“So-so...”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto, Canada
“So-so...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was my 3rd time visiting Cuba and my 4th resort - it's definitely 4/4. It wasn't bad but in comparison to other places I've been it's not great.

Check-in was a breeze. We arrived early so we had to leave some stuff in the luggage room because the rooms weren't ready - no problem. When we came back, the rooms were ready and the bell-hops took us to the rooms right away. All the rooms had something wrong with them (whether it was an ant infestation, toilets that didn't work or broken locks on the doors). The front desk staff appeared to be helpful at first but we quickly realized that wasn't true. After multiple times asking them to help we discovered that the only people who will actually get issues fixed are the girls in the customer service desk across the lobby (they also book a la cartes for you). It look a lot of time to get anything fixed and the issues were real...I mean, you have to have a toilet that flushes and a door that will lock. After that was dealt with, there weren't any issues in the room. The maids were good at keeping things cleaned though I don't think the floor was swept once. New drinks were brought to the mini fridge everyday and if you happen to be there when the guy comes he'll bring you whatever type of drink you want (coke/7up).

The food was mediocre. Anyone who's been to Cuba before knows that it's not going to be fantastic but there was enough food to eat and not starve. The buffet always had an omlette bar in the morning and pasta bar at lunch and dinner. That was pretty much was I lived off of. By the end of the trip they had fresh bread everyday which was delicious too. Little tip: If you bring the uncooked bacon/sausages to the guy cooking the eggs, he'll crisp those up for you too! The 24hr snack bar was a bit of a disappointment. They constantly ran out of food by about 10pm and just closed down for the night. Every once in a while they'd have food going until 1am or so with french fries and potato chips which was great.

The entertainment was alright. There weren't too many people who were interested in being involved in it and I'm not convinced they had all the activities that were advertised. For example, they said they had volleyball every morning on the beach but we went to play one day and there was no one there. The shows weren't too great either but the staff worked all day preparing for it and were very dedicated.

The beach was great. They have lots of chairs to go around and the water is beautiful. There aren't any other resorts in the direct vicinity to you really just have the beach to yourself. There are catamarans, kayaks and peddle boats to rent as well. We went on the horse back ride along the beach too (10 CUC) and it was pretty good. You got to see more of the beach and get some interaction with local Cubans. It was about an hour long but if you don't care about taking a stroll down the beach further then it's not worth the money.

We also did the catamaran day trip. It was pretty good. It was nice to be out of the resort for a day and each fresh food - we had a choice of lobster or chicken (and you know it was fresh because local fisherman delivered it to the catamaran while we were out at sea!). The snorkeling wasn't too great but you got to see some coral and get out on the open water. The 'virgin beach' they take you to was a joke. It's basically an island with trees and 1-2 feet of sand. They anchor the boat and you have to swim/walk into the beach - which is a walk among loads of seaweed and whatever else is living there. Not impressed with that piece.

Lots of cats around and there was also one random bull (yes, a bull) wandering around at night. That was quite a surprise walking to the room. Overall it was alright though. I think if I went back I'd try somewhere else. Varadero is the best place I've been if you want to really explore more of Cuba in a city area - and you can do trips to Havana which is pretty close by. If you want a more quite trip, Cayo Coco or Guardalavaca (Holguin) are good. They're both more secluded with less locals around. If I did go back to Cayo Coco though, I'd go to a different resort.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mf32
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
  • Polish first
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband, my daughter and I just returned from this rsort and would go back in a heartbeat. This is our second time to Cuba but the first to this hotel. We were greeted with nothing but professionlism from the time we walked into the resort. Jhon at the front reception was attentive and curteous. When anyone had issues he addressed them in a timely manner.
We had a room right by the pool so it was close to everything. It was clean and well maintained. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner as they only provide one bottle for the week. Towels were changed daily.
The bartenders were terrific. Justin in the lobby bar and Oslen at the poolbar and disco were amazing. They smiled all the time and joked with everyone.
Let's talk about the animicone staff. Luis and Gerald were terrific, amazing, energetic and friendly. They are two of three staff that provide all the activities at the pool and beach. These people get up every morning at 7:00 and rarely go to bed before 2:00 am. All for 10 pesos a month and one day off a week. And unlike the rest of the staff at the resort they do not get tipped.
We met a great bunch of people at the resort which we partied with all week. A shout out to all of them.
If you are going to Cuba for the food go somewhere else. However, the buffet has something for every one to eat. It is clean and replenished often. They have an omelette and pancake bar in the morning and a pasta and grill for fish chicken and beef in the evening. The ala cartes were excellent and you can get all three if you chose. You are garanteed 2 but you can line up in the lobby every morning to see the availibilty of the other for seats.
The beach is narrow but groomed. there is only one tractor for seaweed for the whole island so all the resorts have take turns.
Some of the issues we read about before going like garbage in the pool and cups on the deck is not the maintiance staff's fault but lazy tourists not cleaning up after themselves. THERE IS NO POOL SERVICE. If you take it from the the bar or snack bar take it back or put it in the gabage cans, which you can't help tripping over every few yards. If you smoke use an ashtray and not the pool deck.
The plastic cups are small so don't forget you own cooler cup or BUBBA.
Chairs at the pool and bech are plentiful and you don't need to save them at any time of day.
My fifteen year old daughter even had a good time. She was not bored at all, from volleyball at the the beach, horseback riding and pool games, she busy.
I can't say enough about this resort and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: if you are flying out late in the day or evening ask to keep your room until the last minute. they d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Joanne P
hamilton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

From the beginning ..We flew out of Toronto Pearson Airport February 9th and we parked our car at the holiday inn for $110 a week and then we stayed over the night on the return to Canada. We live in Hamilton and were told that a limo cost $75.00 one way so if you are traveling in a group this is a great cost and then you don't need to drive. Next time we will do this...We didn't arrive until 1:55am Friday February 17th.

Arrival to the airport in Cuba I changed my money at the airport but to everyone else you can make the change at the bank at the resort. You get a better bang for you buck! The staff will take tips in Canadian money too...You can buy two beers for $5.00 Canadian but we were told the little stands are cheaper for that bus ride to the resort. The Buses are very impressive. Cuban are so nice!

ARRIVAL:
Arrival to the resort we didn't wait very long for the room but we also arrived at 10 pm in the evening. I have heard they take longer for the day arrivals but remember check out is in the afternoon so if you arrive earlier than that expect to wait. We had a hard time to find our building but that was fun! We were lost in the dark...LOL! DON'T Forget to bring a BUBBA for your drinks the little plastic cups are small. We had no trouble with our glasses my husband drank beer and I drank rum,vodka etc. The snack bar was amassing and especially the staff ,Oslen was amassing and also Justin at the piano bar. Remember to tip the staff every once in a while. I do want to give some advice on what to bring- BUBBA, jam or peanut butter if you like for toast, clothes to give to staff perhaps you don't wear, tip cleaning staff toiletries (Dollar store).

Rooms
Our room was great we had no complaints water was Hot! We stayed in room 1601...We had no bugs in February but I ask the staff when would the mosquito come out and he said in March they usually start. So bring your bugs spray just in case. I did but left it for the staff at the end since there wasn't one. I didn't have one complaint at all with our room. Oh do not put your room key together with phone,camera etc. It may demagnetize the card but you just go to front office to fix. LOL!

Entertainment staff...
Wow! from the first day there they just impressed me. Luis and Gerald were amassing and from the beginning we had a attachment with them and they treated us wonderfully. Luis energy and love of his job was electric. Gerald was wonderful and he loved to teach dance and socialize with all the guests. They both started the day so early from working out,dancing lessons, Volleyball at the beach (We played all seven days),I loved to dance so the number of times Gerald helped me learn new moves since i took Salsa lessons and wanted to learn variety of other dances. We also had amassing time with Luis with the water volleyball and all the other pool activities.
A++++ Luis and Gerald we will be back next year .

