“Family Vacation Spot”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Thornhill, Canada
“Family Vacation Spot”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Aside from the high price tag in High Season ($279 a night), the Hotel is ideally located on the Beach. The location is clean and has a minimal bistro available for light meals. The key here is location.
The rooms is adequate but the bed left a lot to be desired. Our shower (no bath) took forever to provide hot water and then got so hot it was hard to adjust.
There are a lot of choices on the Beach and our opinion was that this worked for a family but was not a couples destination.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Therandman
Brittany D, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you highlighting our key location on the oceanfront. Hopefully you will visit us again when the summer is over and the beach is a little more couple-friendly.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Graham, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We decided to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott VB/ South for a mini vacation trip. We drove up the outside was fabulous and clean checked in waited forever for the elevator to come. Then open the door to our room and the 80's carpet was the first thing I saw. The room is spacious but the furniture is outdated and dirty. The ottoman that was in the room was dirty the curtains were dirty and the cabinets that had the refrigerator in it was broke. It was late so I decided it was time to go to bed so I walked over to the bed and the bed skirt had a big stain on it. Then I pulled back the covers on the other bed and the sheets had stains on it I immediately called the front desk and. Requested another room she told me that there were no more rooms available but she could send someone up to apply clean sheets I didn't want to stay but didn't have a choice. Both beds were terrible and the bathroom was in bad shape too my son went to hand a towel and the entire bar fell down. The grout needs to be clean and the shower you can tell where they tried to clean it it has dirt streaks all over. It. The balcony the concrete was and is falling apart around the rails and we were scared to sit out there but the balcony was better than the inside. I expected so much more from the Marriott but I am so disspointed and I want my money back because no way was I happy with my stay. The chlorine smell that came from the pool area was so strong you could smell it in the lobby. Ugh just a horrible experience !

Room Tip: Please be careful what you choose.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Isaboohall
MeredithBottenfield, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your comments. Our hotel just went through a full renovation this winter including all of our rooms which included our carpet, wallpaper, and guest room couches and chairs. We also had a complete transformation of our lobby which now offers our Bistro. We love our new color schemes. They are very beachy and I can understand why you might think they were bright. I certainly apologize for the cleanliness and maintenance concerns you experienced and will address them with our staff. We are also changing our pool chemicals in the fall and will no longer be using chlorine. We are very excited to not have the smell of chlorine that so many people are sensitive too. Thanks again for your feedback,
Northern VA
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week with my husband and two children. We had a suite with 1 King size bed and sofa bed. We checked in a little after 4 with no problem. Upon initial inspection, the suite looked great. There were two tvs, a mini fridge, micrwave, toaster, coffee pot, 1 desk with chair, an accent chair, table with seating for four, sofa with queen bed, king bed, and an a/c units on each end of the suite. Everything was in great shape. The balcony had two chairs and an accent table. There were two telephones. The valet service for the car was good also. If there was a space available on the parking lot, we could use it as long as the tag was visible inside the car. If there were no spaces, a valet would park the vehicle in another location. I had no problem retrieving the car regardless of where it was parked. My only complaint is with the number of towels provided. Every day housekeeping provided us with 2 sets of towels. However, my reservation clearly stated 4 occupants, and extra towels please. So this meant that I called routinely asking for more face towels because my kids are too small to substitute hand towels for their bathing. We spent most of our day and early evening out but at night the suite provided ample room. My husband tried to sleep on the sofabed but declared it too hard. Besides our kids wanted us all together. I did not utilize any of the room service or dining options but the hotel did appear to have a good crowd. Also, the hotels proximity to the beach is excellent, complete with an outside shower and hose for removing sand. It was a great hotel and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, with a corner suite, we were on the 8th. The views for the ocean and firework...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KarenNorthernVA
Brittany D, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate you highlighting all the great amenities of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and will come again. We look forward to your next reservation.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night this week. This rooms were in good shape and the main lobby looked really nice. Everything seemed clean and the staff was nice. We had four people in our room, so had to do the room with double beds. My only complaint about the room would be that it was double beds instead of queens. We did have a great view of the ocean though! I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at our property. We thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Reviewed 4 August 2012

As a frequent business traveler I had advised my wife that the Courtyard by Marriot would be an excellent choice for our vacation. This hotel did not live up to my experiences with other hotels in this chain. When we arrived the room did not have a working air conditioner. My wife, I, and my baby spent hours waiting on the hotel to repair this problem. Eventually we were placed in another room, but the air conditioner in that room was exceptionally loud. Overall the staff seems far more concerned about ensuring that we are signed up for the marriott rewards program than making sure that our actual stay was pleasant and up to standard. I believe that a hotel of this purported quality must at a minimum provide a room that is in good working condition and ready to occupy. I and I'm sure that many other customers that agreed to pay extra to stay at this chain reasonably expect that minimum level of service. The fact that this hotel doesn't get that speaks volumes to me about their concern for customer service.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank pc2001
Thank you for your review. We value our guest feedback. I will definitely speak to my Chief Engineer about your concerns. Providing exceptional service to all guests is our #1 priority. If you would like to share your experience at our hotel, please contact me. Thank you again for writing a review.