“Best food in the area ”

Ubon Thai Victorian Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 146 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

I LOVE this place! We just went in for the first time and I was so impressed with Ubon and her amazing food. This is the most authentic Thai I've ever had in the US or abroad. And I have traveled a lot. We already have plans to go back next week. Everything is made from scratch and just to die for.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Taylor W

Reviewed 26 December 2016

Two friends and I (we all live alone) decided to go here on Christmas Day as it was one of the few places open. The food was reasonably good and the price for the "special". Christmas buffet was only $15. The small selection on the buffet was mostly "starches": There was turkey, two kinds of potatoes and no vegetables except for a tossed salad. What was an excellent dish of "candied" yams was labeled carrots and was identified by the server as carrots. Asked about a Thai noodle dish on the buffet the waiter replied that he "did not know what it was called, but it was good" (which it was).When we asked about dessert we were not given a choice; however, the owner brought us a single very large serving (with three spoons) of a "pie like" item, with only the explanation that it was a "Thai dessert" (which was good). Ubon, the owner, and the young waiter were both very nice. We were the only customers in the restaurant from 6:00 to 7:30.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 3 November 2016

Some of the best Thai food I've ever eaten. Simple menu, fresh ingredients, great quality, and friendly staff. One of the best meals we had in Staunton! Ubon was so sweet; even giving us suggestions on how to eat dishes and which spices to add. So accommodating! And a nice walk to the restaurant through a lovely old neighborhood is highly recommended!

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 25 September 2016

Ubon is a sweetheart and greeted us like we were family. She cooked the food herself, made us a fresh pot of coffee and chatted with us a while. The food is fresh and delicious. I had my first experience of a traditional Thai breakfast. I am vegan, and she made it full of fresh veggies and tofu with no fish sauce. It was excellent!

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

I really enjoyed the green curry I had there this evening. The chicken satay app was fine also but the peanut sauce seemed a little lacking (there's a place in Highland Park, NJ that has spoiled me with their peanut sauce, worth a 7hr trip just to lick the dish type good). The sticky rice and mango was fantastic.

The atmosphere was what really made me enjoy the meal. The renovated house is so unique in its design, the walk from the back parking lot to the entrance for some reason reminded me of my visit to a Thai resorts several years ago (I'm not sure what it is though). And with Ubon (the owner I understand) this restaurant has really made me feel like this is a must visit location in the Staunton area.

Date of visit: July 2016