“Not the nicest, but defintely not the worst”

Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Not the nicest, but defintely not the worst”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This place was conveniently located and was available at a good price on a holiday weekend. The hurricane damaged the place my husband and I were going to stay in VB, so this was one of the only open motels around. The price was great. The staff was really helpful and friendly. We had to move rooms (at no fault of the motels, but because we had only made reservations for 2 nights and decided to stay for 2 more) and we left our nice pillows from home behind on accident. When we called the office to see if maybe they had found them (thinking that there was no way we'd get them back) our pillows were there with freshly washed pillow cases. I was impressed. This is most definitely not a luxuary hotel, but it was clean, the staff was helpful and accommodating, and the location was great. Its a great place to sleep and shower...what else do you really need at the beach on a budget? I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The king room that we switched into was nice and big with a full kitchen. That was unexpected for t...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lirpalovestotravel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We went to VA Beach for two nights. I was a little worry about staying at this motel since the reviews were 50/50. I should have listen. The beds are horrible, they are hard and you will barely sleep. The motel is clean but has moldy, muggy smell when you open the bedroom doors. It states "no smoking" but I doubt it's enforced as the room did also have a scent of stale smoke.

The prices are very reasonable for a beach motel and the location is great. If you don't mind hard beds and smelly room it should be fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank love2travel0228
Washington, DC
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed over the Labor Day weekend, which is the peak of the high season in Virginia Beach, especially because of the Rock & Roll Half Marathon - the motive for our trip. We chose this hotel for two reasons - location (convenient to both start and finish lines of the race) and price (about half what the hotels on the Boardwark charged).

Sundial Inn advertises as a Hotel on-line, but as a Motel locally - and that's what it is. Check-in included them making a copy of my ID, which isn't what happens at hotels I usually frequent. The elevator to the third floor was so smelly, that we used the stairs for the rest of our stay. The floor is painted concrete in stairs and aisles, with sand, dirt and cigarette butts laying around. Our two rooms are ample, but smelly. The matresses were so old, that we had to sleep on the very edge, to get some support, and they smelled of old urine. We considered sleeping on the floor, but the carpet had wet spots, that we thought the bedspread would not provide an appropriate barrier for. And we never were able to get the wireless working on our devices.

I do regret not having shelled out the money to stay at a better place.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Chocolatl
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Stayed overnight in a regular room (included fridge and microwave). Made the reservation at the last minute, and the rate was more than $80 per night less than any other hotel close to (or on) the beach. Accommodations were dated, but spacious and clean. If you are mainly interested in spending your time on the beach, this is a decent place to stay. It is a couple of blocks from the beach and convenient to restaurants, shopping, and other attractions in walking distance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mayofam2
Radford, Virginia
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My Fiance and I took a vacation in the beginning of July 2011 and stayed at the Sundial for 2 nights. It was very cheap compared to everything else and nicer than a few of the others that were actually more expensive. When we first arrived it was awesome, we didn't have to wait that long for a room and they called us when it was ready. Upon entering the room I was surprised how appealing it was, I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Granite counter tops clean floors and mirrors, everything looked awesome. The air worked very good, almost to good lol. That night after being out very late we came back to the room to sleep and turned down the sheets to one of the beds......here is where it got bad, the sheet had what appeared to be a make-up stain on it and it was pretty big. Also their was a washcloth with unpleasant sticky hard stuff on it. Had an idea of what it might have been if you know what I mean....well then we went to the other bed and it was clean and I made sure of it. So we went to sleep and the next morning I called the front desk and had them come change my sheets after I told them what I had discovered in the bed the night before. The front desk lady who claimed to be the Manager was VERY rude and told me that I was lying about the washcloth and that I didn't know what I was talking about. I tried to get some type of discount and compensation but she refused. After we were able to put that behind us our vacation was wonderful. I would consider returning to the same hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple