“Reminded me of my Grandmother's home”

Oak Grove Plantation Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 South Boston B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 July 2010

What a delightful weekend and soooo relaxing. Miss Pickett knows how to welcome her guests and make them feel like part of the family and so does Bonnie, her dog. I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 August 2009

Our book club looks forward to its annual retreat at the Oak Grove Plantation. After a sumptuous breakfast -- the lemon pancakes are to die for -- we settle on the antebellum porch to debate the latest book and plan the following year's selections. In between there is croquet on the lawn, bottomless pitchers of lemonade and iced tea, lounging near a blanket of wild flowers, and long walks in the woods. I spent two restful nights in a beautiful canopy bed surrounded by mementos of the past. There are two gourmet restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2009

To say the house is charming is an understatement. We love old houses and this is more than that... This house has been lived in for 5 generations by the same family. I just love that stuff. The owner was pleasant and laid back. She took us on hikes and allowed our children to run naked in the front yard with the kiddie pool (the naked one is 2.5yo). It was very relaxing. The bedrooms were spacious but cozy at the same time. Our children slept on an air mattress on the floor in their own room and we had a double bed canopy in ours - we had the whole upstairs. It was beautiful. I want to go back! And the breakfast, worth the trip!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank kwbstr
A TripAdvisor Member
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 6 September 2005

For anyone who needs or wants to get away from news of war in Iraq or other daily assaults, Oak Grove Plantation in Cluster Springs, Virginia is a wonderful place for escape. In mid-August, I had the pleasure of spending a weekend saturated in history palpable from the first approach. The wonderful peace and quiet were interrupted only by Tara, the resident Dalmatian who barked a welcome. Pickett, the Innkeeper, greeted me with the genteel hospitality that bespeaks the old south.

I've known Mary Pickett Craddock all of my life and have had the privilege of going to Oak Grove for years. I never tire of wandering through the antebellum house filled with portraits of her ancestors, period pieces of furniture, and memorabilia that tells the story of her family through many generations. This beautiful old house has been in Pickett's family since it was built, and she shares her great love and pride for it with her guests.

Oak Grove Plantation offers you a place to read, play games, take a walk on the vast estate, or just sit and relax on the comforable porches with a glass of iced tea or lemonade. The surrounding countryside is filled with places to explore, including other plantations, historic sites, antique shops, lakes, museums, golf courses, and so much more.

Our meals were served in elegant fashion in the gorgeous old dining room. At one time, Pickett ran a catering service and her cooking skills are obvious when you taste her fare. Our breakfast included her famous Cluster Springs egg puff, homemade biscuits, fresh orange juice, fruit (locally grown), coffee and tea.

I stayed in the beautiful Blue Room with its canopy bed and comfortable sitting area. The comfort of the double bed, the country air, and sounds of cicadas and frogs lulled me into some of the best sleep I've had in a long while. When time came to leave, I did so with great reluctance, but I felt rested and revitalized.

I recommend a visit to Oak Grove Plantation: a step back in time, serene country living, fine cuisine, and warm hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Stafford, VA
Reviewed 25 August 2005

My weekend at Oak Grove was billed as a "woman's retreat". And it was. I met some very nice people and will go back as often as I can. I came away less stressed and ready to tackle my busy life. Pickett, the owner, started me out with some slow stretches and a Reiki session. The next day after breakfast, I ventured out with a packed lunch of a rice salad, ice tea, fruit and cookies. That evening, I dined at a local restaurant and was treated like a queen! And the food was fantastic. Sunday, after breakfast Pickett drove me to another B and B, and I met Linda. Linda gave me a full body massage and ministered to me at the same time. It was a very satisfying experience. This was the first time I was able to connect with the owner as a friend. I will go back!

Stayed: August 2005