“A Dump”

Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“A Dump”
Reviewed 22 April 2008

It looks old and warn-out and it is! The front desks told us the management recently updated and renovated all of the rooms and then showed us glossy pictures of a nice looking hotel room. What a scam! The cheep beds might have been new – they were rock hard. The carpet might also have been new – most of it was stained and damp where the old noisy wall air-conditioning unit had been leaking…mold anyone? The high school group checked in at 10 pm and took up the top two floors and immediately started yelling out of the balconies at their friends on the beach. The rock band with a large base unit started playing at midnight and stopped at around 2:00 am. Hotel maintenance people started making their rounds up and down the hallways at 7:00 with their radios crackling full volume with calls from the front desk “leaking water line under sink in room 224…” And no, the restaurant is not the Howard Johnson you might have remembered from your childhood. Think truck stop dining -without ice cream.

• Stayed April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 26 January 2007

I had the extreme displeasure of staying at this hotel for four nights. I must add that I didn't stay at this hotel by choice. Our group attended a conference at nearby Little Creek and this hotel was the one our boss decided to put us in. Needless to say I was trapped.

The front desk clerk, Rapul, seemed rather disinterested, impersonal and unhelpful during check in. Once I entered my room, I noticed the smoke detector beeped every minute, signaling that the battery was dead. I walked back to the front desk to report this to Rapul, the front desk clerk. His reply was to remove the battery and that they would fix it in the morning.

I tried to remove the battery but the cover wouldn't come off easily and I didn't want to break it. I told Rapul to come look at it. He couldn't remove the battery either and instead, removed the smoke detector from the wall and held on to it. He assured me this would be fixed tomorrow. After 4 nights, it was never replaced. Aren't there laws against this?

Upon check out I reminded Rapul that he had my room's smoke detector and he replied that the maintenance guy was sick all week. Rapul didn't even offer an apology. Just a pitiful excuse to make up for incompetence.

Furthermore, the condition and cleanliness of the room was dismal. On the first night there I noticed pubic hairs on the floor of the bathtub. One of their white towels had a nice long brown stain on it. Disgusting!

At least I had company in my room. Baby cockroaches greeted me every time I used the bathroom.

I asked Rapul if he could add my Continental OnePass frequent flyer account to my records. He had no clue what I was talking about and made no effort to seek clarification or an answer. I may as well have asked for two roundtrip tickets to Pluto.

This hotel was a terrible experience and I could go on for two more pages about it. This property is in bad shape and it is easy to see why: the management doesn't care. The management doesn't care about its guests and it doesn't care about its property. Normally, the guest comes first. That doesn't apply at this property. I would never stay here again.

• Liked — When I left and saw it in my rearview mirror.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank USMC_5702

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

WV
Reviewed 19 October 2006

Recently my husband and I stayed at the Howard Johnson at 5173 Shore Dr., Virginia Beach, VA for three nights due to the death of our brother in-law and attending his funeral, my sister made the arrangements and paid for the rooms, upon our departure the owners of the motel notified her that we had destroyed the mattress by writing on it and my sister had to pay a $50.00 fee for damages that were not done by us.

My husband and I are honest, law abiding citizens and would never destroy anyones property and to be falsely accused of this is the most outrageous thing the owners of this establishment could have done to my sister at her time of grief. My husband and I would most certainly have taken a lie detector test to show our innocense.

I now feel that the bed in the motel had not been changed prior to our stay or this would have been discovered before our entry to the room. I am very disappointed with Howard Johnson motels and do not ever plan to spend another night at any location, nor would I recommend anyone else to stay at one.

James and Linda Easter