“It's Cuba!”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Mississauga, Canada
“It's Cuba!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

First of all, to all of you that leave bad reviews, please............. This is Cuba. If you go from a 5 star resort in Mexico or Punta Cana, than yes, this resort will not look too apealing. But if you go with an opened mind than you can have a blast.

The rooms are outdated but very clean. I am a clean freak and I always bring my own lysol so this coming from me means that the rooms are for real clean.

The food is good, tastes amazing and there is something for everyone, but do not go to the buffet at the end of your meal time, when they are starting to put the food away and there is nobody else in the restaureant but you and your family......... just don't.

The beach is breath taking, beautiful and clean. The people are very frendly and amazing. I love the resorts song that they dance to and this will stay with you for a long time. It took me a while to learn the moves to the song but it was worth it.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor room. No bugs and good view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank vacationers06
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We consider them very helpful. It is true, It is Cuba and we all do our best effort to make our guests happy with their holidays.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,314)
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

The staff at the hotel are lovely and very professional. The manager was asking for feedback which I've never had before at any other hotel. The staff work very hard and they all seem to enjoy working there. The hotel is spotless. The rooms are o.k. they could do with a lick of paint and a new bathroom, but as we were never in the room it didnt bother us. The food is great with lots of choice includeing a oriental,italian, cuban, BBQ and the main buffett. If your going try and stick it the same row where you sit for food in the buffet as the staff get to know you and look after you. The beach is breath taking it is the cleanest most heaven beach i've ever been on, the pools at the hotel were good and didnt get too busy but then with a 5 star beach most people were down there. We went on the day trip to Moron and a sugar cane factory with a quick look in a cigar factory and a trip on a speed boat . A great day out i would recommend it. The only niggeling thing is getting served at the bar ar night they have a lot of bar stools which get in the way and because there is no queue is its pot luck how quick you get a drink. They kept running out of glasses so you get horrible plastic cups, the canadians have it right and take there own huge flasks that will hold a decent pint. we loved this hotel and will be going back

Room Tip: we were in 970 very near the beach ( u could see it ) you couldnt hear the nightclub so perfect
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet R
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your dedication to write your feedback here. We will take advantage of your comments for continue working hard. Thank you very much.

Shelburne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Tryp Cayo Coco from April 12 to April 19, 2012.

The staff were wonderful - helpful, a pleasure to talk to, and professional. It was the people at Tryp that I enjoyed most. They made our vacation perfect. The housekeeping staff, food preparation workers, host/hostesses, front desk staff, guest services, shop staff..... simply everyone. No complaints at all.

The food was excellent. With several restaurants to choose from - an extensive variety of food - something for everyone. I was very concerned about the food before arriving, as I have a serious health condition, but as it turned out, the quality of food was so good and given the variety of food to choose from, I had no problems at all. The food was delicious and fresh, and the staff, when asked, would prepare the food just as requested - and with a smile.

We enjoyed professional, talented, friendly, and beautiful entertainers who made our evenings special - the performances were great. I really enjoyed Charlie Chaplin, the choreography and the lovely costumes. Every one of the performers were so well trained. My husband and I looked forward to each evening's performance. We liked all the themes, and the children's shows were great for the kids, and adults. We really enjoyed the music. The DJ was excellent. I wish I had bought the DVD of the shows, but we ran out of time to stop by and pick one up.

The beach was great. The water is crystal clear. One day there was a lot of seaweed from rough seas and it was cleared promptly. One recommendation would be to improve the shade/coverage from the sun. There should have been more palms on the roofs of the cabanas.

Tryp is a lively place, with many activities to choose from and for you to decide what is best suited to your age, abilities and interests. I've been to many places in the world, stayed at first class accommodation to low end, and for me, Tryp is one of the best places I've vacationed for the value, and I attribute that mainly due to the staff at Tryp.

The stress melted away as the days passed.
Many thanks to all the staff at Tryp who made beautiful memories for my husband and I.

If I make it through my illness, I'll most definitely be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in "9 Block", located a very close walk from the main atrium, pool, and stage. T...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SnowOnFire
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad knowing that you fully enjoyed your stay and that you are happy with the services that you received from our staff. Hope that you can visit us again.

Westville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Returned for the second time on March29th to April12th with a group of family and friends . The resort is still beautiful . Rooms are starting to show ware but renavations have started but it takes longer in Cuba becauses of limited resources and equipment .But everything was clean and the maids and cleaning staff work hard . Regarding tips don't forget the cleaning staff inthe beach resturant. One day I witnessed one helping an elderly lady( who was quite upset about soiling herself ) with such compassion I was very touched . A few days later I gave here a tip and she was speechless later in the days as I was going to the washroom she approched me and thanked me for noticing her and how good she did her work she said it made her fell good.These people are the ones who seldom get noticed so think about tipping them sometimes . The nightly entertainment on the resort has greatly improved a credit to them all. One day we noticed the Manager having the music at the pool turned down this was welcomed by a great many. You(manager) are a credit to this resort you are seen through out the day checking on every detail no matter how small congradulation on a job well done. The buffet offers a wide variety of dishes to chose from, the best food I have found in Cuba. The international , asian and Cuban a la cartes are good as is the beach resturant but for a change try the buffet at lunch time . A dress code is being inforced now at the a la cartes so men take long pants and closed toed shoes or sandles and shirts with sleeves the shirts must also be worn at the buffet for dinner.On the second week of our stay I required the services of the Doctor and Nurse for a severe ear infection . The treatment and care I recieved from the two women was exception our health care workers in Canada could take some lessons from these Professional compassionate ladies. The cost was about $130. dollars which included seeing the doctor 4 times and the nurse 6 times including three prescriptions. I would not even try to guess how many hundreds of dollars it would cost in Canada makes you wonder doesn,t it . The only problem we had was my friend forgot his camera on a table in the upstairs bar area for about 5 minutes went he returned to fined it gone . Some of the bartenders started looking for it but to no avail, several staff members as the days went by would ask if he found there concern was touching . To the person who took it if you break a leg my friends wish came true the camera was replaceable the pictures are not.Hopefully we will get a chance to return to this resort but not in March when the Canadian kids take it over . There behavior is terrible in Canada it would no be tolerated maybe a threat of being put off the resort would calm them down. Don't worry about them not returning because it the price , sun , beach and rum they come for. To the people we meet from Manitoba, England and Ontario happy travel and hope we meet again

Room Tip: This is agood size resort so if you have problems walking try to get net the main pool. There is a r...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank oldboot_12
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time writing your opinion about your stay in our Hotel. It is very nice to know that you will return again. Hope to meet you here then.

Best regards,

uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed there for last two weeks of February.

Good points –
• Food in buffet very good, although could do with a few more labels so we know what we are eating. Food very nicely presented. Great variety.
• Maintenance staff excellent. Maids reported the fridge not working and it was replaced within a few hours. A light bulb went and replaced in no time. Also a follow up phone call to check all was working.
• Maids were good. Maintenance man hovered outside the room the day we were leaving. We think to collect the tip we were leaving as there was no maintenance to be done!
• Gardens were delightful and so were the gardeners. Always willing to have a chat and full of smiles and waves and made little creatures for you. We had a grasshopper, a flower and a fish.
• Chinese restaurant very good but white wine awful! Italian not very good and the Cuban was really, really disappointing, in fact we didn’t eat it.
• Hotel clean
• Rooms basic and not really 4* but were ok. Bathrooms need updating but perfectly serviceable and you don’t spend much time in there. Bedding worn but clean.
• Beach was lovely. Able to watch pelicans fishing in amongst swimmers. Water very clear but not always that warm. Beach attendants very good.
• They did an English evening which was lovely and the food very good.
• All roast meat excellent especially the pork and crackling!
• Pool for flamingos very relaxing, could just do with better seating around it.
• Chap in charge of pedalos very jolly with a good sense of humour.
• Lovely walk along beach to sister hotel. In fact thought we preferred that hotel.

Bad points

• Staff miserable apart from Ricardo and Allen in 24 hour bar, who were fabulous. With others you got a smile if you had a coin in your hand, particularly at the pool bar (he didn't serve you unless you had one)!
• Buffet dining room not always cleared as quickly as it could be. One waiter left the table with two glasses of wine on it and said people were sitting there but they weren’t!
• Foul smelling pond between 24hr bar and buffet. Really bad and must attract mosquitoes.
• Bar loos not replenished on Sundays – well not until very late.
• Music so loud you cannot hear yourself think. Also, pool music and stage music competing with each other.
• Every night the Birdie Song as the children do something on stage.
• Salsa can only be danced to one piece of music it would appear.
• Massage a bit of a waste of time, just not very good.
• Scrabble for a sun bed around the pool every morning – towels put out at ?dawn!
• No loo near quiet pool
• Reception staff very welcoming on arrival but after that quite rude.
• Seating around bar upstairs meant it was difficult to get served.
• The hotel is on an island so very isolated. I wanted to see Cuba and only way to do so was to go on a trip.
• Full of Canadians so avoid the Canadian’s university holidays.
• Had to see the doctor and she didn’t ask about any medication I was taking and just prescribed some pills for the gnat and mossie bites. Make sure you know your tablets in Spanish, (or any condition you may have) before you go. Also had to push quite hard for a receipt.
• Pharmacist very keen to push you into the doctor so take all the creams and pills you can think of to save a bit.
On the whole, not a true 4* hotel but if you are going as a family there is lots to do and they work hard at entertaining you. There is pool, petanque, tennis, sailing, aqua fitness, zumba, salsa lessons, a gym, pedaloes, children’s entertainment etc. It is good value for money if you don’t mind Butlins in the sun but definitely, definitely not as bad as the tv Benidorm!!! Would I go back, resounding no, sorry. I like happy people when I go on holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms over by the flamingo pond are quite quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Faith C
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. They are very helpful for us. We sincerely apologies for the expectation that we were not able to fulfilled and that depend on our Hotel. We will sincerely take advantage of the negative points to continue working for improvements.

Sinecrely,