All reviews soggy dollar garden cottage ac room sand castle beach front great place to get away water pressure bay ferry units breeze
Reviewed 15 June 2016

I was reluctant to book the Sandcastle Hotel, due to the sheer amount of boaters I have seen in the past converging on the Soggy Dollar Bar attached to the hotel. Our Garden Cottage was perfect! The staff was great, and there were separate areas on the beach for guests only! We were treated great by the bar staff at The Soggy Dollar, and given priority ordering most of the time. The only reason I say most of the time is due to the sheer number of people at the bar. Once they saw me, it was what "what can I get you" almost immediately.

Room Tip: Garden Cottages are quieter during the day, if you just need quiet time. All Cottages are quiet at night!
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barry-Dani
Reviewed 1 May 2016

We have been to Jost for the day several times but this was our first time staying. The staff at Sandcastle were amazing - extremely attentive and focused on ensuring our stay was relaxing and worry free. Rooms were clean - food was amazing and the bartenders (especially JJ) were always ready to show us a good time. Can't say enough about this place - we booked our next week before we even left and I am already counting down the days until we get to return. Some of the nicest people I've ever met - they made you feel like family.......

Room Tip: There are only six room total (we stayed in two) garden and beach front both were great!
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ricci233
Reviewed 5 April 2016

To start off, the location of this hotel is unbeatable. White Bay has some of the most whites,t softest sands and the clearest waters in the Caribbean. The hotel is comprised of 6 villas/ huts. 2 right at the beach, and the other 4 progressively further back. The furthest room is only 20 seconds walking distance from the front rooms. My wife and I chose to stay in room 2. This was on of the beach front rooms with no AC. We kept the windows open and the fans on the whole time and we had no trouble sleeping at all. The other couples we talked to who had the AC rooms told us they never even turned them on. I would highly recommend taking the front rooms. The view is unbeatable and you get your own hammock.

The rooms themselves are fairly average. The are ceramic tile floors and beach-e furniture. There is a safe for valuable and a blow dryer if needed. It does have a living room and a small bathroom but the shower is adjoined outside, through the bathroom. I actually enjoyed taking a shower is looking up to see the stars. You also have to be aware there are mosquitos that can sneak into the room. We saw a few but the fans keep them at bay. Overall, the rooms are fairly generic.

Starting around 10:00am every morning, the boats will start to anchor and the bay will fill up with lots of people. Being that you are located right next to the Soggy Dollar Bar, it will be busy. Luckily for me, being that I was an actual guest, I just skipped the line. They have you picture and remember you by your room number. This may not be a policy but it worked. You will quickly learn that it nicer when the "boat people" leave for the day. I was once a "boat pearson" myself.

Early mornings and evenings are the best. When everything closes its quiet and you have the whole beach to yourself. Its is quiest amazing how many more stars you see here at night. During the day, I would recommend grabing some snorkel gear (they provide for free) and to the end of the beach on the right (a couple hundred yards). I swam out along the rock a few hundred yards out and saw tons of fish, brain coral, and small brown and white octopus. It was a good time to get away from the crowds.

Lastly, I recommend going out at breakfast time and reserving a beach hammock and a few chairs, to ensure you have the best spot before the crowd arrives. Also be prepared to pay for every sinlge meal, nothing is included. Beakfast is around $25 per couple. Lunch around $30 and dinner around $70. Try one of the root beers they have at the Soggy Dollar. Once you take a few drinks, get them to add a shot of dark rum. Forgive my misspelling as it's saying my entire post is misspelled.

Room Tip: Beach front room is the best!
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jebritt3099
Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

After 4 years and 3 of these at Soggy Dollar and Sandcastle it's time to call it a day due to the subtle but distinct changes that have occurred. At first it is paradise but now the standard of service and the creeping habit of disregarding residents, treating them just like the masses that pour off the multitude of boats each day to fight their way to the bar just to get served. When issues arise then the staff are right and the guests are wrong attitude is one of the reasons we will not be back. Watch your charged accounts and better to pay as you go.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Dougie C
Reviewed 31 December 2015

We have been day tripping to the Soggy Dollar on and off for the last 15 years as White Bay is our most favorite spot in the Caribbean. On our most recent visit my wife and I decided to stay at the Sandcastle and I am so glad we did, I wish we had stayed longer. We stayed in one of the beach front cottages, the room was very well appointed,clean and comfortable and the outdoor shower is awesome. From check in to check out the entire staff at the Sandcastle went out of their way to ensure all are needs were being met. The drinks are always great and the food in the restaurant was very good with a lot of options. Try their coconut cream pie for dessert, it was nothing like we had before. The Sandcastle is like a B&B in paradise,once the day trippers leave, its just you and the other guests and the people we met were regulars there and we enjoyed spending time with them. It is the ideal place to chill and relax. One of our favorite things was walking down to the beach at night and just taking in the tranquility that this place provides. Over the many years we have been going to the Soggy Dollar, this was the first time I actually saw the bar closed and then watch it open the next day. We will definitely be staying there again it was the highlight of our trip, cannot recommend it enough.
Thanks again to Claire,Stacy,Winsome,Shaneek,Vicki and everyone else at the Sandcastle/Soggy Dollar for giving us a wonderful experience. Jerry & Tish you have a great team.

Leslie & Rick
Ashburn, Virginia

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach don't have A/C but the ventilation with the windows and fans works very well.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple