“Nice room with great ocean view”

Barclay Towers Resort Hotel
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Nice room with great ocean view”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

A friend/business associate booked our rooms and I didn't know what to expect until we got there. Friendly people at the service desk had us signed in quickly. Glanced through the door from the lobby and saw the ocean was right there. I went upstairs to my room and discovered the two room suite which was nice and quite comfortable. Enjoyed stepping out onto the balcony to look out at the ocean. The living room was nice with a table and couch and TV and kitchen. The bedroom was nice also and the bed was comfortable to sleep on. It was great to have breakfast outside and be able to see and hear the ocean. It was a nice setting for a business breakfast. This is definitely a nice hotel and I enjoyed being able to walk right out to the beach and also on the boardwalk. I didn't use the indoor pool but it was a good size and the area was clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RichThornton_11
, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and suggestions and hope to see you on your next visti to Virginia Beach.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We checked into this hotel in April because we were in town for a wedding. The first room we checked into was COVERED in BUGS. Dead bugs all over the window sills, bathroom, everywhere. Hundreds of them. We told front desk and they asked if we wanted them to spray the room! The bugs were already dead!!! They moved us to another room and it didn't have bugs but did have feces all over the bathroom wall. After a long ten hour drive we had to pack all of our things back in the truck and move to another hotel which we had to pay a premium for because of the last minute reservations. Very disappointing. PLEASE steer clear of this hotel. The staff was very nice but hotel is terrible!!! How do they call this a resort????

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank betc0126
Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced when checking in with us. Your comments are essential to the operation, as they help us to better provide what our guests expect. You can be assured that I have shared your comments with housekeeping and the front desk personel, to help prevent these problems from happening in the future. Virginia Beach is such a great Vacation destination, and it remains my goal to provide top notch accommodations for our visitors.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed at Barcley two times (Aug 2010/2011) & are coming back again this summer. The biggest advantage of this place - fully equipped kitchen, that makes this hotel a perfect vacation place for families with kids. We stayed each time for 7 nights & saved "lots" of money on cooking food ourselves. Groceries are available at the Harris Teeters (with guest discount card the prices are even cheaper than in Canada). Location is just perfect: proximity to all shops, restaurants, beach etc. Hotel is located on the not so noisy end of board walk & close to kids playground. Parking available in front of hotel as well as across the street (I recommend the second option - it is covered & car is not overheated). Breakfast is a very basic one, but what do you need at 7 am: coffee, cereal, bagel, juice, toast, apple.. it is all there! Staff was dealing very professionally with all our requests. Why some people complain about the elevator being slow... it is OK ( do not expect high speed elevator in 8 store building; if it is too slow - take the steps & kill some calories!)/ Rooms are spacious & after two years of shopping around -- Barkley is still the best choice in terms of quality & price. Wireless internet is quite fast & free; complementary newspaper in the lobby: most of big cities hotels charge for this!! And the last: it is an amazing ocean front view in each room!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank VH-Toronto
, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
I'm glad you enjoy being at Barclay Towers for your stays in Virginia Beach. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We take great pride in providing a great value vacation, and look forward to seeing you back again.
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have been traveling from New York to Virginia Beach for years (always during the month of August) and I always stay at an oceanfront hotel. I just love Virginia Beach and Barclay Towers is the perfect oceanfront hotel to stay at for a couple or a couple with up to two children. Units include a bedroom with a king sized bed and a living area with a queen sized pull out sofa. The living area also has a built-in kitchen with appliances including fridge, stove, sink, dishwasher, dishes, silverware, glasses, a table to eat at, etc... Although dining out is great (and I do recommend one of the many all-you-can eat seafood buffets located off the premises), having these built-in kitchen appliances can save you a lot of money even if only used for breakfast and/or lunch. All rooms are oceanfront, oceanfront, oceanfront. Did I say oceanfront? They include a balcony (except for the 1st floor which has a patio instead of a balcony) and if you leave the balcony door open, your room will be filled with the relaxing sounds of ocean waves crashing one after another. And do bring binoculars! Although you can see the dolphins swim by from your balcony without them, you'll want to have a pair for close ups. Oh yeah, and in the event that it rains, there is an indoor swimming pool, hot tub and exercise room located on the premises as well. I look forward to returning to Barclay Towers this August and each August thereafter.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jim C
, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
I'm glad you enjoy being at Barclay Towers for your stays in Virginia Beach. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and suggestions and look forward to seeing you in August.
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Hi, I recently stayed with a couple and their infant at Barclay Towers. The stay was for five nights. The staff is friendly. A nice complimentary breakfast is available. The best pizza place is across from the front entrance, we enjoyed a dolphin watch boat ride, and of course, went to fine dinining at Rockefellas. I have stayed at the same place for several years, all rooms oceanfront. I had hours of fun with baby Sky in my jogging stroller. I will go back later this summer or next May.

Room Tip: All oceanfront.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We look forward to your return visit.