“Fire Alarms”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
San Diego
“Fire Alarms”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel has a SERIOUS PROBLEM with FIRE ALARMS. For two nights in a row their fire alarm went off. One day at 3am and the very NEXT day at 7:30am. The alarm is so loud you HAVE to hurriedly get dressed, grab your most valuable possessions (especially your room key so you can get back in) and leave the building to seek refuge in your car. A fire truck was dispatched but soon left both times because of the false alarms. Also, we found that this hotel does NOT have daily or even every other day maid service… we can only estimate it's got once per week maid service. Oh, and on top of all that, while they do have wi-fi internet, it SUCKS. Their wi-fi can let you get on a few web pages, but then it drops off so you can't use it consistently. Because of these extreme annoyances, we will NOT be staying at this hotel again, EVER.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brad P
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
I'd like to apologize that you didn't have a good experience with us Brad P. Please know that it is not normal for our hotel to get fire alarms. It is unfortunate that you had to experience it twice while you were with us. How I wish we have control over them.

As an extended stay hotel, our maid service is done weekly. But we can always provide fresh towels/linens, soap, shampoo, etc. to our guests when needed. As for our wifi service, please be assured that it has a good speed great for web-browsing and checking email.

I hope you will give us another chance to prove to you that we have a great hotel. All of us at Suburban Sterling is committed to making sure everything goes well during your stay. Please allow us to resolve any of your issues next time you are with us. We are here to be at your service all the time.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The property is very well maintained, and an important access is the front desk staff, especially Carla, who demonstrates the attitude of helpfulness that it takes to enable guests to approach the staff with issues that arise at any hotel. It's important to note that housekeeping is done weekly, which is ideal, and routine maintenance is done concurrent with this. If a towel is missing, the front desk can take care of it and also provide helpful information about how to navigate the extensive stores and other facilities available in the area.

Room Tip: Know your needs, whether for a king or two double beds.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Thank you Robert F for your recommendation of our hotel on Tripadvisor. It is such a delight to know that you had a pleasant stay with us. We try our best to keep our hotel nice and clean and I appreciate that you have noticed our efforts. I'll make sure the staff, especially Carla, gets to read your review.
We hope you will continue to let us serve you in the future. Thank you for staying at Suburban Extended Stay Sterling!
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was so glad to see the smile on Glenn's face when I walked in, and the fact that he could remember who I was since last year when I last visited, made all the difference for me. The room was big, comfortable and had all the amenities I needed. Glenn made sure I had everything I needed, and when ever I walked by the desk, he would ask about my well being. There are lots of places, such as restaurants, fast food, stores, that are within walk-able distances around the hotel. I did enjoy my stay, and I hope to continue enjoying my stay whenever I visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
I appreciate your review NancyQueen! I am delighted to know that Glenn made a lasting impression on you during your stay. Im sure he'll be happy to know that you mentioned him on your review. Our team is dedicated into ensuring that each guest feels comfortable and happy while staying with us. I am glad that we have accomplished that goal. Thank you for your continued patronage. We are looking forward to your next visit with us.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is a relatively inexpensive extended stay hotel, very nearly a furnished efficiency apartment building, and should be considered in that light. It comes with the territory that there are working-class people literally living here, that's kind of the whole idea, but I've encountered no one who deserves to be called sleazy (snobs might want to go elsewhere). I've been here nearly three months, am quite satisfied, and will most likely stay two or three more months (depending on my job situation). But I'd probably go elsewhere for an overnight or weekend stay.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, but of course cannot offer the amenities of a full service hotel. Special mention to Reggie and Glenn, the two I've mostly had the pleasure to deal with. The place is quiet and kept very clean. The bed is comfortable, fitted with top and bottom sheets, a light blanket and a bedspread, and made up weekly, as advertised. Parking sometimes gets a little tight early in the week, but there are always spots available.

Walmart is literally right next door, so I just walk over if I need a few things. Otherwise, Wegman's offers a first-class yet economical grocery shopping experience less than two miles down the road. There's a major mall about half a mile up the road, with all the usual outlying stores (Best Buy, etc) in between.

The closest I can come to a complaint is that the free internet is rather slow (although I am able to watch streaming TV shows with few buffering pauses), plus you have to log into it daily. Stiff extra charge ($5/day, $20/week, $60/month) only claims to be 1.5 MB--although I suspect it might be more, I'm too cheap to try it out!

Room Tip: Rooms with two beds have larger refrigerator with freezer compartment, plus a tub/shower (but cost m...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you Joel B for sharing your experience with our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad we are able to give you great service for your extended stay. We are aware that we cannot provide everything that a full service hotel can offer, but I am happy to say that we make up for it by providing an excellent guest service that is hard to find elsewhere. We also do not charge you an arm and a leg for your stay. We hope you'll continue to stay with us and let us serve you while you are in the area. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable.
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I am staying here "between houses" so brought most everything I need with me. Room is sufficient for me and my little dog. Convenient location. Don't care for sleazy characters who evidently live here and hang around lobby/front door. Asked that dog poo receptacles be emptied 3 times to no avail.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family