All reviews soggy dollar garden cottage ac room sand castle beach front great place to get away water pressure bay ferry units breeze
Reviewed 27 July 2017

This is my second stay at Sandcastle/Soggy Dollar. We stayed on one of the two AC rooms. The room was clean and the towels and bed linens were like new! You cant beat the location either, right on White Bay just steps from the famous Soggy Dollar bar. While the beach and bar are very busy during the day it does get quiet in the evenings but that is one of the nice things about the place. The staff is also amazing! Just a great place to get away!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2017

If you get a chance to stay here, TAKE IT!!! Great location, Great lodging, Great Drinks, and Great people. Could not of asked for anything more. Walk outside your room to the beautiful beach and just a few steps away to one of the best bars in the islands. The only thing I did not like was LEAVING. Cant wait to visit again!!!!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms speak for themselves!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2017

We were in a group that was staying here for 6 nights. We were staying in one of the two AC units. We also had another group in the beach front cottage and another in a garden cottage.

We arrived at the hotel via taxi from the ferry. We had some large bags, but there is no one there to help, you will need to carry it all along the sand paths. Our rooms were ready when we got there around 1PM. As the manager showed us to our cottages, she did warn us of a problem they have with a neighbor in the back that will occasionally start cursing all night at the top of his lungs. They told us to just call the cops if that happened, but the guy is harmless. Uh, okay.

Our unit, the AC unit, was comfortable, with shower located inside. It was hard to keep sand out of the unit as there was no tub of water at the front door, something I found odd. The walk way to the rooms are all sand, so sand tracked in very easily. The bed was a king size, but it was in need of a new mattress , the left side just had a big hole in it. Plenty of pillows provided though. The room also had a safe. Water pressure always good, and hot water always available. I believe the rate was $275 per night.

The folks in the beach front cottage said they did get a good breeze the whole time. so did not get too hot. However the folks in a garden cottage were in the back, and there is NOT a breeze there, and they were very uncomfortable. Both of those units had outdoor showers, which in hindsight may have been a good thing since they could wash the sand off their feet as they arrived at their units. Both cottages seemed well appointed, and all said beds were comfy. But for mid-June, may be too warm to enjoy the garden cottages without a steady breeze available to them.

The lack of AC for some and the rustic feel to the hotel was too much for some and we ended up leaving a day early (only stayed 5 nights). I did enjoy the feel, but I had AC and can understand those without could have an issue. Dinner is served at 6:30 and 7, and once that is done, the place is totally dark, nothing to do other than read in the cottage or sit on the beach.

As for the staff, they are THE BEST. Very friendly staff, both at restaurant and the bar. They get to know you by your name, and several others staying there say they become like family and they go every year. I really do appreciate how wonderful ALL the staff is there.

I also had some of my kids stay just around the corner at the Perfect Pineapple. I will write a separate review of that spot, but I do believe that if you need AC and cant get an AC room at the Sand Castle, just go up the road 1 minute to the Pineapple, and you will get a room MUCH cheaper, and just as nice.

Room Tip: AC rooms or beach front, not garden cottages
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank friscocruiser
Reviewed 27 December 2016

When we walked in, it was more than adequate. It had a fridge, which the maids filled with ice and water. It had a separate living room which had windows everywhere to see the most beautiful beach in the world.
It has a big bedroom and an outdoor shower. All complete with Character. This became my most memorable stay in the BVI's. I will never forget this place, the beach and of course the famouse Soggy Dollar bar.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AlmaLA1
Reviewed 27 November 2016

While this is not a five-star hotel it is one of our favorite places in the entire world to spend several days relaxing and enjoying our fellow guests.

While my first experience with the Soggy Dollar bar was 30 or so years ago, we have stayed at the Sandcastle Hotel the past couple of years for the Thanksgiving Holiday. We can't imagine being any other place.

The entire staff of the complex, whether Windsome, Claire, Simone, JJ - are all incredible to deal with and are truly what makes this place so special.

We've already book for next year and already looking forward to our return.

Room Tip: The property has 6 guest rooms - so book early! Bring your best bug repellent as they can be a bit intense at varying times during the day.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple