“go elsewhere unless your cheap like i am”

Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency
Ranked #65 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
pittsburgh
“go elsewhere unless your cheap like i am”
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I read all the other reviews and decided to book to motel anyway. the first five minutes that i was there they had just the worst attitudes because we wante to see the room b4 we paid for the second night. We did see the room and it was not too bad for the price and foe how close it was to the beach. I was alil hard to sleep due to all the noise outside but that would be expected but the fire alarm went off twice at around five in the morning without a cause. Not the best sleep ever, thats for certain. Overall it was not the worst but def NOT that great, but it was cheap.

• Stayed June 2009
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Virginia
Reviewed 16 June 2009

My boyfriend and I went down for a weekend and decided we would save a little money by not staying right on the beach. Online this motel sounded great and the price was even better. One thing that caught my eye was "Newly remodeled rooms", I DON'T THINK SO. The rooms were old, dirty, and smelt horrible. We had to go buy air freshner to TRY to make the room smell better. Didn't work. Our first night was horrible. The outside noise kept us up all night. I understand that you will hear noise being next to the road, but the 3 inch gap under the door and the window that didn't shut all the way didn't help the situation. And I think we would have been more comfortable sleeping and the floor than the hard bed in the room. The next morning (9am) I asked to be moved away from the street and about 4pm we finally got moved. Room was even nastier. The iron was coroded, the sink didn't drain and the smell and beds were even worse. And our neighbors partied half the night, even though we called the front desk twice to ask them to address the noise. I couldn't even enjoy myself when I got home, because I had to wash all my clothes, even the clean ones, twice to get the disgusting smell out of them. Needless to say, I will NEVER stay here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GivemeabreakVirginia
washington, dc
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I have never posted a review, but this is a HEALTH HAZARD. My friends and I had 2 rooms and 1 of the rooms stunk like cat pee. When we reported it to the manager, he sent up the maintenance man with a bottle of de-odorizing spray. By this time, it was almost 1am... we were tired of driving and wanted to call it a night. The maintenance guy said that the house was full, so they couldn't change our rooms. After complaining that it smelled like cat pee, the maintenance guy responded saying it was actually the MOLD under the carpets and in the walls since we are by the beach. I was astonished that he would tell us that, esp because of the seriousness that comes from this problem. He continued to tell us that our room is one of the older ones that hasn't been renovated or used in a long time. His solution was to spray the deodorizer into the carpet and throughout our room... basically leaving us w/a strong stink of cat pee mixed with the not so pleasant deodorizing spray.

We reported this to the manager downstairs later and he got very angry and said that was not mold and claimed that the maintenance guy did not say that. I told him to find his maintenance guy and he said that 1) he's not here at the moment and 2) if he really did say that, he would have been fired... and 3) that it wasn't mold.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank shchao
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 27 May 2009

After reading the reviews here, I initially decided not to stay in this motel. I have a 2 year old kid and not a risk taker. Since this was kind of last minute planning for the Memorial day weekend, most of the hotels that i wanted to stay were not available. So i pretty much narrowed down to Sundial, Breakers and Surfside Oceanfront - All 3 of them were around $130-175 a night. The rest of the hotels where I could find accomadation were priced above $250 a night. So among the 3, i chose to go with Sundial. They charged me $137 a night (tax inclusive). I bought a room freshner and disinfectant just in case.
To my surprise the room was really decent. It was a big suite, with fully equiped kitchen, microwave (came handy when we wanted to warm up the baby food) and fridge.
The mattress was soft, but not too soft, just good enough. After reading the moth mildew story I was too scared. Anyways I had sprayed the room freshner just because i bought it. Don't expect a luxury hotel, this is just a decent one. Another good thing is they are right on 21st and Atlantic Ave intersection, so it is easier to get to other restaurants, beach and the attractions on the boardwalk. This is our first stay here and we plan to return back and stay with them.
Few things that i didn't like was that they don't have washer/dryer, their rooms didn't have clock radios (not sure if their phone had alarm facility) and the carpet looked old.
The people in the front desk was very helpful. When I was planning to go to the nearest laudromat they advised me against using any of the laundry facilities near by ("people" hang out).
And guys don't miss out the next door Mexican restaurant Guadalajara, it was awesome. (Got to write a review about them)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 19 January 2009

My pipes have been frozen for 3 days and my family needed a place to stay, you know just for a shower and to use the bathroom. The person at the front desk was really rude!!! He would not even look at me, and you know, I do not think he was even an American Citizen. He jacked up the price on me! And on top of that I got a flat tire just trying to get over their mountian speed bumps. The room smelled like a porta potty and their were bugs everywhere. I have 3 kids, my baby is 2 and all 3 were so scared of all the bugs! Do not rent a room here..........that is all I have to say. The rudeness and the dirtiness and 3x the reg. price!

• Liked — nothing at all
  • Disliked — Everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)