“Liked it so much we played hooky from work and stayed a few days extra.”

Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Super clean, delicious breakfast, comfortable, cozy, friendly hosts. Walking distance from the beach and many local seafood restaurants. We could not have had a better time.

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank Sheila-BC
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Since this was Miss Barclay's School for 50 years, I wonder what Miss Lillian Barclay would have said if she knew you had played 'hooky' in her school??? Well, she's not here any more and we are and we're glad you did!!! Thank you for being here with us...we really enjoyed your visit! And thank you for your review and picture.
Marie-Louise

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have stayed multiple times at this excellent B&B - and this time our anniversary trip coincided with the Neptune Festival weekend. What a wonderful way to combine the fun, excitement and activity of the beach with the quiet, serene, relaxing pampering we received while guests at the Cottage! The entire B&B is tidy and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Breakfasts are delicious and plentiful - the aromas in the morning when waking up from a very restful sleep are a great way to start the day. We almost always stay in Alice's Room which is lovely and filled with old-fashioned touches (the sinfully comfortable pillow-top mattress doesn't hurt either!). What remains the most impressive are the little details/amenities which fill the Cottage and the attention the owners pay to these personal touches. During our stay, we encountered other guests who on repeat visits, so we are not alone in our opinion of this wonderful B&B. So, stop reading this review and make your reservation already! ;-)

Room Tip: Steve & Marie-Louise LaFond will not hesitate to provide you with any recommendations or informa...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank RevLou
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review from your stay with us. As I think you know, it is getting to know folks like you through innkeeping that has made our life so rewarding. We miss you and are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

Our trip was mixed business and nostalgia trip so I wanted to stay at a B n B. Barley Cottage is an historic building a couple blocks from the beach with wonderful porches. All of the rooms are lovely, comfy and have nice antiques and old fashioned touches. The baths are super clean, the towels great, linens high count and each room has a cute desk. The ceiling fans are nice.

I found literally no reviews before staying, found this website for posting one after our visit. Steve and Marie-Louise, the proprietors, are personable, intelligent and understanding of allergies and diets and suchlike. For people with dog allergies, be warned that the dog does not go in the rooms but does enter the common rooms and stays in the office.

The one day spent in the inn was noisy but the nights were blessedly quiet and that was extraordinary in the scheme of things because the house was being scraped for painting (I covet their painting contractor by the way. That guy is conscientious), one of those necessary events that takes time and is hard to schedule because of the weather.

I especially want to commend Steve for finding some information on and directions to local historic places we wanted to visit, Eastern Shore Chapel and Old Donation Church. He also lent us his ADC foldout map, which we might return next trip. On the helpful end, Marie Louise went to three local pharmacies to get us something ordinary that instantly had become rare. She persisted and saved the day.

Marie-Louise is a great cook. An eggy souffle thing she did in custard cups was magnificent. They serve good bacon and magnificent little sausages. Ripe fresh fruit would have been welcomed but it is winter and we Washingtonians are spoiled with the kind of markets hard to find down there. Maybe we'll bring something interesting down on our next trip as a gift.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent. All have access to a porch
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank NavyJunior
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2011

Love the title of your review. Yes, Virginia is wonderful in the winter! The Christmas light show along the Boardwalk is very special and goes until January 2.

If you're bringing a gift of fruit, please don't make it oranges or grapefruit, since we get a fresh bushel shipped from Florida every month ... I guess I forgot to mention that. Fruit is always fresh and a different kind is served every day...caramel baked apples; fresh pineapple and sliced oranges with bananas topped with toasted fresh coconut; strawberries with fresh whipped cream were the beginnings of the breakfasts you had during your stay and we also served you grapefruit and kiwi with berries as sides during the second course on two mornings and fresh apple French Toast on the third. Hmmmm...what did I miss?

Thank you so much for complimenting Keith. He was very pleased. He was also happy the day he was scraping the outside when I asked him to stop...scraping is really boring!

Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I, plus our two teenaged boys stayed here over Spring Break. Great location to walk the beach. Owners are very knowledgeable about where to eat, etc. Breakfasts were excellent. The only issue we had was with using their bikes. We had multiple break downs- flat tires, a pedal falling off, all of course very fair from the Barclay! Once I ended up sitting on the beach with the bikes for a half hour or so while my husband walked back to the Barclay, got our car, and drove back so we could load the bikes in the car and drive back to the bed and breakfast! Other than that it was great.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Shawn H
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Well, this surely was a huge disappointment and we are so sorry that one of our bikes broke down...we do maintain them regularly and replace two of them a year and I guess you were here before we did that, since it was before our "season" that you were here in the spring. Sometimes it is hard to predict things like when a tire will go flat. As for the pedal falling off, that was a real (and unfortunate) surprise. As we mentioned when this occurred, we really wish you had called us so we could have brought you another bike...we have 10 of them so that every guest can use one at the same time. Bike riding is a wonderful thing to do here in Virginia Beach, both along the Boardwalk bike path and through the charming neighborhoods and First Landing State Park's bike paths.

Reviewed 11 November 2011

I just wanted to get away from everything for a couple of days and be close to the beach. Twenty floors of hotel madness just wasn't going to cut it. I needed a bit of peace...to do a bit of writing. To clean the mind. To rock on a wooden porch under the light waft of ceiling fan air knowing that the Atlantic was a short walk away.

Barclay's provided my rescue. I am always delighted to find wonderful people in this world who still are friendly and kind and, above all, interesting. As a writer I am forever absorbing the intricacies of the human character, molding what I find into the reality of my fiction worlds. Hundreds of people passing in the hallways, on the elevators, through the lobbies, and stuffed around pools does not lend much to really feeling human.

At Barclay's I met not only the quite interesting personalities of my keepers, Stephen and Marie-Louise, but also those of the other tenants: the places they called home, the destinations to which they were headed (one couple was on their way to photograph snakes...Cool!), their thoughts about the world we live in. For me, there was a grand variety of experiences that other people shared and I guess I'm just the type of person who likes to listen. Absorb. Make a new friend if not for only a day or two.

I will be back, Stephen and Marie-Louise. You can bet your forest green Barclay coffee cups on it (thank you, by the way).

And just perhaps this time, I will have the Trilogy finished. A copy for you? Oh, yes. And in some way, if not only by inference, you will be in it.

-Peter Galarneau Jr.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Pete G
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thank you for your beautiful review! We are happy that you stayed with us and were able to get the time for writing that you needed. Can't wait to read that new book...do you think we'll recognize ourselves? Can you make us thinner?