“Excellent Current Exhibits”

Taubman Museum of Art
Ranked #11 of 75 things to do in Roanoke
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We were drawn in by current special exhibition Play: Toys Re-imagined as Art from a recent mailer, inspiring us to even reactivate our family membership to the museum. We guessed we'd require repeat visits to Play with our kids, ages 8 and 4, and that we'd enjoy some more weekend afternoons in Art Venture, the wonderful kids' art makerspace area associated with the museum. We made a good investment! About one week later, we've been to Play with the kids, to a special Clue game event evening with one kid, and to Art Venture with both kids. As an adult, I especially enjoyed the ornate rug made of dirt in the current Tangled exhibit. The kids found the balloon sculpture and the clouds of Play most fascinating. Our 8-year-old particularly appreciated the amount of Legos available in Art Venture currently. Look at website for pricing info. Convenient to a variety of downtown Roanoke restaurants. Exhibits change often, and displays often feature truly interesting contemporary art with a gallery or two also featuring classic pieces.

PatWTMA, Guest Relations Manager at Taubman Museum of Art, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Thanks to you and your family for sharing your time to come and PLAY with us! We appreciate your comments and hope that you will visit soon and often. Please check out our website calendar for info on coming events!

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"handbag"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

The museum is housed in a striking building, reminding one of Gehry's architecture (but not by him). Inside are very good museum spaces filled wth modern/contemporary art, mostly in special temporary exhibits. The museum has free admission, only charges for one special exhibition. We saw 'Play', definitely worthwhile. It may be that we underestimated Roanoke, but we did not expect the array of surprising and stimulating art exhibits. Worth a detour!

Reviewed 7 September 2017

This is a nice museum. Only 1 floor but with beautiful work. I really like dropping in since it is totally FREE. The collection is nice, but the exhibits rotate all the time and bring in interesting work.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

This was my second visit to this museum. I was there in June and I was equally impressed with the exhibits as I was then. It is a beautiful facility and FREE!!! But please give a donation:-)

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 August 2017

I had been once before and was unimpressed! However, I had since that since admission is now free and we were just down the street so thought it would be nice to take a look around. I am sure glad we did as I enjoyed this visit much more. This is much more a modern art museum which normally I am not as much of a fan but I enjoyed the exhibits this time around!

I also wanted to note that the lady at the front desk reception was very sweet, informative and helpful!

PatWTMA, Guest Relations Manager at Taubman Museum of Art, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us! Visit again soon as the exhibitions are always changing so check our website for details!

Been to Taubman Museum of Art? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK