“Hotel Tropico Playa”

Hotel Tropico Playa
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have just returned from a 4 day break at the Tropico Playa Palma Nova. The hotel is situated accross the road from a lovely clean beach. We went all inclusive as it was only £10 more than half board. The rooms were clean and basic. Towels changed every day and room cleaned every day. The food was edible. Breakfast consisted of all breakfast foods. Lunch soup, salads, main and dessert as was dinner. The only fault I would say was that the main dishes were not very apetising. Although I was able to eat something from the large selection of food.
I noticed that most guest took advantage of all the food and drinks at all time of day. The pool bar served snacks all day. The only disadvantage was the serving of local booze which was disgusting. Even the wine was horrible. Just as well we don't drink much. Part of our holiday is going out in the evening to eat and there was a huge selection of restaurants to choose from at varying costs. We could eat out for anything between 20 euros to 50 euros for 2 people. The bars usually had some kind of entertainment at night. The stadium was great for tribute bands. Were booked with Easyjet and left Glasgow at 5pm and we were in the hotel at 10pm. Great stuff. The only down side was that the all inclusive keeps most people in their hotel and the bars and restaurants can be emptier now.At the pool it was a case of chase the sunshine as parts of the pool were in the shade during the day, however because the beach was so close it didnot matter.
All and all a good holiday

Room Tip: Choose a beach view room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank velvety
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Tropico Playa

Reviewed 10 October 2011

myself and my husband had a great two weeks at the hotel tropico the staff very friendly and helpfull the food was good its very friendly hotel we enjoyed everthing about this hotel that we are going back next yeat so that says it all anne. graham from leeds

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ANNE M
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My friend and myself came back from tropico early this month, although the rooms are pretty basic, no fridge or tv, or even a hair-dryer, but besides that, we had a great time, very friendly staff, that realy work very hard and very long hours, the food may not b what a lot of english people like us, realy like, but was nice, and the walking over the road to the beautiful beach was brilliant, plenty of shops and a lovely walk to magaluf, all in all, was worth going, now i just have to loose the pounds i put on with the food and drink i ate and drunk, well worth going there for a holiday.

Room Tip: Try and get the sea view or pool view,
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank stockbridgeSurrey
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Tropico Playa 23 Sep - 7 Oct 2011.
I was expecting it to be easy to find faults with this hotel, given my research from reviews on places such as Holidaytruths and Trip Advisor, but in reality the only major point that detracts from a regular 3 star offering, is the lack of a TV in the bedroom.
From speaking to other guests, much also depends on which room you are allocated. The ones at the side and rear didn’t appear to be as well received as our room was.

I have placed this review, with pictures contained within the narration, on another forum that allows this (TA doesn't have this facility), which might explain things better.

The hotel is centrally located in Palmanova, opposite the central beach.
Check in is easy, all receptionists speak good English.

The pool area is very much on the small side, however, we was aware of this when booking, so no great surprises for us. The pool area is locked until 9.30am, so no sunbed reserving took place. By going down at 9.25 and waiting for them to open, we always got a sunbed. One end of the pool gets the sun from opening until the shadow starts creeping over from 2 pm ish. By 3.30 the whole area is in shade.
The other end of the pool is mostly shaded, although different spots are sunny as the day goes by.

The pool bar is staffed efficiently by Lola, open from 10am – 6 pm. All drinks available, snacks consist of sandwiches and crisps, popcorn, cakes in the afternoon. There’s also a self service coffee machine.

The access to the pool is via a TV area, full range of UK channels via a Sky box, inc Sky Sports. Many were watching Jeremy Kyle in the mornings!

We were located in the main block, on the 5th floor, which is effectively the top floor, as the floor above isn’t used. Only one small lift available, but never seemed a problem, as there are only about 10 rooms per floor, never had to wait long for the lift.
The room was a typically sized hotel room, no surprises.

I’d have said that the room has had a makeover within the last 2 years, paint still appeared fresh, white grout on the tiles was still ‘white’. Maid service was good, room was clean, regular towel and sheet changes.
Large safe located in the wardrobe, €18 a week to hire, €6 deposit. Fridge also available to hire, €15 per week. I also purchased wi-fi for 2 weeks, cost €20, this worked fine downstairs but the reception was a bit slower and dropped a couple of times in the room when on the 5th floor.

The view from the balcony was superb, panoramic views across the bay.

Also stunning sunrises on offer every day if you are up early enough! Well worth getting up to see in my opinion.

The hotel is all inclusive, and I found that the food offered was of a reasonable quality, in keeping with most Spanish 3 * hotels I have stayed in. There are only so many ways that a 3* hotel can present a cooked breakfast, but for the other meals there was a varied selection. It seemed that sometimes you fancied a bit of everything on offer, other times you wouldn’t fancy anything. Roast beef with proper Yorkshire Puddings one night, Liver, Bacon & Onions another night of particular note. Hot Mussels in White wine one or two lunchtimes.
The food could have been served a bit hotter IMO, and the lack of a microwave is a minus point for me.
I also feel that a selection of fresh bread could be offered, rather than just bread rolls.

The size of the restaurant is small, but it’s a small hotel, only once or twice did we need to wait a few minutes for a table.

I quite enjoyed the jovial way the hotel is run. The dining room experience is quite Fawlty Towers at times, - on purpose. Gail, playing Polly, when informed that the Sangria had run out, told me “Well I don’t drink it so I’m not bothered!” Miguel, effectively the Maitre’D, one day announced, “People, there is a queue, so please eat quickly!”

On the whole the hotel was clean with efficient staff, and in my opinion represented a good value for money option for holidaymakers.
Others that had stayed before the All Inclusive came in this year, said that it was better before. I can’t comment on that.
Perhaps the downfall of an all inclusive hotel that offers competitive prices, is that it attracts groups of people that are seemingly on a mission to drink the hotel dry. We had a couple of groups of males 30 – 50 ages, stay for about 4 day ‘benders’, so relaxing quietly by the pool wasn’t quite achieved whilst they were being boisterous. Not rude or unruly though.

I would go again in if the deal was good.

Room Tip: Ask for main block.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank mark2spark
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I took my mum away for her birthday and when I booked this hotel I was worried after reading the reviews and I didn't need to be worried at all the hotel was clean the staff were fantastic especially Gail and Antonio rooms cleaned everyday food could have been better but it was ok the location of this hotel was brilliant right across the road and shops all down the front not too noisy either met some really friendly people will be booking again for next year and entertainment could be better bingo every night and a few artists on that's it

• Stayed: September 2011