“I would not recommend this place” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Leeds, United Kingdom
“I would not recommend this place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a fortnight and I was extremely disappointed with my stay here.
I paid over £1200 for this holiday as I went over the New Year period and I felt like it was such a waste of money!!!
The weather in December/January time is absolutely rubbish, cloudy everyday with rain on and off pretty much every hour.
It is the most boring place I have ever stayed, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, although it has it's own private beach you can't do much on it apart from sunbath and swim in the sea. There are no shops and if you do want to go anywhere you have to book a trip.
The Italian restaurant was disgusting, I only went once and tried the pizza which tasted awful! and as for the main restaurant, the food was ok but it was the same every single day.
The outdoor snack bar staff were very rude, I would ask for a burger or sandwich with fries and you would get a small portion (not enough to fill me up) so I would ask for the same again and they would refuse as there isn't enough for more than one each although I had paid a huge amount for all inclusive! ridiculous.
There is only one small bar next to reception to sit at on a night and the disco was never open, so again there was simply nothing to do.
I couldn't give many good points on this holiday apart from some of the trips I went on which were fun.
My feedback is honest and I know some people may have very much enjoyed their holiday but it totally depends on age, what you expect for the price you pay and what you are looking for on your holiday.
I am 21 years of age and I wanted a romantic holiday with sunshine and things to do with my partner and it just wasn't for me.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Clare L
Midael E, Propietario at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Guest,
We are truly sorry to hear that your vacations in our hotel were not as you expected, but there are some things we would like you to understand: first, if you book a hotel in Cuba in December you need to know that this is winter time for us, and we can't do anything for changing the weather conditions, we wish we could do that for pleasing all our guests, but it's impossible!, on the other hand, the hotel is not in the middle of nowhere as you stated in your opinion, it is one of the nine hotels in Cayo Coco, and it is true that if you want something different from staying at it, you need to book an excursion, remember this is not a city hotel, but a beach one, and the nearest town is 70 KM away ( you should have know that through your agent)
Conserning some other details you metioned in your opinion about the service at the hotel, we would like you to know that we worked on it and the ones responsibles for the claims are not longer here with us, and of course we would like to have you here some other time to prove that things are much better now.
Truly yours,
Midael Echemendía Castro
Playa Coco Hotel Resident Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My family and a small group of people returned from a week vacation at Hotel Playa Coco all happy and relaxed. It was a great vacation, hotel was nice, nice clean and spacious rooms, beautiful beach, kids had fun in the very nice pool, entertained by awesome entertainment staff through out the day and then in the evening at the mini disco and night show, the one entertainer that the kids loved was Moko, made them laugh and made sure that the kids participated in the mini disco, the kids just loved playing with Moko. I should say that this hotel overall has very good entertainment because of great staff. The service was good, one very young guy stands out in this and too bad I didn't take his name, he always had a smile on his face and when he was around you didn't have to wait long for drinks. The swim up bar was a great advantage in the very hot days. Also the 24h snack bar was a big plus with variety of food. This was one of many trips to Cuba and we really love it agian, it was definatelly worth the money we paid for it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rachel K
Midael E, Gerente at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for letting everybody know your experiences at Playa Coco Hotel during your staying here last April. I will let all the staff know about it!
Kind regards,
Midael Echemendía
Resident Manager
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was my first time ever going to Cuba and It was deffinatly worth it. I can't wait to go back, will definatly be going back to this resort.
All the people were friendly and nice, the food was good, and our room was awesome.
Our room was always clean and tidy when we returned back each night, at the end of our vacation there was a nice note left for us from the house keeper, she always made a swan or some sort of design with the blankets, it was nice.
The gardener was really nice he would always be there and make us hats, and grasshoppers out of palm leaves, it was very cool.
The entertainers, Michael, Moko, Mikael, and Jack were the best they made things fun, and were always friendly, The show was awesome always fun to go to, and very funny. Almost every night at the show there were dancers, they were awesome.
I deffinatly can't wait to come back to Hotel Playa Coco.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Amy F
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I was at the Playa Coco for 2 weeks at Christmas. I came back for 2 weeks again and it was great. As usual the staff was absolutely fantastic going out of their way to get you anything you need. The room was perfect and I did notice a great improvement in the food. They really want our feedback to they can make adjustements to please the customers.
They have opened a beer garden and moved the 24 hr snack to the pool bar, great idea. They have a beach buffet dinner that was really nice and it was a real dinner tablecloth etc. not a picnick.They have changed the furniture in the main lobby bar it looks great and is very confortable. You can feel that they have a real comittment to improvement. They do not do it all at the same time which is better in my opinion but what is done is very well done.The grounds are just gorgeous. And the beach well its the best beach in the Cayo !!! Again this is Cuba, so do not expect eating as if you were in Europe. But Playa Coco is just great and keeps getting better and better all the time. This is getting to be a gem for people who like a nice and quiet place. I just love it. It is the best value for your money. When you go back it is like going back your are greeted as a member of the family.

Room Tip: Try a get a room with a view of the ocean it is fantastic.