Go to the Cave with Luis and Gerald !

Drinks and food
I recommend the omelet station for breakfast ,pancakes but if you like maple syrup
bring your own. Yogurt station was great! My husband thought the orange juice was a little different than ours but it had a more grapefruit taste and I loved it!

Lunch we had the snack bar mostly and we loved pizza,grilled cheese ,fries and burgers. I never had the hot dogs but everyone we met did...They loved them.

Dinner was great for all our ala carte meals! i not a picky eater and I thought there was enough variety to make me not feel I repeating the same things everyday.

Beach was beautiful! We hung out there a lot and went for a few walks to look for shells. There is also horseback riding for $10 pesos I didn't do it but our friends did and loved it! I will do it next year when I do back with my kids.

I believe that this resort is not a 20's resort if you just want to be young and crazy but these 36+ kids made the best of it and loved every minute of it! I will be bringing my kids aging 17,13,9 next year. We love it and I know my kids who love a good time just like us would too...The only complaint we had was we had to leave LOL!

I glad when I read the bad review that I didn't believe everything I heard because I have worked in the food and beverage industry for year and believe me the service was great but unfortunately you can't pick other guests. The older people that sometimes choose to make a trip to cuba can be a little cranky for waiting in a line or too but honestly you go to a bar or pub you still wait in line. Get a Budda I can't stress that enough.

Have a great trip and perhaps we will meet more wonderful people in the future just like the once we met this week.

Carmen and Jay
(36) (41)

Room Tip: We stayed at 1601 but i like the room our friends had closer to the pool and bar etc. Less walking...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank carmshine
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I was in Cuba a few times before,so I had some ideas what to expect.
Resort is beautiful,clean and very pleasant,,food is very good,and always there were cooks helping guests with their particular taste or requests and fix them something right there,things like pasta,chicken, beef ,fish,pancake ,eggs,etc,,desert was very good.fruits ok.
rooms were very clean ,sheets clean too,no bugs,and beach is superb the sand is nice white..super friendly staff everywhere .front desk very helpful,,PR lady called to check for any problems,mini bar loaded and restocked on daily basis,,so ignore the people who lie about drinks and shortage,,you can get any kind of drinks or wine from bars without any problem.wine is very good.
entertainment was very good,even they have a live music band in the evenings inside the buffet building.transportation from & to airport was perfect.
swimming pool is perfect,loved it all,and the usual keeping you busy around the pool stuff going on the whole day.
the areas that can be improved:coffee in the buffet is not that good,though in the bars coffee is very good.internet is limited or most of times down,and I couldn't get in touch with outside world,if you have a backberry you will be ok,BB works there,,phone calls very expensive,,currency exchange rate is artificial.
and yes there is something that I and many others disliked,there is a poor skinny goat attached to a cart and pulling it around the resort and I witnessed big heavy idiots sitting in the cart , amusing themselves like clowns,wish somebody would stop that inhumane show.
all together I give 4 stars to this just 3 year old resort.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank oscar0009
Arlesey, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was the worst holiday we have ever had. I wouldn't know where to begin with complaints.
We couldn't eat the food because we didn't know what it was. They ran out of drink so we bought some from the shop along with crisps because we were starving. Ants were running all over our toothbrushes, cockroaches in the bedrooms and plagues of them outside the rooms. we had to put towels under the gaps in the doors to stop them running in. The barman got so drunk one night he couldn't stand and closed the bar at ten after being really abusive. There was no pest control and we killed over 60 mozzies in 5 minutes while trying to have a drink, we gave up and spent nearly the whole 2 weeks in our room. They ran out of complaint forms and wouldn't talk to us about anything. Everyone was so upset. The so called nice restaurant that you book didn't have anything on the menu so we basically lived off crisps and drink bought from the shop. Can't even think of one nice thing to say, it has scared me of booking holidays again and I'm in no way a fussy person. It has taken me 8 months to even write this

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends