“a little nugget of gold, hidden away”

Sharp Rock Vineyards
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Sperryville
Reviewed 21 October 2011

we accidentally found this winery and went in for a tasting...WOW. Every wine the owner himself was pouring (and he is the winemaker, too) was delicious. We only bought two of each, since we had a full car already. You cannot buy it anywhere but at the winery. They have also two buildings to stay in as a B&B, and evidently there was a wedding there the night before we discovered it....Really charming...on the way to the entrance for hiking "Old rag"....do try it.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

My wife and I stopped at the Sharp Rock Vineyards on our way home from North Carolina. We picked Sharp Rock because it was small, inexpensive and picturesque, but more importanly, they had wine dogs (yes, we're dog lovers). We arrived and there was little going on outdoors on this hot day, so we stepped inside the winery to have a look around.

The winery is a barn, so don't miss it if you go. This is not a large winery with a full wine store and shelves of wine and accessories. It is a simple, unassuming place with a friendly owner and just a few good quality wines for tasting and purchase. The tasting was $3 per person offering a sample of the 7 wines currently available. They ranged from tart and dry to robust and sweet. What I liked most about their wines, whether dry or sweet, was the balance of flavors. The dry wines carried a nice balance of a slightly sweet finish, and the sweet wines were not overpoweringly sweet. You will experience various different grapes and fruit/spice combinations as well as variations on specific grapes. It is casual and pleasant, and the wines are worth bringing home. Also note that there is a bed and breakfast on premises, but we did not stay there as we were just passing through.

I couldn't finish this review without commenting on the fuzzy guy that met us on the way out. A big bushy Bernese mountain dog came bouncing up to us, assuming we were there to see him. He was pleased to find out we were. I'm not sure what his name was, but he and his several "wine dog" buddies are a good reason to go all by themselves. This was a nice quick stopover on our way home, and I'd recommend Sharp Rock for both wine lovers and dog lovers.

2  Thank exterior_corridors
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I enjoyed my stay at Sharp Rock - the wines were the best I've had from not only VA but compares to those of Napa that I've visited! The cottage was rustic and quiet. My husband and I would sit on the deck and drink wine and enjoy the night sky. Although it's a nice setting, it's a little more expensive than what I was getting from it. Just my viewpoint. I see other very positive reviews so I'm not going to be a big black cloud. But I felt that I have gotten a peaceful experience staying at the nice cabins of Skyland (Shenandoah Nat'l Park) for half the price. -- Yes I know, it's not a vineyard and the dogs are totally cute, but for $200 a night I was expecting more of a luxury feel. Maybe that's my fault.

3  Thank floratheexplora
Reviewed 17 June 2010

My husband and I visited Sharp Rock as part of our last wine tour in Feb of 2010. There was feet upon feet of snow/ice everywhere (it was around Valentine's day) and the roads were treacherous (thank goodness for 4 wheel drive or we wouldn't have made it up to their beautiful winery). Though we did not stay at the B&B, we did stop by for a wine tasting. We weren't aware of the time, but we had arrived about 3 minutes before their "tasting" hours were over. Jimm happily greeted us and took us upstairs to the tasting room. We were the only ones there (maybe that's why it felt like we got the royal treatment). Our tasting took about 30 mins because we talked so much with Jimm. At some point I mentioned how much I love Cabernet Franc, and he mentioned that his 2008 Cab Franc was almost ready for bottling and would be available in about May of this year. We loved the wines we tasted and bought one bottle of each (that's the only time in about 40 wineries that we've bought one of everything). As we were walking back down the stairs to exit, Jimm asked if we'd like to taste the Cab Franc that was still fermenting in the oak barrel. Of course, I gasped and asked if he was serious. I was so excited! He opend up the barrel and drew some out into a glass for us. The taste was incredible! I've never been given an opportunity like that before and Jimm honestly made us feel very special. Since then (and since the Cab Franc was bottled) we've ordered nearly 20 more bottles of wine through him, with great service every time. We go through that 2008 Cab Franc very quickly, but we also like all their other wines too. Definitely the best winery we've been to in VA.

1  Thank wareagle03
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We spent part of our honeymoon at Sharp Rock and had a wonderful time. This winery and B&B located next to Shenendoah National Park and at the foot of Old Rag Mountain was a great place to stay. We spent the mornings drinking coffee and eating fresh baked muffins on our private deck next to the Hughes River, the afternoons exploring the park (a must do for hikers is Old Rag Mountain, the trailhead is right down the road), and the evenings drinking great wine that's made right next door. The winery is located in pastoral Rappahannock county about ten minutes from downtown Sperryville which has a great cafe, pizza place and gourmet restaurant. The great hospitality along with the company of a few of the sweetest dogs around combined to make this vacation one we won't forget, we'll definitely be back.