“The Cutty Sark brought back my childhood days...”
other travellers have booked this property
HISTORIC BEACH COTAGES COLEOUS IN GARDEN
PLAYGOUND ON OCEAN
PLAYGROUND AND BENCHES
CUTTY SARK POOL ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE WHITE HOUSE
FUN FOR EVERYONE
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“West Wing - Cutty Sark”
Reviewed 30 July 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

We just returned today, July 29, 2012 from a week in the West Wing apartment of the White House. The apartment was very clean, fresh paint, clean carpet. Our only "surprise" is that this is a basement apartment; when we first arrived we were a bit disappointed that due to that fact obviously we didn't have a view and one bedroom is pretty dark due to lack of any windows. It is a bit rustic - the appliances in the kitchen are quite dated but work. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is great - it is steps from the beach and boardwalk but because it is at the very north end it is quiet and away from the crowds at night. Do remember however you are in the flight part of the military planes. The first night it woke me but after that we got used to it. We would return to the Cutty Sark cottages but would chose a different apartment. If you want the amenities of a large hotel such as daily maid service and a pool this is not the place for you. If you want a homey atmosphere and don't mind bringing your own towels and cleaning before you leave this is a great value. If you book the West Wing take your own pillows and an extra fan. Internet access is only available if you go to the lobby across the street.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Basement apartment
Travelling group: Teenagers
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
29 Jul 2012
THANK YOU FOR STAYING WITH US IN THE WEST WING. IT IS ONE OF OUR LARGER APTS, AND IT IS GREAT FOR FAMILIES. PEOPLE SEEM TO LIKE THE PRIVATE GARDEN AREA FOR MEALS. I'M SORRY YOU WERE DISTURBED BYTHE PLANES. THEY ARE A PART OF OUR LIFE AND WE ARE ACCUSTOMED TO THEM. BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT GUEST CAN BE DISTURBED. WE HAD ONE GUEST WHO SAID IT WAS LIKE HAVING A FREE AIR-SHOW ALL THE TIME. SOMETIMES IT IS MORE INTENSE THAN OTHERS. IF THEY ARE GETTING IN EXTRA PRACTICE, IF THEY ARE PREPARING TO DEPLOY, TO GO TO WAR
IT GETS SERIOUS. OVERALL, I HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT TIME
AND WILL COME AGAIN AND PERHAPS BOOK ANOTHER OF OUR COTTAGES THAT HAS AN OCEANVIEW. MOST CORDIALLY, MS KOCH INNKEEPER
Hil44
nj
“Great Value”
Reviewed 3 July 2012 for a stay in June 2012
person found this review helpful

This place was very quaint, convenient, and a VERY good value.

We stayed for only $95/night during the first weekend of June at Cutty Sark Efficiency.

Upon checking in I was skeptical because just by walking into the check-in area you can immediately see how outdated the place is. The desk area was decorated by old dolls and figurines - very creepy considering the drive through VB to get to the place looked modern. Check in entailed all paperwork - nothing electronic. I had to fill a paper with my information and they photo copied my ID. This place should honestly get with the times!

From the pictures on their website, I had already planned on what the room was going to look like. And it was pretty accurate! The room was pretty spacious and very clean for a motel standard. The kitchenette area was very outdated with a rusty fridge - but still kept our drinks cold. The bathroom was very clean - no signs on mildew or anything gross. The beds were not the greatest - but i'm used to sleeping on a memory foam with down comforters - but they did the job for the 2 nights we stayed. The walls are paper thin - heard everything from all sides and through the ceiling such as peoples conversations walking past the door, someone watching TV next door, people walking in the room above us. Typical to lower end hotels/motels, so i wasnt surprised. I am a light sleeper, and I know the noise could have been louder at a place like this, so this wasnt too much of a problem. If someone was having a party, then it probably would have been a worse stay.

The location is perfect if you are just trying to experience the beach. If you dont mind, it is a long walk to the heart of the VB activities since this is located on 37th. But for just the beach, it is a great location because it is right across the street and isnt too crowded. You can rent bikes if you dont want to walk or drive. There are places within a few blocks of Cutty Sark to rent them.

But overall - comparing Cutty Sark to other hotels/motels in the area - it is an awesome value. The hotels/motels in the area (by the pictures and reviews) look just as outdated and even have worse reviews than here, but were triple the price! Maybe VB just needs to update all of its accommodations citywide? This is a nice place to stay - very nice people that run it.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
27 Jul 2016
Come again soon...
jck1962
ddrum2009
“Terrible teriible customer service from the manager”
Reviewed 30 August 2011 for a stay in August 2011
people found this review helpful

I never got a chance to stay here because of Hurricane Irene, we all know what damage this storm did along the East coast, with days of flooding in the Northeast, when I called to cancel no one answered the phones. I sent an e-mail letting them know we would not be able to make our trip due to the weather and requests from Governors across four states not to travel, I asked for a refund and was told by the manager, sun is shining here, we have electric, it's not our fault you can't get here, I even suggested splitting the difference and he flatly refused stating I booked my room June 19th, I had plenty of time to cancel, this trip was for my Honeymoon, I did not cancel because I did not want to travel, stay away from this place!!!!!

Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
30 Aug 2011
As we all know, we cannot control the weather. The Cutty Sark can guarantee our accommodations are available to you for the dates requested. Cancellations policies are in place to protect both parties. You might consider travel insurance the next time you book a vacation.
20746
Washington
“Old & Shabby”
Reviewed 24 August 2011 for a stay in August 2011
people found this review helpful

I stayed in the old efficiency hotel and could handle only two nights there. The room I had was not appealling with the old cinder block walls, strange ceilings and very worn out furnishings. There are no phones, but I had my cell and the TV was old with bad reception along with the cable panel hanging from the wall. Everything in the room/bathroom is in dire need of a serious upgrade. Parking was also tight in the small lot and designated areas. The jets flying around the area is extremely loud and can be annoying for early sleepers. The only good thing about this place is the convenient location and my balcony that had an ocean view.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: ocean view from balcony
Liked least: Shabby room and cheap worn out furnishings & stained towels
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
24 Aug 2011
The Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel is indeed vintage. We have enjoyed generations of families that continue to make the Cutty Sark their lodging of choice. We have been able to enjoy watching their families grow and become part of our family.

The jets, Oceana Naval Air Station is the largest air base in the world. We are so fortunate to have "the sound of freedom" at our oceanfront. Our jets were first responders on 9/11. Some guests refer to our jets as a free air show.
Cobb_Isla...
Cobb Island, MD
“The Cutty Sark brought back my childhood days. Very retro.”
Reviewed 6 July 2011 for a stay in July 2011
people found this review helpful

We stayed in an efficiency and it was perfect for the 2 of us. What I found truly unique about this property was its staff. They are very knowledgeable about the area, wanted to please us in every way and have a great sense of humor. Linens were changed in our efficiency every day and was cleand. What is also great is the location of the property. We were away from the busy nightlife but close enough to take a walk to nightly concerts, stores, restaurants, etc. All of these properties have an ocean view. Shuttle stop was right out front of the property which ran every 10 to 15 minutes. There are other properties owned by the same Innkeeper across the street which would hold groups of people.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Your age range 50-64
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Rugged travelers
5 Jul 2011
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. WE HAVE BEEN ON THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD FOR ALMOST 40 YEARS AND GUEST SUCH AS YOURSELF CONTINUE TO GIVE US GREAT PLEASURE. DO COME AGAIN. ALL THE BEST. MS. KOCH, INNKEEPER
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing