All reviewscooked breakfastlaid backlarge balconiesfish and chipssea viewreturn visitbeer gardenhot drinksshower and toiletst ivessuperb locationwatching the sunsetnight breakoverlooking the beachamazing viewsstaff were really friendlyfantastic food
Reviewed 12 July 2018

I will start by saying that the location is amazing - literally right on the beach and ideally placed for sunsets.
Inside, the restaurant looked great and it was busy.
We had had fish and chips here a few years ago, when there used to be an outside serving hatch, and they were delicious.
Unfortunately, this time, we were hugely disappointed.
First, the wait was ridiculous. It started well as we had a drink at the bar while waiting for our order. Long after the drinks were finished, there was still no food. When it eventually came out, it was most definitely not worth the wait. The fish and chips were poor - small portions, what looked like (but tasted worse than) oven chips and tasteless fish with greasy batter. The mango and mackerel salad was I'm sorry to say disgusting. The portion was also an insult for the price.
Sadly, despite the stunning view, we will not be going back.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Fantastic food, great service...

Called in here for some early dinner after spending a lovely afternoon on Widemouth beach.

I had a lovely pad thai which was brilliant, the staff were outstanding and gave great service

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2018

You can not fault the location of this hotel, the beach is literally at the end of the garden. The garden itself gets the sun all day and has oversized bean bags and plenty of tables and chairs to soak up the sun.
The room we had with balcony (well balcony is being understated it’s more a huge terrace) was very clean with crisp white bed linen and white fluffy towels in the en suite.
We did think the shower cubicle was very tight on space, but was adequate.
The breakfast was ok, that’s all, I’ve had a lot better.
The one thing that I think let them down was the staff I thought they were very abrupt and not friendly- even on check out I was just passed my bar bill with the words cash or card? Paid for it and she walked away, I had to ask her “Is that everything” to which she replied over her shoulder “Yes”.
Not a “Did you enjoy you’re stay” - or “How was everything” or “Hope you will stay again”
I just felt that if you are in the hospitality trade you really need to be hospitable, that said if I need a room down that way again I would check their availability first.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for room with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2018

I called in the Beach House after a recommendation from a local shopkeeper - the food was lovely, staff were really friendly, no problem with the dog. Ate my dinner at a picnic table on the sand looking at the sea. Very relaxed atmosphere, was sorry to leave!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2018

We chose this hotel for its location and it didn’t disappoint! We usually go to Bude or Widemouth for the day but decided as the weather was good to stay overnight. We booked a snug room with a balcony and sea view and it had everything we needed. We loved sitting out on the balcony looking at the sea and surrounding area.
The staff were friendly and professional and greeted us warmly on our arrival. We liked the fact that we could park for free and enjoy the beach both days.
The breakfast was plentiful, well cooked and delicious.
We ate in the restaurant and had plaice, which was beautifully cooked, only one small criticism was that the vegetables (new potatoes and peas) were a little boring. But, our starters were delicious and it certainly won’t put us off going again!
In fact we are planning our return already.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple