was a little anxious about staying - especially after I had read the review comment about bed bugs - but was actually pleasantly surpised. (I had a REALLY great prepaid rate for my three day stay in October 2011, and so had decided to stay despite my anxieties.) The room was CLEAN, and no bed bugs. My only concern in the area of hygiene was the refirgerator's freezer section needed defrosting.

The bathroom was bright - what with a window all its own. There was no balcony, but I knew that going in. I was on the third floor so I actually could see the ocean from my window, even though we were about 100 yrads from the water. All in all the location was great. I had great access to Laskin Road to get to Hilltop and good shopping, and the rest of the metro area.

Breakfast was passable, though there really was no facility for eating in the lobby. Nothing fancy - just cereal, juice, mini danish/donuts, and coffee (would've loved yogurt, but hey, can't really complain!).

I would recommend this motel to someone wanting economical accomodations at a great beach location. It's not a Marriott timeshare, but it doesn't purport to be. I give it 3.5 stars on a scale of 1 to 5.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe G

Reviewed 4 October 2011

I used my points for a free stay on my way to Smithfield, VA. Don't expect too much from this hotel for the rates they charge. The room had a "stove" more like a built in hot plate, microwave and fridge. There were NO untensils or pots or pans - bring your own! Room had a very musty smell but was clean and bed was comfortable. Had soap in the bath but nothing else but small bath towels and hand towels. The furniture also has seen a better day. Ask for 1st floor because there are no elevators to get up to the second floor. It was a bear carrying the suit case up those steps with all my wife's crap (I can say that because she doesn't read these reviews)! The staff was great and friendly. I missed the "breakfast" but had a nice cup of coffee. Location was very good - just off the boardwalk and across the street. Busy area with lots to see and plenty of places to eat. Parking lot was full but I was able to get a parking space each time we left. The cops were issuing parking tickets at night to those on the street - watch your time carefully if you park there. Seemed to be some savory characters milling about at night but they were quiet - most likely they were guests???
If you are looking for a no frills basic price hotel - this is it. I am more comfortable paying alittle more to get more.

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor no elevators to 2nd floor!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 August 2011

My boyfriend and I took his son and his son's friend to Virginia Beach for a small vacation. None of us had been to the beach in a very long time, so we were super excited. Most of the hotels we called were either booked or out of our price range. There was a Travelodge ON the beach, but when I called to ask questions, the front desk person wasn't very friendly, so I called the second Travelodge on Atlantic Avenue. The man at the front desk sounded very nice, and the price was fairly reasonable, so we decided to stay there for 4 nights. Basically we had a roof over our heads and had fun at the beach, but I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend it. Our room was pretty bad... the curtain had a huge hole in it, our bedspread had a cigarette burn, the cabinet that held the fridge was damaged and the fridge rocked where it sat, the mini blind in the bathroom was missing slats and when we pulled the cord to look out the window at the lovely view of the alley, the blind fell to the floor and broke. Also, the room safe didn't work and something was wrong with the ceiling above the tub... it was squishy and pushed up when you touched it. I read another review where someone mentioned folks hanging around outside. This was true as well. Two men were sitting on the outside steps one evening, blocking my way. I had to excuse myself and walk between them and felt very uncomfortable, especially since they made comments after I walked past them. I'm not even sure they were staying there. Because of this and some other factors, I did not feel safe at night. The pool was in the middle of the parking lot and the ice machine was in an area where I went one night and was somewhat afraid being down there alone. When things were mentioned to the man at the front desk about the broken blind, etc, there were no apologies, just things like "I will tell the maintenance person." I would strongly advise staying elsewhere. Thanks for reading!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Elizabeth S
TravelodgeGM28, Front Office Manager at Travelodge by Wyndham Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Dear,

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at ----------.

Normally a guest is charged for the damage in the room, but for the convenience of the guest experience it was on the house.

J Patel

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Take your own pots and pans and whatever you need to wash your dishes with if you are staying in a room with the kitchenette. GREAT location to the beach and within walking distance of alot of things you would need to get to if only on foot! EXCELLENT value for the price...VERY clean and got what we requested quickly (extra pillows). Will Definetly go back again. Those that have left negative feedback for this hotel need to stay at the oceanfront luxury hotels where they can expect to pay the price for all of the luxuries they are hoping to find in an affordable hotel! There were also NO BEDBUGS!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank firemanswoman75
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge by Wyndham Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear,

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at -----.

D. Patel.