“Cheap, friendly, great breakfast”
Review of Arran Guest House

Arran Guest House
Arran Guest House
Ranked #5 of 16 Ilford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

Basic but comfortable and quiet ensuite room. Friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Good location for Ilford, it's station, the A12/A13/M11 and M25.

Has its own off street parking too.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

I recently stayed here for a few nights and was disappointed with my room. The radiator was stuck on and even with all 3 windows open it was still too hot. The room was poorly maintained with ancient furniture a rattling door and small TV that you had to watch square on to view. The wash basin cabinet was falling apart and deep down I couldn't wait to leave. I was blocked in both nights by some ignorant people living nearby and scratched my alloys trying to get out. The locals don't seem to sleep and are shouting across the street all night in every language apart from English. I certainly won't be returning here ever again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Julia R
Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

Pros:
- cheap (£45 for two person room - double with shared bathroom)
- location (close to ilford train station, 30mins to central London)
- breakfast (full English with orange juice and coffee)
- free wifi and parking
- shared bathrooms and toilets are clean

Cons:
- lumpy pillows and uncomfortable bed made it hard for me to sleep (only slept for <1 hour).
- the whole hotel is very warm, and I love warmth but this was ridiculous. Had to turn the radiator down.
- we had an old shower in our room and it was very cold as the temperature wouldn't adjust. It was probably the worst shower of my life.
- breakfast is too early!! 6:30-8am on weekdays and 7-9am at weekends. Could do with extending it another half an hour.
- check out is at 10:30am which is also quite early considering most hotels check out is about 12pm and the next guests don't need to check in until 2pm.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ajw163
Reviewed 4 December 2016

Okay firstly we have to recognise this is a budget hotel but here are my honest opinions of my stay which could have been improved so easily.

I paid an extra £5 to upgrade to en suite which I am glad I did so but...

1. Duvet cover was summer but it is winter... it was bloody freezing and couldn't pull it high enough... This combined with the radiator not being hot meant a very cold nights sleep! (couldn't see any blankets either!) If tucking in a duvet double up the top section so you can pull it around your neck when sleeping instead of struggling all night!

2. The pillows! They were ALL Super thick and hard... (almost double of normal pillow) which was probably the worst problem. My neck was cricked and woke up throughout the night.

3. Curtains... Unless you want to wake up at Sparrow's fart then these are no good. It was the weekend and I had worked late and the last thing I wanted to do was get up early on a Saturday morning... unfortunately this wasn't an option... this leads onto point 4!

4. Why on earth is last orders for breakfast at the weekend as early as 8.45... even on a Sunday! This is crazy... now I know why the breakfast is free... because people like me cannot be bothered getting up for it!

5. Fridge in room... I had to unplug this at the back due to the most horrific groans... It was definitely in pain!

6. Okay I understand the reasoning to put large bell-like plaques on the keys so that people do not lose... but nobody thinks about how this BELL sound is heard ALL morning and through the night by people walking around... Most annoying!

7. Okay the final point... The room was effectively very clean.. surfaces were shining and bed looked clean... but couldn't hide my eyes from the one pubic hair lying next to the shower drain (see pic!)

Good points:
1. room looked generally very clean and potentially freshly painted. Small but good sized bed.

2. nice en-suite apart from one little detail mentioned above!

3. Staff were nice but didn't ask me how my stay was as I was leaving

4. free parking!

5. seemed like a non-smoking room.

6. free wifi (didn't check)

Room Tip: I was on first floor looking out over car parking area.