“Better Than Expected”

James Madison Museum
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Orange
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A presidential and cultural museum that features the Presidents Room, Black History Exhibit Room, a small gallery and a Temporary Exhibit Room. In the Presidents Room you will enjoy artifacts of Madison, Jefferson, Monroe and Z. Taylor. The Black History Room has 3 themes (Forgotten Patriots, Atlantic Slave Trade and Post-Emancipation). The biggest surprise for nearly every visitor is the large Hall of Agriculture and Transportation. In this large wing sits a 1730's house originally built for Gov. Alexander Spotswood for a tenant farm in Orange; a 1924 Model T and horse-drawn conveyances as well as a myriad of farm implements and items used during pre-mechanized farm life. Groups are welcome.
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I was expecting more of a local history museum with a few presidential items if that. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this museum. The lady who runs it has put in a tremendous amount of time and effort to give you an excellent time for your $5.50. The first room is a special exhibit on WWI and WWII which had some very interesting artifacts. The next room is about slavery in the area as well as the Georgia slaves. I really liked the section about the Negro Soldiers and how they fought for freedom during the Revolutionary War. The next room is the portrait gallery, though more like a small hallway where the walls are the exhibits with documents and pictures. The shed area (not sure how to describe it) is home to a house. A full 16' by 16' cabin that was a tenant house on a plantation. The rest of the shed has farm implements and vechiles of different types. The last room is the presidential room with lots of items from Madison, a few from Taylor (including his bed from the White House, his field desks grandfather clock and a chair) and a single item from 4 other Virginian presidents (Washington included). It was a great museum and a nice follow up to Montpelier.

James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and photographs. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that you felt it was better than you'd anticipated. I hope we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"dolly"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Don't miss this little Jewel ..... just a mile from Montpelier.
A wealth of information local history.
Learn something New every time I go.
Don't miss it

James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Was delighted that you returned! Thank you for sharing your experience for others to read. We appreciate your support.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Sept 14th was my birthday and we were driving to visit James Madison Museum and House in Orange, VA. The museum is small, but very nice. The museum is ran by Bethany and she gave us a tour. Stop by the museum first and then go to James and Dolly Madison's House. Since it was my birthday, Bethany took a pictures with me.
Also, help Bethany and the city of Orange maintain the museum by sending a donation. It is a great place to learn about the 5th President.
Did you know that James Madison and Zachary Taylor-the 12th President were cousins? I didn't. Bethany told me.
Thanks for a great day Bethany and helping me celebrate my birthday.
ARMYWalker2020 - Lizz@56

1  Thank Seeall50states
James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Hi, Lizz,

I posted the photo - it was such fun meeting you and your husband! Thank you for the donation; hopefully, you received the card for your taxes this year. I hope that your birthday trip might become annual -

Best Wishes -

Reviewed 11 September 2017

This is a must visit if you are in the area. Great facility and great staff. We had a great time and learned about American History.

James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you for choosing to visit and for posting your thoughts about your visit with us. I hope you can return soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 May 2017

My wife and I volunteer at James Madison's Montpelier and have taken tours there many times, but I had not previously been to the James Madison Museum in Orange. Today we took friends to Montpelier, then stopped at the James Madison Museum to see what they might have to offer. We were absolutely delighted. The museum includes information not only on James Madison, but on everyday life during Madison's time, other Virginia-born Presidents, the history of Orange County and life in the enslaved community. We were told that the exhibits change with some frequency. We were delighted to see several items that were documented to have belonged to James Madison, including his favorite Campeche chair. The museum also had his grandfather's will, and a newspaper with his obituary. Well worth a visit. They are open 11 - 5 Tuesday through Saturday and the admission is $5.50 for adults (18+) and $2.50 for youth (6 - 17).

2  Thank WHGC
James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

It was delightful meeting both of you and your two friends! Your knowledge of James, Dolley and Montpelier was evident and enabled us to chat more deeply. Thank you for writing about your visit with us. I sincerely hope you return soon.