All reviews elephant walk front desk fridge and microwave nice hotel the hotel staff buffet breakfast the blue ridge parkway beds were comfortable shuttle service outdoor pool checking in room was large coffee maker nice stay king bed rohan convention
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Nice hotel with good amenities, not enough help in bar and restaurant if busy. Helpful staff and friendly, hotel is very clean and location is easy to get to off highway. Convienent to local shopping and restaurants.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2018

First of all, I was very comfortable at the hotel. I asked for a "good room" and the clerk put us on the end room on the 5th floor; room 527. The bed was very comfortable and clean and it was very quiet, which is on the top of my list of things I want in a hotel. That male clerk was friendly and accomidating. There are issues that I think need addressed though. The stopper to the tub was laying out of it when we got there, with nasty hair on it. We tried to put it back but realized why it was like that. It will not come out. We had to use tools to get it back out and then had to stare at hair everytime we were in there. Yeck. I found out the bathroom sink is the same. If you put the stopper in, it will not come out. My husband reached underneath the sink to get it unstopped. Shower was great though - lots of water pressure - just takes awhile to heat but when it gets there it is perfect. Another thing I think that needs attention is the outlet. I didn't inspect other outlets but this one is in view and obviously damaged and I would be afraid of a fire hazard. Speaking of outlets, the room is pretty dark. There is a lamp by the coffee pot but no outlet to plug it in, so it is useless, and it is very dark in that corner. The freezer needs defrosting. We had a Red Bull bust and turned all the ice red. I tried to clean it by pouring water onto the ice but there was so much ice build up that I had to leave it. Another problem I had was on the second morning of out 3 night stay, we walked out to go to lunch. I forgot my purse and turned right back in to go in but could not get in. I tried to ask the housekeeper but she doesn't speak a lick of English. I had to go down to the desk to find out that the keys were only programmed for 2 nights. The lady did not apologize, just "fixed it" She just said "oh. I can fix that" and handed them back to me. It wasn't until I asked "what was wrong?" that she said "they were accidentally programmed for only 2 nights but they are good now" A little "I apologize for your inconvenience" would have gone a long way. Another complaint is that there is Direct TV in the room but no Direct TV remote, so if you are on the channel guide, you have to watch it scroll through everything and then manually put in the channel. Manually putting the channel in is not hard, but not being able to scroll through pages of the guide was a little annoying. I figured they were all like that but when I went to my Aunt's room. I saw she had a Direct TV remote, but that was on the last morning when we were leaving. I went it to say good-bye.
I have added photos to show some of these problems. The electrical outlet is a real concern because it could be dangerous.
I did not complain of these things at the time because I did not want to switch rooms. I am sure Holiday Inn would have gladly offered to have me change rooms, but I liked the location where I was and it was quiet, which, as I said, is a big deal to me. It is probably the quietest I have ever stayed. I didn't realize there was people next door until we saw them leave, and then heard housekeeping. They weren't as quiet as the guest.
So overall I was happy with my stay, but there were quite a few incidents and repair issues that keep me from giving this a 5 star rating.

Date of stay: October 2018
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Cindy R,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is great to know that you appreciated our staff, bed, and shower.

I was concerned to see that you were not fully impressed with our property particularly with the outlets, lighting, and fridge in the room. We always aim to provide an exceptional stay for all of our guests that is why I regret to see that you did not have a great experience. I am sorry for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay. Your comments will be shared with our management team for improvements needed.

We value you as our guest and hope to get another chance to give you a more pleasurable stay should you be in the area again.

Thanks,

Christian C.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed one night. We always hate to discover there is no free breakfast. It was a nice quiet place to stay overnight. There was a bus group there, but we were still satisfied with the service. Wonderful and helpful front desk clerk's.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I were traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway and choose this hotel cause they are pet friendly. The “pet friendly rooms” are down a nasty hall into a partially clean room. AC didn’t cool. Room had previous owners trash still laying around. Lights in entry didn’t work. It was generally old, rundown and rough looking. But what created a real problem for me was phone system was out throughout hotel and I had a medical emergency, so had to call 911 FROM MY CELL which is out of state so the call had to be rerouted creating a delay. No one from security or office personnel came from to check on the screaming from our room (me=night horror screaming) or the fact that an ambulance was at their facility! Pro - beds were clean but HIGH off floor so a long way down when I fell. And when I checked out the only response i got was the need to fill out an incident report. My recommendation - STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. On the up side Roanoke County Paramedics and RMH ER are the very best!!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Hello Nubbin13,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am sorry to learn about your unpleasant experience due to the room received and phone line being down. Your comments have been shared with the hotel management as reference to improve the services offered. I trust that measures taken will avoid the same issues from reoccurring in the future. I have also sent you a private message regarding your experience.

I hope you give us another try!

Best Regards,

Clayton G.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Checked in with Prepaid room thru HolidayInn.com. Yet the staff charged me again and insisted. Over 2 hours of explanation and proof of emails from then, they dared to cut the conversation on the face.

Date of stay: August 2018