“Grand Hotel for a step back into time!!”

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Smyrna
“Grand Hotel for a step back into time!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is a historic hotel and on a grand scale! It is like staying inside the Titanic when it was pushing off to sail. The woodwork is beautiful, the asthetics of all the design and furnishings will not disappoint you. My husband and I had a corner room with open windows on both sides...a suite....and it was sweet! We had dinner on the balcony and the weather was balmy and breezy. Appetizers and wine before dinner and just walking around the property is fun to do afterwards.The staff and managers are very professional and kind. I will stay at this property again....it was such a treat! Make sure you go to the downtown area as well and tour the marketplaces.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and very sunny...terrific views!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear cheekegirl, thank you for your review of the hotel. You description of our hotel was simply lovely and we appreciate the kind words. We will share your review with our staff and certainly look forward to your return visit.

Gary Walton
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Roanoke this past week while sitting for a two day exam. It was by far the best hotel experience I have ever had. From the time I made my reservations until my departure, the staff went out of their way to anticipate my needs by providing an incredible room and excellent food all within a beautiful setting, enabling me to be able to concentrate on my exam. I want to give special mention of Suzanne, who works at the hotel's front desk. Suzanne is dedicated to providing guests with the most gracious welcome and was a trusted "point-person" throughout my stay. This grand hotel offers all the ambiance of yesteryear with the luxuries of today. I look forward to returning to this luxury hotel, which exceeded all my expectations!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear KSCLiberty, thank you for your review of the hotel and choosing us for your accommodations. We understand how intense the exams can be and I am thrilled to read your stay didn't impact the stress of that time in any way. We will share your review with Suzanne and our entire staff. I hope if you find yourself in the Roanoke Valley in the future, you will stay with us again.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

After the initial heartburn of checking into a dirty room with loud neighbors, we called the manager and he really delivered with a very nice quiet and clean room. This can be a noisy hotel, but request a room near the service elevator (I know it sounds weird) to avoid the door slamming of nearby neighbors. We had no other rooms immediately around us, and it worked.

The hotel offers PURE allergy-free rooms. We booked one and it was no more than a free standing room air purifier and ionizer, and lots of air freshener. The bathroom had not been cleaned--hair in the tub, soap residue, and mold in the grout. Sad. Nice concept, poor execution. Save your money. The standard room we ended up in was cleaner.

I applaud the manager for relocating us so promptly, but I would have prefered the clean, quiet room I requested upon booking.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear HumminAlong, thank you for your review of the hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience experienced as these are not at all acceptable by our standards of service. I am relieved to learn that there was resolution to your issues. I do hope you will consider staying with us if you find yourself back in the Roanoke Valley and give us another opportunity to show you our southern hospitality.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I have read a number of reviews touting this hotel as "the best place to stay in Roanoke." This may be regrettably so. I have serious doubts regarding some of the reviewers who consider this to be one of the nicest hotels they have ever stayed at. It is a place full of style that seriously lacks in substance.

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Roanoke while I took the Bar Exam at the Civic Center. During check-in, one of the managers made it apparent that the hotel was full and that it was "always full during the bar exam."

On the first day of the bar exam, my room service breakfast was 30 minutes late in being delivered. As I began to stress about being late for the exam, I called both the front desk and room service, inquiring about the status of the breakfast. Everyone assured me that "it was coming." When it arrived, it was piping hot - an indication that it had JUST been made. I was very unreceptive to the front desk's excuses that the hotel was "just so busy today." Doesn't the bar exam happen every year? Wasn't I assured that the hotel is always full during the bar exam? Does this hotel just pretend that it is another sleepy day in Roanoke and expect to pass off the excuse that "it's just so busy today" when people are relying on tight schedules in high stress situations? Pathetic.

After the first day of the bar exam we returned to the hotel to dine at "The Regency Dining Room," the hotel's supposedly fancy restaurant. The restaurant had the same qualities as the hotel - all form, no substance. A well dressed Maître d' showed us to our table with unnecessary grandeur. It was laughable. The server was kind but brusque. She slammed down the dishes and ran off without saying "enjoy." The salad contained bagged lettuce. Our food didn't arrive for an hour. When it did arrive, the steaks were overcooked and of poor quality. When we complained to the server, she informed us that "there was a big party" in the private room. If this hotel is unable to handle both a private party, then it shouldn't be serving guests in the main dining room. Again, pathetic.

The room was pretty and well apportioned. The bed was comfortable. Those were the only things we liked about the room.

The noise level in the hotel was astounding. The AC would cycle every 5 minutes and was incredibly loud. I woke up numerous times at night just because the AC was turning on and off. Even after putting in ear plugs the noise was still able to keep me from sleeping soundly. Additionally, the doors were paper thin and impossible to close quietly without some effort. As a result, guests would slam the doors without really intending to slam them. The children in the room across the hall were so loud we could hear them in our room as if they were in the room with us. Mind you, this was through both of our closed doors!

One day, room service didn't come until 4pm. Enough said in that regard.

The one bright spot in this entire hotel was the valet/bell staff. This 3-star hotel (I know they call themselves a 4-star) had the valet/bell staff of a 5-star hotel. Perhaps it was just me being so excited to be leaving the hotel grounds each morning, so I was excited to get my car, but I really think those guys did their jobs. My only complaint regarding the valet staff is that they would run through the hotel after parking the cars. This was unprofessional and dangerous. As I had the bar exam on my mind, all i could think was : liability. These valet staff were running full speed through the hotel to retrieve cars, etc. and would come tearing around corners. That is not the atmosphere of a 4-star hotel. Maybe a 3-star hotel...

I really hope I passed the bar exam. But, if I didn't, and I have to come back to Roanoke, I'm definitely not staying in this hotel again. The absolutely gorgeous building is simply lipstick on a pig.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Edward C
Dear Edward C, thank you for your review of the hotel. We understand the pressure experienced by all participants of the Bar Exam and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. While the hotel is operating at capacity during this time, it is no excuse for the issues presented and unacceptable by our standards of operations. I will be sharing your review with our staff and have corrective measures put in place. I wish you great success on our exam results and good fortunes for your future.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Wonderful location and history attached to this hotel. It's convenient to downtown Roanoke (an easy walk across the bridge to restaurants, the Transportation Museum and the art museum.) It's a quick walk across the street to the O. Winston Link museum. Requested another set of towels and housekeeping brought up another set within a reasonable amount of time and presented them with a friendly smile. The bathtub was slow to drain, but not a surprise with old plumbing. We stayed at the same hotel about a decade ago and were in a very tiny room. This time our room was the size of a normal hotel room and, while it looked out on a rooftop, it had a large window ledge that our kids enjoyed sitting in to read and look out at the mountains. We were hoping to walk across the street to one of the bakeries and get breakfast in the morning but realized that everything is closed on Sunday morning. If you don't want to eat in the hotel, you'll need to take your car out and find something else (we weren't charged more than the $7 parking fee even though we moved our car out and back into the parking lot that morning.) Overall, a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear AreWeThereYet1973, thank you for your review of the hotel and staying at our historic property. I'm glad you had a chance to experience the wonderful things happening in the downtown area and hope you will be back to visit again soon.

Safe Travels,