“...and would you like fries with that?”

Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency
Ranked #65 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“...and would you like fries with that?”
Reviewed 10 October 2008

Somewhere cheap and cheerful at Virginia Beach. It was okay, the view wasn't great, McDonalds Car Park has never looked so great! The fridge was a little grim, but otherwise the room and bathroom was clean and the place was okay.

I'd certainly not want to stay here a whole week, however for a one night stop over, it could have been worse!

• Liked — Cheap price
  • Disliked — Not really anything special
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Virginia
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Upon our arrival the place looked just like the pictures on the website. The staff were all very nice. Our room was spacious and clean. We were very pleased with our overall stay.

We already have reservations for the end of September.

I have read the other reviews and apparantly those who were completely dissatisfied must have been expecting the Hylton. As far as the noise, etc. - it is Virginia Beach - this is a very busy place.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Not close enough to the beach
  • Stayed June 2008
Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I found this hotel to be clean and well-kept. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, you should probably look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a great deal, this hotel is great! My family of four (with two teen-aged girls) had plenty of space in our room with two standard double beds. The staff was difficult to understand, but very polite and helpful.

• Liked — The cleanliness and the price.
  • Disliked — The front office staff was difficult to understand.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2008

I booked this week long holiday to enjoy the 2nd week of the GM shut down. I called this place and spoke to OUSHA
( pronounced OOO-SHA ) and booked on July 3rd to arrive on July 5th for 1 week. All went well on the phone, BUT that's where it ended.
When I arrived with my wife & daughter, there was a BUM SLEEPING ON THE SIDEWALK in front of the place. NICE!!!!!!!!
I went into the office to let them know that we had arrived and that we wanted to see our room BEFORE we checked in. Idiot at the front desk told me I couldn't see the room until I paid and checked in.
That was my SECOND CLUE to find someplace else. First was the BUM SLEEPING.
While booking this [--] place, I was told that hey were only a HALF block from the ocean.
Took me 10 minutes to walk to the ocean.
Pool was dirty and full of sand and who knows what else.
Needless top say I wanted my deposit back on my credit card.
Again had to talk to OUSHA to get this done as the idiot at the front desk was to stupid to do this himself.
They tried to tell me that " If you want to CANCEL your reservation, you must do it 72 hours (3 days) before you arrived"
Well I made my reservations on July 3rd, that being only 48 hours before I was to arrive. So I was told that when I got there " Due to you not giving us 72 hours, you are NOT ENTITLED to a refund"
Have you ever tried to tell someone that your reservations were only made 2 days ago and that this should not apply to me.
Well don't try it here because they are to stupid to think of this and give you a refund you deserve.
I eventually got mine but had to threaten them with fraud and call the local sherriff and explain it to him.
That worked, I got my refund. I guess the Sherriff has been here before.

My advice on this place--------DO NOT STAY HERE PERIOD FOR ANY REASON.

FIND A HOTEL WITH A OCEAN VIEW.
I DID AND HAD A BETTER TIME THERE.
Got some excellent pictures form my 5th floor patio overlooking the ocean. Awesome view.

Thanks and good day. Enjoy the beach.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank 88dalejr88
New York
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Warning to all people looking to travel to Virginia Beach. Do NOT stay at the Sundial. My friends and I decided to take a somewhat last minute trip to VA Beach for the long weekend over July 4th. When I say last minute, we waited until a few weeks before to book a hotel. Most of our options seemed to have no vacancies that close to the holiday weekend, obviously a popular travel time.

We came a cross a very reasonably priced place on the internet, having no prior knowledge of Virginia Beach. The Sundial's website looked nice enough, and it was extremely close to the beach and boardwalk. How could we go wrong? We knew it was cheap so probably not the nicest place around, but we had no idea how terrible our experience would be.

From the moment we called to book the room, the hotel staff was very unfriendly over the phone. But we let it slide. Once we got to the room, one couldn't help but noticed the stank odor which occupied our hotel room. Next was the bathroom, which did not have a working light. The other problem about the bathroom was that the shower curtain was hanging from the bolts in the wall (and eventually fell out of the wall, we called the front desk to inform them of this so they wouldn't charge us for it later). They did fix it in a timely manner, I'll give them that.

The room did not feel very sanitary, but that was another thing that I told myself I could deal with. The problems I specifically recall were, 1) as I was drying off after my shower in the dark with no curtain, I noticed a brown stain on my towel. 2) we found a bug on one of the pillows, and 3) after our first day at the beach, we must've gotten some sand on the bed, the next day the sand was still there - showing us they didn't bother changing our sheets. God only knows if they changed the sheets BEFORE we checked in. One can only hope.

All of that aside, I was able to deal. My biggest problem was, the last night we spent in the hotel, July 5th, my 2 friends and I were unable to sleep all night. The reason for this was that at around 12:30 am the people in the room next door turned their TV on blasting and we couldn't fall asleep at all. I called the front desk who said they'd take care of it. 30 minutes later, no change, I called again, they said they called the room and no one answered. (Obviously they probably couldn't hear the phone.) No change and about an hour or so later, in addition to the loud TV/Music coming from the room next door, there were now a group of loud people screaming and partying in the room and right in front of our room and our door.

I called the front desk again and they still said they would do something, but nothing happened for at least another hour. It was now about 4am, my friends and I had to get up at 8am to do the 9 hour drive back toNY. On pretty much no sleep.

I am normally not a complainer and I can put up with a lot. I honestly didn't mind the room and hotel that much until the last night, when the hotel management absolutely refused to do anythign about our discomfort and the fact that there were loud people blasting music and partying in the very early hours of the morning. At 8am before we drove off, I Went to the front office and asked to speak with the manager (who happened to be the same person answering the phones all night). Instead of apologizing, or being sympathetic, he chose to argue with me about it and tell me that they weren't answering their phone when he called to tell them to quiet down. Real nice to argue with the customer.

He offered me 10% off my next stay. I told him that I garauntee I would never ever stay at that place again. And I urge everyone who reads this review to not stay there either, Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra money and stay somewhere actually decent. This place was AWFUL.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — The hotel staff was awful
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family