“A destination worthy of a novel's plot point setting”

Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I just wanted to get away from everything for a couple of days and be close to the beach. Twenty floors of hotel madness just wasn't going to cut it. I needed a bit of peace...to do a bit of writing. To clean the mind. To rock on a wooden porch under the light waft of ceiling fan air knowing that the Atlantic was a short walk away.

Barclay's provided my rescue. I am always delighted to find wonderful people in this world who still are friendly and kind and, above all, interesting. As a writer I am forever absorbing the intricacies of the human character, molding what I find into the reality of my fiction worlds. Hundreds of people passing in the hallways, on the elevators, through the lobbies, and stuffed around pools does not lend much to really feeling human.

At Barclay's I met not only the quite interesting personalities of my keepers, Stephen and Marie-Louise, but also those of the other tenants: the places they called home, the destinations to which they were headed (one couple was on their way to photograph snakes...Cool!), their thoughts about the world we live in. For me, there was a grand variety of experiences that other people shared and I guess I'm just the type of person who likes to listen. Absorb. Make a new friend if not for only a day or two.

I will be back, Stephen and Marie-Louise. You can bet your forest green Barclay coffee cups on it (thank you, by the way).

And just perhaps this time, I will have the Trilogy finished. A copy for you? Oh, yes. And in some way, if not only by inference, you will be in it.

-Peter Galarneau Jr.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Pete G
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thank you for your beautiful review! We are happy that you stayed with us and were able to get the time for writing that you needed. Can't wait to read that new book...do you think we'll recognize ourselves? Can you make us thinner?

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

This is a must if staying in Virginia beach Virginia. More than just home from home. Great American welcome, exceedingly comfortable. Great breakfast and Stephen and Marie-Louise make you very welcome.
Just yards from the beach, ample parking and every amenity you could wish for.
Barry & Frances Simner September 2011

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Barrington S
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

Thank you for staying here and for posting such a nice review. We are glad to have helped you enjoy your visit to the States. Y'all come back!
Marie-Louise

Reviewed 24 August 2011

We tend to stay at a hotel when we visit the beach, but this time we decided to do something different and stay at a smaller B&B, with a real B&B feel. Friends had told me about the incredible hospitality at The Barclay Cottage and we wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Marie-Louise is an absolute gem. She is truly sweet and cannot do enough for you. She encouraged us to use their bikes, their beach towels, and chairs, and even a cart to haul it all to the beach--all for free! WE LOVED the front porch, but the side screened-in porch was my favorite place to feel the ocean breezes and share a bottle of wine. The bed was so comfortable and piled high with great pillows--with even more in the closet. Somebody here knows how to make sleeping a real pleasure! Although the rooms are not large, they are well designed and plenty big enough and with all the porches, there is no reason to hang out in the room...it is almost like each room has its own private porch, since there are porches on 2 floors, on two sides of the building! the food was wonderful, and the location is perfect, but the reason to stay here is to experience Marie-Louise's wonderful, wrap-her-arms-around-you hospitality. I love this place and will return!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sparkyPhiladelphia
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Oh my. Thank you for your lovely review. Please DO come back so I can wrap my arms around you and welcome you home.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

When my husband and I decided it was time for a beach vacation I came upon the reviews for barclay cottage and found it hard to believe that no one had anything bad to say. Now we know why. Steve and Marie Louise (and miss molly) were wonderful hosts, with helpful suggestions on things to do, quieter beach spots and where to eat dinner. didnt need lunch due to the size and quality of the wonderful breakfasts, although we did hit the dairy queen for some ice cream on occasion for lunch. After the first few days it felt so much like family that I had to restrain myself from clearing the table and starting to wash the dishes. For those of you that like front porches, this one cant be beat, and on wednesdays and sundays you have a great view of the fireworks from the upstairs porch. Provided are back pack beach chairs, towels, umbrellas and bikes, so bring your sunscreen, your cooler and your appetite and enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank kimcht
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and posting wonderful pictures of our place and Virginia Beach. We love knowing that you had a good time and that you wanted others to know about us. Yes, when you can't make room for lunch I know I've done my job!!! :)

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I wanted to leave my review for this wonderful place. My husband and I spent a few days for our honeymoon at the light house room and we were so incredibly impressed. The decor of the room is completely on point and the whole place was just so clean.

I don't know if there is anything more I can say that has not been said before, but let me just start by saying that all of the previous comments are true. Steve and Marie-Louise are wonderful people! They are just so welcoming and the house is impeccable. For me it's the little details that really count and they definitely have lots of little details! The personal photos in the living room and hallway, the paintings, the little notes and framed inspirational messages all over the outside and inside of the house are just so charming.

My husband and I enjoyed breakfast A LOT!!! We even met a really nice couple from Boston who gave us their contact information so we can visit them someday (we definitely need to find time to do that) and every morning was a new set of faces and such wonderful conversation. It was great to talk to couples at the breakfast table who had been married for 40+ years.

We really enjoyed ourselves so very much and we cannot wait to go back. Before booking this BB I read the reviews and I was almost sure I had made the right choice, but as soon as I stepped foot in the house, I knew I had made the right choice. It truly could not have been better and they thought of every detail possible. We would have liked to be able to take Marie-Louise home with us, but I don't think Steve would have allowed us to do that :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ngr711
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Thank you so much for your very kind review. We are flattered that you chose to spend your honeymoon with us. We were so happy to help you start out your new life together as Mr. and Mrs. Well, I hope that Steve would not let me go! But thank you for that sweet thought! We will look forward to your next visit and catching up on what's new. And, yes, you're right about the people who come here...we are so lucky...we now don't really have to go anywhere because so many wonderful people come to us!