“Left slightly disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Church Point Manor
Washington, DC
“Left slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I was really looking forward to my stay at this B&B based on previous reviews and was sad that I left disappointed. The best part of our stay was the location: it is in an affluent and quiet residential part of town, away from the craziness of the main beach drag. It's a nice spot for couples trying to get away but would still like to be near the main attraction. It is NOT the best choice for families wanting to be closer to the beach because it is quite a drive.

The customer service was below average at best. I called numerous times to confirm my reservation but there was no answer. I left many voice messages and still no call back. Weird, but I figured they were just busy. I finally got a hold of someone the day before our reservation, confirmed our arrival time and dress code for the restaurant (I was told there was no dress code). We arrived at 6 pm for check-in. There was no one at the desk. Waited around for about 10 min in the lobby and still not a soul in sight. I finally decided to call the number posted on their door and the person who answered sounded like I was bothering her. After checking in and a quick tour of the house, we inquired about the restaurant. She looked us up and down (we are in our 30s, wearing shorts and T-shirts after a long drive from DC) and she simply responded "our restaurant is semi-formal." We were somewhat taken aback by her response. It definitely made us feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed. I also informed her that I was running the VA Beach Half Marathon and will likely not get back until around 10:30, so I asked if they can save us our breakfast for when I return (it's a B&B, after all). She said she'd look into it but never got a response after that.

The main house was nice, some parts are old, some parts are new. However, because of a wedding, we were moved to the carriage house, which is the newer part of the property. Not a big deal. The room was average, really nothing to write home about. The grounds are well-kept. There's a lake you can walk to, and the property is near a golf course.

Overall, the property was okay but not stellar, customer service could be improved, I wish I could comment on the restaurant. I've stayed at many B&Bs in the past ranging from 2 stars to 5 stars and I felt that the hospitality is the big reason I choose them over hotels. Such was not the case at Church Point Manor. I will not stay here again and I cannot recommend it to family or friends.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mdavidohoh
, General Manager at Church Point Manor, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
I'm very sorry you had such a disappointing stay. We are under new management and have new Innkeepers. We now offer room service if you do not feel comfortable in the restaurant. Our dress attire for the restaurant is polo shirts for men and no flip-flops If you would like to try another stay here, we would love another chance to improve your opinion of Church Point Manor. Please contact me personally at manager@churchpointmanor.com and I will do what I can to make your future stay a fabulous experience.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Yorktown, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

I recently attended a wedding reception at Church Point Manor with 25 other guests. I was disappointed with the service staff and from the wedding planner Ron. The manor has inadequate room to sit unless you want to sit out with the mosquitos. Some guests sat on couches to eat. The food portions were very small served by the hotel staff. I asked for another salad and they said that was not allowed even though half of the large salad was still left. The chicken cordon blue was very small and dry and they ran out. The beef and potatoes were OK but again small portions. Leftover food was packed into a car out front. We asked for a plate for a late coming guest and they refused. The cake order by the bride was the wrong cake. The wedding planner Ron also promise a champagne basket in the room that was included in the package. No champange basket was delivery to the room even though the bride and groom reminded them out the basket. This hotel could be a nice place for a reception if managed well.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank deeandboys919
, General Manager at Church Point Manor, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
I'm very sorry you had such a disappointing experience with the wedding you attended. We are under new management and have new Innkeepers. We no longer offer reception space only offer intimate celebrations such as birthdays or family reunions of no more than 50 persons. This makes it a much more enjoyable experience for our guests. If you would like to try a stay here as a guest, we would love another chance to improve your opinion of Church Point Manor. Please contact me personally at manager@churchpointmanor.com and I will do what I can to make your future stay a fabulous experience.
Christiansburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

We weren't 100% sure what to expect about Church Point Manor. The website doesn't have many pictures or specific room descriptions, but we decided to take a chance... and we are so glad we did. This is one of the most beautiful B&Bs we have ever stayed at. Our room (the Provence) was lovely and the bed was so comfortable. It was very quiet and had great curtains to block the light, allowing us the luxury of sleeping in. Speaking of sleeping in, the breakfasts here are continental style, so you can get up at 8AM or laze until 10AM and still have food. We really appreciated that!

Staying at Church Point Manor was so much nicer than staying at a chain hotel at the ocean front - and a better bargain, too!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Long Island, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We were delighted with our stay at the Church Point Manor in Virginia Beach. We spoke with Judy about the inn over the phone before making our reservation and felt comfortable that it would be a nice spot for our stay in Virginia Beach. It exceeded our expectations. Everything was clean and the staff was friendly and attentive. Heather was awesome about providing restaurants, directions, etc. The breakfasts were excellent--I want the tomato pie recipe! Thank you for everything!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. It was our first time to Virginia Beach. Not only did Cathy and Judy really take care of us but the honeymoon suite was perfect. The house in general has an old world feel like many of the big farm houses and b&b's I have stayed in the UK. The honeymoon suite consists of a huge bedroom with a king size 4-poster bed, a sitting room equip with flat screen tv, a spacious bathroom with his and her vanities, a nice size shower and a separate tub. And each room had a working gas fireplace, including the bathroom! The grounds are beautifully manicured and I enjoyed my morning strolls down the path to the water. Cathy and Judy were friendly, helpful and ensured we were enjoying our stay throughout our long weekend. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple