“Convenient gem, Wish I could have stretched my stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1882 Colonial Manor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Onancock
1882 Colonial Manor Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Onancock B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Convenient gem, Wish I could have stretched my stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

All
I wanted was a convenient, nice, reasonably priced place to stay overnight on my way through the Eastern Shore to Va. this summer, and what I got was a rejuvating and relaxing 16 hours that I wished I could have extended for the rest of the weekend. My room was spacious and the bed linens crisp, the breakfast scrumptious and sumptuous, the hosts accommodating and friendly.

The comfortable historic inn is as inviting as it is interesting, truly a small town experience. If you are seeking sterile, service, or formality, look elsewhere. Linda and Carroll are down-to-earth, talented, and knowledgeable.

I experienced none of the complaints mentioned by others. I found the energy-consciousness of the innkeepers also a plus. I only wished that Orancock itself was doing a bit better economically, but that could be said of many towns these days.

I meant to write this review sooner, as I have relied on the honesty of the reviewers on this website to find some great places, and wish to contribute to the community.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank MLY-DC
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Onancock, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Staying at the Colonial Manor Inn is akin to staying with some long-lost cousins! The mother-daughter hosts are friendly and gracious and will give you tips on all the things to do in Onancock and the Eastern Shore, from taking the ferry to Tangier Island, to kayaking Onancock Creek. The best part is you can bring the kids and the dog to this pet-friendly inn with a large wooded yard to play in. There's even a fully handicapped-accessible room. We love that this inn is truly "Green." The organic eggs on your breakfast plate likely came from the chickens out back, who are fed scraps from the kitchen, and produce fertilizer for the garden.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary B
elverson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

My daughter and I took the"Chesapeake Lights Cruise"that had a stop-over in Onancock,this was our first stay at a B.and B..We were very tired from our all day lighthouse tour,our visit would be short,we didn't get to see much of the area,but would like to return.The house was great and comfortable,but the air conditioner in room #5 was louder than the ship's motor.I could not believe the noise,we REALLY NEEDED a good night's sleep-when the owner took us to our room,she did comment the air conditioner must be having a problem,i figured i could fool with the controls or turn it off and open the windows,but we were not offered another room or a discount.I did try to correct the problem to no avail,we could not get the windows open,there were no other rooms open and there was nowhere else to go that late in the afternoon,especially when you must walk every where and you have no transportation ! Needless to say,neither of us had a decent nights sleep,we shut it off-when we got too hot,turned it on -til we could no longer take the noise...this problem had to be going on for quite some time,just by the look of the air conditioner you could tell it was very old and needed replaced long ago.We went down to a fantastic breakfast the next morning,we were asked how we slept and I said awful-everyone joked about it,nothing was said except the conditioner must be replaced and that would be difficult because of the odd size.I never complain about anything,and I feel bad about even writing this,I sleep with a fan where I live,since we have no air conditioning-so i can sleep with some noise-but this was bad.I figure when you run an establishment such as this-air quality/conditioning would be an important point of issue.Please get this replaced before anyone else feels as we did,i felt worse when I got online and found others who have had the same issue at this very same-so maybe all the conditioners can be upgraded if need be.Other than that one issue,the house was great,the food and service likewise.I think it is wonderful that the Colonial is pet-friendly,they are few and far between.It is a beautiful place in a great little historic town,wish we had had more time to spend exploring !!...I may camp out next time...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank frisco2
Liadan, Owner at 1882 Colonial Manor Inn, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
All i can say is I'm sorry. I really had no idea the AC kept you from sleeping. I definitely would have offered compensation. You must have been exceptionally polite and subtle in your complaint, because I usually try to be very responsive to my guests needs.

You'll be happy to know that the AC has been replaced, even with the odd size window.

I do have an old house, 130 years old. I've replaced many ACs already and a new Central air for the common areas. I keep upgrading services, decor, and amenities all the time. I hope the next time you come you'll find us much improved.

We continually strive to be as good as the much higher priced 'luxury' B&Bs, yet stay affordable. We've actually won several awards recently, including a "Best of the Best" award out of 8500 inns from the Lanier Travel Guide.

Please give us another try and let us wow you!

Linda
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

I stayed here with my elderly mother. We enjoyed a suite that had a bed in each room with a bathroom between so that we could stay "together but separately." Great setup for us. I loved the place. It was comfortable with nice bathroom amenities, and a delicious breakfast in a really cool dining room with a huge table that was actually built in the room and is so big it'll never leave the room in one piece! There was a berry tart for breakfast that was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten in my life. I could never get on the free wi-fi in my room, but I could in the upstairs library, so I was satisfied with that. My mother, on the other hand, thought the house was not cleaned well. The entrance porch was especially dirty, and I think that turned her off from the beginning. Also, she didn't like the absence of a bathmat of any kind in our bathroom. She also said the yard was not well tended, though the owner did tell us that her helper with yard work had quit. We both enjoyed talking with the owners, who are very kind and interesting people. We were given excellent advice on where to eat in town, and about what to do out on Tangier island, which we visited the next day. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat; my mother would not, thus the average review.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

This was our first trip to the Eastern Shore of Va & we were celebrating our 30th anniversary. We were looking for a quiet, relaxing weekend with some interesting & enjoyable environs. Colonial Manor Inn was a perfect choice. We were able to bring our cocker spaniel with us & she was welcomed with treats, her own bowls, towel & information about dog-friendly beaches. Linda was gracious & warm & we felt immediately welcomed. A week later we are still full from Carroll's bountiful breakfasts, highlighted by the fresh eggs from the hens out back. Onancock was a sweet village with beautiful homes & some good restaurants. The weather didn't cooperate (snow at the end of March??!!); however, Colonial Manor was a wonderful place to snuggle in & enjoy each other's company. We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank mimicox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onancock
3.1 km away
35.4 km away
Garden and the Sea B&B Inn
Garden and the Sea B&B Inn
#1 of 1 in New Church

Been to 1882 Colonial Manor Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK