Review Highlights
Great little museum with knowledgeable staff

We visited this museum on "free museum day" and are so glad we did. While it looks small from the... read more

Reviewed 30 September 2018
nomadintraining
Bedford, Virginia
via mobile
Excellent Museum!

It's called the James Madison Museum, but there's much more to it than Mr. Madison. There are... read more

Reviewed 2 September 2018
JosephO665
McLean, Virginia

All reviews farm equipment orange county wealth of information learn something black history great place to learn two hours answer any questions white house visit montpelier local history artifacts montpellier life slaves virginia items
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Don't miss this little Jewel ..... just a mile from Montpelier.
A wealth of information local history.
Learn something New every time I go.
Don't miss it

James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Was delighted that you returned! Thank you for sharing your experience for others to read. We appreciate your support.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Sept 14th was my birthday and we were driving to visit James Madison Museum and House in Orange, VA. The museum is small, but very nice. The museum is ran by Bethany and she gave us a tour. Stop by the museum first and then go to James and Dolly Madison's House. Since it was my birthday, Bethany took a pictures with me.
Also, help Bethany and the city of Orange maintain the museum by sending a donation. It is a great place to learn about the 5th President.
Did you know that James Madison and Zachary Taylor-the 12th President were cousins? I didn't. Bethany told me.
Thanks for a great day Bethany and helping me celebrate my birthday.
ARMYWalker2020 - Lizz@56

1  Thank Seeall50states
James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Hi, Lizz,

I posted the photo - it was such fun meeting you and your husband! Thank you for the donation; hopefully, you received the card for your taxes this year. I hope that your birthday trip might become annual -

Best Wishes -

Reviewed 11 September 2017

This is a must visit if you are in the area. Great facility and great staff. We had a great time and learned about American History.

James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you for choosing to visit and for posting your thoughts about your visit with us. I hope you can return soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

My wife and I volunteer at James Madison's Montpelier and have taken tours there many times, but I had not previously been to the James Madison Museum in Orange. Today we took friends to Montpelier, then stopped at the James Madison Museum to see what they might have to offer. We were absolutely delighted. The museum includes information not only on James Madison, but on everyday life during Madison's time, other Virginia-born Presidents, the history of Orange County and life in the enslaved community. We were told that the exhibits change with some frequency. We were delighted to see several items that were documented to have belonged to James Madison, including his favorite Campeche chair. The museum also had his grandfather's will, and a newspaper with his obituary. Well worth a visit. They are open 11 - 5 Tuesday through Saturday and the admission is $5.50 for adults (18+) and $2.50 for youth (6 - 17).

2  Thank WHGC
James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

It was delightful meeting both of you and your two friends! Your knowledge of James, Dolley and Montpelier was evident and enabled us to chat more deeply. Thank you for writing about your visit with us. I sincerely hope you return soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

it takes about an hour. several nice items. then move on to montpellier. nice people and they give you and introduction to the museum.

James Madison M... o, Manager at James Madison Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to visit the museum. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and appreciate that you took the time to write a review.