“Best bet on Tangier”
Review of Bay View Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tangier Island
Bay View Inn
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I had to go to Tangier for work in Feb 2013. There was no lodging on the island...but a call to Bay View (they were closed) was rewarded with the invitation...they would open for a night! Bay View has new owners. Very friendly. Internet worked. Excellent home-made breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable. Very very quiet. Hurricane Sandy damaged the island heavily including this place so repairs and upgrades are ongoing. The owners will give you an honest answer on what to expect.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank KendallOsborne

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I usually check with several properties and read all the reviews before I book a B & B in an unfamiliar area. I talked with Maureen (one of the owners) and felt so good about the Inn and the island that I did not read reviews nor check for other options. Maureen and Jim are hospitable (and we are from Mississippi - The Hospitality State), well-read, intelligent, interesting folks. David made sure we never had to lift a bag, or walk unless we wanted. The breakfasts were incredible! Our room was cozy and very comfortable. The linens were top quality -- comparable to those used by 5 Star hotels. The island is small, but filled with friendly, hardworking, mostly Christian citizens. We met the mayor and very much enjoyed the SHANTY TOUR. At the Tangier Museum, we met the Artist in Residence and had a wonderful chat. We ate at Lorraine's, which was featured in the July, 2012 issue of Southern Living. The Crabhouse, where you can rent bicycles or golf carts, has dozens of flavors of softserve ice cream. We even had Pumpkin (thanks again, Jim). An additional surprise was the concert given by Elisabeth Von Trapp, the granddaughter of "The Sound of Musc" Von Trapps. If you enjoy variety in your life and appreciate genuine people, you do not want to miss Tangier. If you go to Tangier, the place to stay is THE BAYVIEW INN. We travel almost monthly. We have been from California to Nova Scotia, from Seattle to Key West, New Orleans to Mackinac Island, from Alaska to Mexico, from Hawaii to the West Indies, Southeast Asian, and Europe. This trip ranks among the best memories ever! GO TO TANGIER and reclaim you sanity.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank nomosser
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Everything on Tangier Island is on the pricey side. Do not expect luxurious accomodations any where on the island. However, the island is composed of salt of the earth folk who are largely patriotic, unashamedly Christian, and friendly.
At the Bay View Inn, we stayed in room 6. The window air conditioner was a noisy window unit. I didn't mind that because it was like a white noise background to sleep by. The shower/bathroom was tiny and the decor was dated. There was a working refrigerator, microwave, and dish TV in the room. The room was very clean. The owners, Jim and Maureen, are delightful people. They did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable. Breakfast was outstanding and we were encouraged to eat all we wanted. We were served homemade blueberry muffins with fresh blueberries, crisp bacon, fruit, french toast, eggs to order juice and coffee. Jim personally goes to the mainland to pick out the freshest food and is picky about what he serves his guest.
Jim and Maureen took over the inn a little less than a year ago. They have worked hard to make improvements.
I enjoyed the gliders and swings on the grounds. They were in the shade and delightful places to sit and take in the views. There are also raised viewing areas with seating to enjoy a bay view. The grounds are well maintained. The inn sits on the back end of the island. I liked that because it wasn't crowded with tourists and turned out to be a peaceful spot. I would definitely go back there again. I admire the owners and their aim to please. Yes, it is pricey, but I didn't mind supporting a mom and pop business who were like home folk.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank urlookingood
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Whenever I feel stress building up, I call my friend up to tell her I need my "Tangier Island Anti-stress Pill." The "pill" is a trip to picturesque Tangier Island and to a most welcoming inn, the Bay View Inn on Tangier.

My friend and I just came back from our third trip to the Bay View Inn. The hosts are just about the nicest and most accommodating people you could meet. They will happily pick you up and drop you off at the ferry landing. Their checkout is at 11:00, but my friend and I like to walk or bike around until the ferry comes in the afternoon, so our hosts kindly bring our luggage to us and drop it off at the ferry dock before it leaves! They make a hearty breakfast and have ample supplies of good strong coffee. They will even make seconds for you if you - like us - have worked up an appetite from exploring the island the day before!

This is not a fancy place. The rooms are simple and very low-key to match the atmosphere of the island. There is no TV, and normally no cell or internet comnection, as is the case for most of the island. The beauty of Tangier Island is it's simplicity. It truly is a place where my friend and I can leave it all behind. There are no airs here. Dress code throughout the island is casual. The two places that have dinner close at 6:00 pm, I believe. Both have simple, but good fare. It is a small island. You can walk or bike anywhere, or take a go-cart if you like (adults and teenagers alike get a real kick out this). As you amble about and talk with folks you will hear the islanders unique accent, but you will hear it most when they talk to each other.

In our opinion, the prize possession of this place - and I hesitate to write this down here for fear of spoiling it - is the beach. I have been to many parts of the world known for its beaches, and I have to say, this is the prettiest one I have ever seen. There are two reasons for this. One, there are no houses or buildings here, and there never will be, because whole area is unbuildable. The second is that is LONG! We like to walk, and you can walk a good two to three miles one way on this beach until you reach the spit that is underwater at most tides. If you choose to wade along the rest of it until you can walk no more, you will run into the large colony of pelicans that live there and who will happily move off it while you visit.

Other attractions on the island? The water here is super clear for the Chesapeake. You can see through the little waves as they crest. Sunsets are unparalleled! They have a cool museum on the island. And they have lots of aquatic wildlife. We have seen snakes, crabs (this last trip we saw them fighting each other underwater), rockfish, and beautiful sea and marsh birds of many types. Note: bring bug spray or buy on the island for the "insect" birds, especially if there won't be a breeze!

So, if you like simplicity, you enjoy exploring, and you are looking for someplace just a little place different, then Tangier Island and the Bayview Inn will be right up your alley!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank BeachnikAtHeart
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The family who owns the property is very friendly and helpful. However, i would ot recommend staying more than one light due to the lack of activities on the island.

One issue:The description of the hotel and island I was given by the owner was a bit misleading and exaggerated. The rooms could not be considered to be "cabins" (like the owner indicated) by any stretch of the imagination to be cabins. They are small and tackily (to my taste) decorated rooms in a long connected string somewhat reminiscent of a strip motel. The beaches were described (correctly) as picturesque, but the owner failed to mention the plagues of horse flies that inhabit them. Also, not sure why this was, but the water smells horridly and feels like oil, making showering and brushing your teeth a more difficult task than it should ever be. All in all, I wish the owner hadn't been so in love with the place, because I did leave wondering whether he was being disingenuous or just really wanted it to be perfect to the point of not seeing defects.

The Bay View Inn is mostly, if not totally, limited by the limits of Tangier Island. Food selection is poor and overpriced. I was there at the height of crab season and struggled to get good, fresh crab. The prices were high, at least in part because it is difficult and expensive to transport goods from the mainland. But 10.99 for one soft shelled crab between two pieces of wonder bread? Overall, it's ok for a one night stay. A canoing trip is great, especially if you are in to bird watching (you'll still be amazed by the diversity of fauna even if not) Rent a bike and see the entire island in (no joke) about 30 minutes.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank A C

Been to Bay View Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK