All reviewsbedroom suitefull kitchenhigh speed trainboats passingst pancrasreception and bar staffcompared to other hotelsiron and ironing boardgreat view of the riverhot roomfabulous hotelbeer gardenbirthday partysmall roomlittle thingsalexander suitebank holiday
Reviewed 10 January 2017

We stayed for one night and I'm still trying to work out whether this hotel is trying to be something it isn't, or is better than what it actually is! It has clearly had a lot of investment recently but doesn't quite live up to the boutique hotel it's trying to be. The great thing is it was spotlessly clean, the room was fine but smelt of cigarette smoke (I could smell this down the hall, but admittedly do have a nose for stale tobacco). Equipment was left in the hallways, covered in sheets. We weren't able to get a bar snack at 5.30pm as we hadn't booked a table, yet only the top couple of tables in the bar had been reserved and we wanted nothing more than a quick snack. This seemed odd as surely a hotel should pretty much always be able to cater for its patrons, not send business elsewhere? The punk-style art work is, at first, striking but then you realise the whole place is covered in the same artist, which is not only monotonous but isn't in keeping with the style or location of the hotel and I'm no prude but was surprised to see a picture of a topless punk girl. Really? It seemed a very odd - far too personal art choice for a commercial environment. Breakfast was a room with a table with a few basic cereals (milk, no yoghurt) and fruit. Service was slow and as staff didn't wear uniforms and as seemingly everyone was carrying jugs of fruit juice around the room, it was hard to see who was staff and who wasn't (we needed to call someone over to place our order after a while). The cooked option was to order and really nice (but took a very long time to arrive) although one of our party wasn't allowed to change his order without even checking with the kitchen (he just wanted to add a potato rosti so really nothing particularly inconvenient). It was all fine, just a bit odd. A personal addition to our stay: I injured my foot and needed to ice it, but my husband was told there was none anywhere! I suppose this was indicative of our stay - it was okay, and we were given due service but no one was prepared to put themselves out any further than they had to, to make us feel like valued customers. Ultimately cleanliness is the key basic requirement, which it was. Would I stay again? Yes for convenience, if I needed to.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
adboperations, Owner at The Clarendon Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

thank you for your review. I have passed your comments on to the team. thank you once again for your review

Reviewed 1 January 2017

We booked for a double room over Christmas and were delighted to be upgraded to a wonderful spacious suite. This really made our Christmas all the more special. The suite was clean, comfortable, warm and very quiet. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly. The cooked breakfasts each day were amazing too.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
adboperations, Owner at The Clarendon Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2017

thank you for your kind review. we look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

After reading mixed reviews of this hotel, we came with an open mind. The hotel itself appears to be undergoing some extensive decorating and updating, which is great. The rooms were spacious and clean with all the amenities required. The en suite was spacious and the shower was great (although could have been slightly warmer)
Breakfast served in the dining room was slow, with a long wait for cooked food despite several staff working without organisation. When our order eventually arrived, it was well cooked and made with good quality ingredients. Sadly, it was only warm indicating that it had sitting waiting to be served for some time.
Clearly, this place is improving although there are still lessons to be learned. All said, we would be happy to visit again.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends

thank you for your review. I have passed your comments on to the team

Reviewed 28 December 2016

Where to start! As it was just the 2 of this year we decided to go out for Christmas lunch. Knowing that the Clarendon had been refurbished and was doing well (we thought) we decided to book. I phoned and emailed in October and was duly sent a copy of the menu that they were having on Christmas day. I paid in full at the time of booking (£160) and approximately 3 weeks beforehand was asked to choose our options off the "set menu". We duly chose a starter, fish course, intermediate, main, dessert and cheese platter. We were to arrive at 1pm for champagne and canopies.

I shall bullet point the rest of the fiasco:
- No champagne - was told its at the end of the bar;
- Nowhere to put coats so standing up holding it waiting to be seated;
- Glass smashed on bar, right near out drinks and all on the floor partly landing on my foot.
- Then asked to choose from the menu as they had changed it "because people wanted to change the SET menu".
- We had ordered quail; smoked haddock veloute, sorbet pallet cleanser, main turkey dinner, christmas pudding with brandy sauce/black cherry fondant with creme, cheese and biscuits.
- I asked why the menu had changed and was advised "people kept ordering different things". Not sure how you do that from a SET menu.
- We were advised our veloute would be our first starter followed by quail and then prawn cocktail (this looked like a 3 year old had plated it). Then Christmas dinner with a mixture of meats beef, gammon and turkey (the beef was grey), the turkey was so small the stuffing portion was bigger, the yorkshire pudding was at the bottom of the meal and was soggy and flat. My christmas pudding didn't look like it has been cooked, was cold and hard without brandy sauce, until a waitress came over with some off another table! The whole meal was cold or tepid for every course. The cheese and biscuits were nice and so were the unexpected mince pies!
- Ordering drinks was an experience. Waiter: Would you like some drinks. Me: Yes please do you have a wine list? Waiter: Yes I think so. Off he went. 15 minutes later I went to the bar to find him serving. Wine list? We don't have one. Choose from these. No prices or information! Chose a bottle of prosecco. I then took it back to the table in an ice bucket with 2 glasses and no cloth to stop all the drips!
- End of meal. Could we have a coffee please. No we have stopped servicing it's too late! However,people were in the bar drinking!!
- Bill arrives for £255! I already paid £160. I had to go to the bar. I owed for 2 bottles of wine. £95! Pardon. Oh sorry £45.

I appreciate all the staff worked hard on Christmas day when other people were having fun with their families. However, I paid £80 a head for cold, tasteless food and poor service. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: No idea about the rooms but from what I have heard they are ok.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
adboperations, Owner at The Clarendon Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

Thank you for your review. I have passed your comments on to the team

Reviewed 30 November 2016

The suite is lovely although very tired. The staff are truly wonderful, Sue and Lori in particular are really lovely. Everything is in need of emergency TLC. We love the views the space in the suite the staff are excellent. Would like to see the reception manned more as security is not so good, anyone can walk in. Painting decorating new beds take out the cream carpets , sort out the electrics, it would be perfect ........Feel sad really that the management don't take more interest in the hotel, meaning spend more money on customers needs instead of flash cars

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
adboperations, Owner at The Clarendon Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2016

thank you for your review. your comments are noted but do not reflect that of the owners or management