“Not what I'd expect from Hilton”

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New Jersey
“Not what I'd expect from Hilton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton VA Beach for a friends wedding which took place on the 2nd floor. I stayed in a 2-full bed room, 4 people.

The first issue I had was the smell of the room. It had a very musty odor, like damp towels. It was difficult to regulate the temperature in the room despite the digital thermostat, which was oddly located all the way over in the corner by the window rather than somewhere more central in the room. Since a lot of heat and humidity emanates from the bathroom after using the shower and hairdrier, the thermostat would make sense near that area of the room instead and probably would resolve the musty odor.

The arrangement of the bathroom was such that the sink, toilet and shower were all behind the same door. I realize this is typically a bathroom arrangement, but with 4 individuals in one room, if someone is showering, it'd be nice to be able to use the sink without compromising privacy.

While I'm talking about the bathroom, I should mention the absence of towel racks. There were four adults, two of which were women (sometimes use two towels, one for hair), that's a lot of towels with no where to hang them! There was a two prong hook on the back of the door where the towels hang heaped together and never dry out completely.

My final complaint with the room was there was only one, small, ovular shaped garbage can between the room and bathroom. It fit basically one "to-go" bag of fast food.

For the nearly two hundred a night, Hilton should do much better! It was a beautiful location and the downstairs bar (while very expensive at $8/beer) was great with the fire pits!

If I return to Virginia Beach, I will definitely look for alternate hotel options, as this was not worth the price tag.

Room Tip: Try not to room with another couple if you can avoid it, rooms are not made to accommodate more than...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
We’re so sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay at the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront. We always strive to serve our guests, particularly our Diamond Members, and hope you consider giving our hotel another chance in the near future. We have sent our staff to check on the sound equipment in the gym and are glad you brought this to our attention. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the food at our restaurant, Catch 31, and hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Enjoyed two nights at this hotel, and though it was during a "cold" spell during the unusually warm spring we've been having (of course LOL) the view was lovely. We sat on the balcony and let the relaxing sights and sounds of the oceanfront wash all of our stress away.
The hotel restaurant on the lobby level was a bit noisy so conversation was a little difficult, BUT the macaroni and cheese side dish I ordered to supplement my 1/2 pound of steamed shrimp might be in my top ten list of foods I've ever tried. And that's saying a lot! it was fantastic.
One thing we found a bit odd for a hotel of this stature= there was no in-room refrigerator.

Room Tip: Definitely stick with the oceanfront rooms. Amazing.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank debhdramaqueen
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We booked 3 nights stay using reward certificates, on the Emporeum Club floor. We are Diamond HiltonHonors members. We had booked oceanfront rooms, with two double beds (the only option for 2 beds). When we arrived, we were told we had city view rooms, and I spoke right up about the ocean front. The best they could give us was ocean view for 2 nights and city view for the third. The desk assistant checked daily to see if there were any cancellations, but the hotel was completely sold out. The night before checking into the Hilton we had stayed at the Hampton North next door, and we normally stay at Hamptons, but thought the Club floor would be a nice change. I do not understand why they don't have two queen beds in their rooms. The two double rooms are actually smaller than the Hampton rooms, which did have 2 queens (and we had the oceanfront room at Hampton we had booked). I was happy to see that we did have a small fridge. Housekeeping checked a few times throughout the day to bring us clean linens and all the bottled water we wanted. Nobody at the desk ever mentioned that we had to insert our room key in the elevator to get to the 18th floor or higher, would have been nice to have mentioned! On the third night we got moved to a king city-view room with a rollaway for our son. We could still see the ocean, but no balcony. This room was on the opposite side of the hotel, overlooking the park, There was some sort of charity walk going on and very loud music playing all day. We would not have been happy with being on that side of the hotel our whole stay if there was music going on, which Ive read there is in the summer.
I went to the conceriege desk to get beach towels and chair coupons, however chairs are not available until May. And of course I got the expected try to sell the timeshare tour.
There was a convention going on the entire time we were there, as well as a couple of weddings. We went down to Catch31 for breakfast, wanting to have a hot meal as opposed to the cold continental breakfast offered on the club floor. There wasn't much appealing to us, so we ordered off the regular menu. The third mornning there, people from the convention came down to eat, the place was packed, and they were supposed to be eating upstairs but for whatever reason decided not to. Good thing it was our last day there because we would not have returned there to eat. We went down at 9:30 and at 10:10 still had not placed a food order or even been offered any coffee. When the food finally did come it was good, but we didn't get out of there until 11, which was check out time.
We did go in both pools during our stay, the rooftop infinity pool was nice, though not deep enough, and it was warm. The indoor pool we had to ourselves, lots of sunbathers and drinkers. One night my husband took my son up at 8:30 to swim, only to find they had closed the pool early (supposed to be open until 9) because it wasn't getting enough use. talk about disappointing an 11 year old, the Hampton pool was open 24 hours.
Upon checkout, we were told to leave our room keys in the room. Nobody mentioned that we would need them to get out of the parking garage! I cannot believe there is a fee for parking, especially since we were Diamond members, staying on the club level.
All in all, I would not stay at this Hilton again, especially for the price, since overall the Hampton was nicer/better at a fraction of the cost.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the way to go, but don't expect to get one if you book one. If you end up...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Momtotwokids
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

The hotel overall was very nice, though some of the furnishings were dated. The room was very clean and the hotel staff attentive. The one complaint I have about this hotel was that the internet service was terrible. I called to complain and was put through to technical service. The tech guy wanted me to walk around the room to see if the signal was stronger somewhere else in the room at which point I hung up. I think if the Hilton chain is going to charge for internet it needs to work. This is generally always my complaint when I stay at a Hilton. The internet service, in a technical term, sucks. In every other respect, I enjoyed my stay and have already booked again for next year. I used valet parking, and because of an event going on Saturday had to walk to the garage to meet the valet. My car was pulled out and waiting for me.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Woodbridge, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in an oceanfront room with a nice size balcony on the 9th floor. The king size bed room was large enough to accomodate a roll away bed also. It was still not warm enough to go swimming on the bed but the indoor pool rooftop had a nice view and plenty of lounge chairs. The hotel restaurant atmosphere and seafood selections were excellent. Alittle pricey but worth the money. Prepare to bring nice casual clothes to dine at the steakhouse restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family